Sponsored by:

Long time Porsche Owner giving a Ferrari a try

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:22 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Way to crap on someone's thread.... Not cool.
What are you talking about???
Old 02-11-2012, 02:56 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Well, all I know is that the 360 looks great

Congrats and enjoy
Old 02-11-2012, 03:46 PM
f1pilota
Intermediate

I will predict that you have very few problems with your 360. Enjoy it... Drive it. Many people suffer because their jewel sits in the garage. This is trouble on any machine. I know many people with 360 and 430s.... No issues. I will tell you one of the previous posters are somewhat correct on the headers. I have seen some cracked headers. Always open your engine hatch after a drive to dissipate the heat. It helps to not cook the engine bay.

In terms of engineering I'm not impressed with any American OR European manufactures. Real engineering can be found on Japanese cars that go forever with little cost or replacement parts. Japanese cars work inside and out for 300k miles. If our Porsches were so greatly engineered how do we have IMS issues. My old 944 S2 had carpets that turned to dust, cracked cheap dashes, and all manner of interior degradation. They've been building this style of engine for eternity. Look at the NSX for a standard to build by.

One thing rarely mentioned is Ferraris power per liter... It is a highly engineered unit... My F355 challenge revs to 8500rpm... Such a sweet sound.

Good luck with your car and have fun when they move Porsches, Mercedes and all manner of sports and luxury cars to give you the best spot at the restaurant. Pretentious I know.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:00 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Give it to me!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:34 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a friend who used to have a 308 GTB, and I would love to have a comparable one. But my Porsche has been as maintenance free as my wife's Honda. And his was a labor of love.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by henchpilot
Hey guys, never really posted here but have enjoyed browsing and especially using the search function when a question would arise. I've owned at least one Porsche and at sometimes two over the last 15 years. Porsche 944, 968, 986, 987S, few 996's, and my current 997S. Can't speak higher about each of the P cars I've owned and I truly miss something about each of them, and besides the timing belt slipping on the old 944(which was my fault) they've all been amazingly reliable cars with no huge problems.

With that being said I hope I have not made a mistake in recently purchasing a 2002 Ferrari 360 coupe gated 6speed. I seemed to get the bug looking at F cars about 9 months ago and knowing how much the 360's have depreciated in the last few years with the 430's and 458's most recently I bought a great priced and well serviced one about 3 weeks ago.

Now I've got a hard decision to make. I absolutely love my current Porsche. It's a midnight blue 2005 S with Sports C, full leather, adaptive sport seats, nav etc....its the best car I've ever owned. Both the 997 and the F car are second drivers and I don't know how much I'll regret getting rid of the Porsche. I thought hard about keeping both, I can afford it, but really don't want to baby both cars at the moment. Never had such a hard time deciding to sell a car before........

Any suggestions from anybody that's owned both I'd like to hear it. I love the Ferrari 360 right now but of course it's new to me.

Anybody or know anybody looking for a nice 997 S I posted a link to the autotrader ad.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Congrats on the new 360, enjoy!!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I have a friend who used to have a 308 GTB, and I would love to have a comparable one. But my Porsche has been as maintenance free as my wife's Honda. And his was a labor of love.
nothing wrong with a labor of love :-)

Congrats on the car... I'm sure you'll love it. If not, sell it and get back into a Porsche.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new car... I spend time on FChat from time to time, reading and learning... Please keep us posted on the maintance costs and reliability of your 360. I still think the 360 is one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever made. Enjoy it!

-Blake
Old 02-12-2012, 11:18 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

I love the 360 as well... Enjoy the new ride.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 PM
henchpilot
Advanced

Thanks everyone, though the 360 is not my dd I plan to enjoy her. The more days outside the garage the better.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Here's a tip......

Get one of these:
http://smartercharger.com/products/b...multi-us-3300/

and one of these:
http://smartercharger.com/accessories/#comfort-connect

You need to keep your 360 on a battery maintainer all the time if you don't drive it everyday. If your battery goes dead, remove it from the car, recharge it, and reinstall. You can run into all sorts of ECU problems from jump starting. Then you would get a chance to learn the "Shaman's dance" required to reset and for the ECU relearn. It's all part of the Ferrari "charm". On a F430 there is an ECU for each cylinder bank. I assume the 360 is similar.

Forza Ferrari!

Last edited by Fred R. C4S; 02-12-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2012, 11:54 PM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by henchpilot
Thanks everyone, though the 360 is not my dd I plan to enjoy her. The more days outside the garage the better.
I see you beckon from Houston. If you need assistance keeping the car fresh, let me know. I'll keep the revs high so the alternator charges that pesky battery, so the coking gets blown out of the cylinders, and so the water burns off of the fluids.

I won't charge you much either.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 AM
henchpilot
Advanced

Charger was the 1st thing I bought, luckily the car was equipped with plug behind the drivers seat.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 430 because I wanted the experience of owning and driving it. I didn't spend a lot of time analyzing its reliability, because that really wasn't part of the equation. If the only thing that mattered to me was reliability, I would have bought an Accord, which most would agree is easier, cheaper to maintain than a Ferrari or a Porsche. To me, it's all about the experience. I don't spend a lot of time trying to understand the engineering pros and cons, because all of that become irrelevant when I'm driving and appreciating the way the car takes a turn or listening to the rumble of the engine. I suppose we all draw a line somewhere between practicality, cost, maintenance, and experience. I focus more on the experience, and I suspect most people on here who decided to purchase a Porsche over a Honda also value it a little more than others. My view is enjoy the purchase for as long as you can, and at some point if you get tired of it for whatever reason, move on to something else.

Good luck with your Ferrari and as others have said, drive it. I've never bought into the idea of buying an experience car to just stare at it.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 PM
f1pilota
Intermediate

Well said John.

Quick Reply: Long time Porsche Owner giving a Ferrari a try