Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 vs. 996 paint? Is it a higher quality paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
I don't really understand that. I think some people claim to be able to see a difference between the shines these products give the car. I cannot, and I find Rejex to be a great long-lasting sealant that is easy to work with. For me it's a no-brainer.
Thanks. For applying it, shall we take old wax off before? or can be applied on top? or wax on top? Is it the same process like wax? Wash, Clay, Wax?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I don't really understand that. I think some people claim to be able to see a difference between the shines these products give the car. I cannot, and I find Rejex to be a great long-lasting sealant that is easy to work with. For me it's a no-brainer.
If you put a polymer based sealant on one half of the hood and a carnauba on the other half (assuming both surfaces are equal and in perfect condition) you should be able to see that the polymer side will reflect light differently than carnauba. Sealants generally offer very high reflective qualities and carnaubas have a warmer glow (depth). Each has its advantages depending on the color and preference. Sealants do last longer so if you want to wax/seal less frequently it is a better solution.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
LOL... Yup, 10yrs ago, a lot more hair...

I think 996 owners don't take good care of their cars, as much as 997 or 993 owners. I see many great looking 993s, but not so much 996, and I think that's purely because 996 has nose-dived in value, while 993 has appreciated, hence owners care is proportional to the value of the car.
I believe the era of the 996 cars also issued in the use of water based paints and the end of solvent based paints in Germany due to stricter pollution by-laws. I have no evidence that the water based paints are less durable than the former paints but find that the paint on my 97 Boxster is "softer" and chips easier than what was on my former Volvo (also a 97) which was often neglected but its finish held up much better.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:38 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
I believe the era of the 996 cars also issued in the use of water based paints and the end of solvent based paints in Germany due to stricter pollution by-laws. I have no evidence that the water based paints are less durable than the former paints but find that the paint on my 97 Boxster is "softer" and chips easier than what was on my former Volvo (also a 97) which was often neglected but its finish held up much better.
Good point!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anecdotally, my 996 GT3 and 964 Speedster paint appears to be softer than my 997.1 paint. I have driven all three cars around the high-desert climate of Utah where it is common place to replace windshields annually... The 997.1 paint has had zero chips, whereas the 964 and 996 have a few that needed to be tended to...

My $0.02
-B
Old 02-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL... Yup, 10yrs ago, a lot more hair...

I think 996 owners don't take good care of their cars, as much as 997 or 993 owners. I see many great looking 993s, but not so much 996, and I think that's purely because 996 has nose-dived in value, while 993 has appreciated, hence owners care is proportional to the value of the car.
Have you been in the 996 forum? Those guys have as much passion for their cars than any other place on RL. Too bad you have seen poor examples in your area. Im sure when the 999 comes out your 997 will be faded and chipped etc etc... Are you tracking your car? Maybe you have seen cars that have been driven hard and enjoyed...?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:10 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aron is correct. The same is with BMWs. Late 90s and early 2000s paint in Germany was a transition to a new generation of water based paints which were quite soft and chipped easily. Its not unusual to repaint a chipped factory front BMW bumper with traditional solvent based paint at a local body shop and having that paint be MUCH more durable.

I don't have much direct experience with the 996 paints, but the 997, while still a bit fragile (its seems to chip easily to me) seems to be a lot better. I am not sure if Porsche started adding ceramics to the paint, as Mercedes has done. Late model Merc paint has some nano ceramic content and is difficult to buff/scratch, and there is even special compounds out there for it.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

Looking at the paint on a lot of 'high line" cars they seem to have a LOT of 'orange peel".
I personally do not think that any of these cars have what I would call a really great smooth paint job
Back in the 80's I had a Black Jaguar XJ6 SIII (1984), the finish on that car was as smooth as glass...nothing these days can match it.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 AM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 996

No issues with the paint on my 03 996 C2, though I had it professionally detailed annually.
Attached Images   
Old 02-17-2012, 07:54 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Alex-

I just applied Rejex to my car last week after a bit of a paint correction with Menzerna SIP (thanks dealership car wash guys!). It looks really nice on white paint. It is not at all abrasive, and I find it VERY easy to apply and to remove.

Last night I was wiping the car down, and I was amazed by how slick the surface felt with Rejex on it compared to when waxes and other sealants were used. I really like it.
Jim,

Give your car another coat of Rejex in about 3 to 4 weeks, and it will be even better. The second coat will be even easier to remove than the initial coat.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. For applying it, shall we take old wax off before? or can be applied on top? or wax on top? Is it the same process like wax? Wash, Clay, Wax?
I would remove the old wax (wash, clay, seal) and then apply the Rejex.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
If you put a polymer based sealant on one half of the hood and a carnauba on the other half (assuming both surfaces are equal and in perfect condition) you should be able to see that the polymer side will reflect light differently than carnauba. Sealants generally offer very high reflective qualities and carnaubas have a warmer glow (depth). Each has its advantages depending on the color and preference. Sealants do last longer so if you want to wax/seal less frequently it is a better solution.
I understand that this is what people say, but I personally do not see the difference. It's kind of like audio equipment. Some people can hear and appreciate the differences between analog and digital, high end and low end speakers, etc. I can't hear the difference, so I don't spend the money on the expensive stuff. I like the protection Rejex gives the paint and its ease of use. That's why I use it.

Originally Posted by gota911
Jim,

Give your car another coat of Rejex in about 3 to 4 weeks, and it will be even better. The second coat will be even easier to remove than the initial coat.
Funny you should say(?) that. I put a second coat on it last night and am taking it off tomorrow.

Last edited by Cowhorn; 02-17-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
To keep any car paint looking new I would use the following approach.

1. Wash soon after the car has been rained on. Using proper washing technique is critical to keeping paint swirl/abrasion free.

2. Wax every 3 months or more often if the car sits outside regularly

3. Keep the car garaged if possible

4. Most important, keep the shiny side up!

Porsche paint isn't bad at all although it does seem to swirl easily!
would really appreciate any additional commentary on this! TIA

Quick Reply: 997 vs. 996 paint? Is it a higher quality paint?