Sponsored by:

Formal self introduction

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM
DDL24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formal self introduction

Been reading and posting for awhile but never owned a P car till I bot a 997.1 about 3 months ago. Attached few photos but those were dealer photos when the previous owner bot the car about a year ago from that Chicago area P-car dealer. The PO bought it in 2010 as a CPO and put on about 1000 miles in a year. I bot it from him last December. Reason he is selling? “wants a 997.2 with PDK so I can drink coffee on the way to work.” I was glad to rescue the car from him.
It’s a fairly basic C2 Cab, triple black, stick, Bose, painted console, heated/power seats with memory, 19” SportDesign. CPO till September 2012. 36.8k miles at time of sale, currently 38.6k. PPI showed no concern and was blessed again by a local long time P-Car indy shop.
I like cars and been 20+ year of car magazine subscriber. But I am a practical guy and never aspired to own a fancy car. So I am not one of those who wanted the P car as a young boy… I gradually acquired the taste for German cars since I got a ride in a classmate’s VW Passat back in 2000 and promptly went for its twin, Audi A4. That’s when I know I am German car type of guy. Fancy electronics doesn’t interest me but the subtle shake and music from a performance engine will get me going. I simply wanted a convertible as a toy to go with my BMW daily driver. I test drove most 2/4 seaters on the market within my tight budget and never thought about 911. I seriously looked at Z4 but just can’t bring myself to love the car and made the mistake of try a 987 Boxster base and that’s what caught my attention to the brand of Porsche. But I ultimately went with a A4 Cab since I needed back seat and thought for a convertible, I don’t need much performance. I was wrong and within few months, I was tired of the car because I bot the A4 cab using my head and not my heart. So I sold the A4 and went back in the market again. I still love the Boxster because of it’s much easier for me to extract more out of it but I have a young kid and need the back seat. I test drove few 996 and almost pulled trigger but my heart says 997 simply I like the exterior and interior better. I am still in the honeymoon phase, getting the itch for a drive, peeking in the garage, staring at the curves, blip the engine…lots of childish behavior for a grown up guy. But you know the saying…the difference between a man and a boy…I digress.
RL
Attached Images       
Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome DDL24

You are among friends here.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 PM
kes7u
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Fantastic post!

I love your car and truly appreciate your excitement!

Enjoy in good health.

Kevin
Old 02-13-2012, 05:07 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great! Triple black is perfection when freshly washed... Enjoy the Cab this spring and summer on those great roads in MD and VA!

-B
Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I LOVE that you don't have that ugly plastic cover on your backseats, and it's all leather back. Makes a BIG difference on the car.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I LOVE that you don't have that ugly plastic cover on your backseats, and it's all leather back. Makes a BIG difference on the car.
That's the way the standard seats come. Only if you order the Adaptive Sports Seats do you get the plastic junk--unless you pay more like a few of us did!

Welcome to RL, RL.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 AM
DDL24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I am not aware that there is difference in back cover material between different type of seats. I am not very particular about the color when it comes to cars; like blue/tan combo but other colors are good too. After I got this car, I realized that Black interior is, IMHO, very easy to maintain.
I can't wait till spring time to drop the top and hear the engine even better. My 4 year old daughter already told me, "daddy, whenever you take me out, only use the balck car. but you use the other car when you go out by youself." priceless....must be in the blood.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Honeymoon period? I've had mine 4.5 years and I still glance back at it, pine to drive it, blip the throttle, take pictures of it etc... Get use to it! Welcome.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So when do you plan to sell the BMW?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:17 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
That's the way the standard seats come. Only if you order the Adaptive Sports Seats do you get the plastic junk--unless you pay more like a few of us did!

Welcome to RL, RL.
Really? I have to check on that. I've seen MANY non-adaptive with plastic backing... maybe Standard seats are fake-leather back, but all sport seats have plastic back!?

Quick Reply: Formal self introduction