Sponsored by:

Anyone know this car and/or Select Luxury in GA

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Anyone know this car and/or Select Luxury in GA

Hey fellas - I am looking at this 997 from Select Luxury in GA and I was wondering if anyone knows this car or has dealt with this dealership?

It is a 2006 Carrera S Cabrio, Atlas and gray. The car has just about all the options I want, (except for sport seats), and seems to be priced right. I spoke to Mike and he was very patient and helpful and has all of the service records from the previous owner. All of the work was done at a Porsche dealer, and one showed a new clutch less than a year ago (nice!).

Just looking for feedback on this dealer, or this car if you know it, and your thoughts on pricing. I know it is not exactly spring/summer in a lot of the US, but I would think prices on cabrio's would be going up shortly?

Thanks and here's the link:

http://www.selectluxury.com/web/used...orgia/2289767/
Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

A new clutch at 40,000 miles?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I think its better to have a new clutch than to guess if the prev owner knew how to drive one ...
Old 02-08-2012, 03:05 PM
mattxbart
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering about pricing as well since I'm in the market for a 997.1 C2S (coupe) so I'll chime in.

I think prices are going to drop on the 997.1 (no surprise), time is your friend. I wouldn't be comfortable with $50K+, especially if it didn't have all the options I wanted. To even consider $50K from a dealer it should have some kind of warranty and full leather interior... something that makes it stand far above examples going in the $40K range private party and just a perfect fit. The new clutch might be a bonus but I wonder why the owner would fix it then dump it with only 40K miles. I would pass on it and find something closer to you so you can drive and have it inspected at a reputable mechanic that you trust without the added pressure of travel.

Being a Porsche buyer right now is awesome, there are so many generations to choose from at virtually any price point. I'm trying to take my time, but it is proving very difficult!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. The story goes that this is a VERY experienced, savvy and **** Porsche owner. He purchased this car from Select, had it for a while, and then traded it back to them for a 2007 Turbo.

The fact that it has a new clutch at 40K doesn't really bother me. I have never had one last that long!

Keep the opinions coming.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

My car had a new clutch fitted by the dealer selling it at 41,000 miles. The car needed a new RMS and they replaced the clutch whilst the gearbox was off. I didn't think anything of it and I got a new clutch which I was happy with.

In your case the previous owner could have done lots of hill starts, not put the car into neural at traffic lights, rested their foot on the clutch whilst driving, changed gear badly or tried a few launches. You'll never know how the car has been driven. The clutch is a wear item, it's been replaced and you have a new one. Bonus.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm not sure why you would settle for a car without the seats you want.

The price seems fair if you compare it to similar cars. Of course thats only the asking price.
http://autos.aol.com/used-detail--87...11-2006/price/

Used car prices are going up in general, thank cash for clunkers for that, 997.1 may go down with the 991, but I dont think you will see much change anytime soon. I just hope that the selection may improve a bit

I do agree that you should wait for the car that has everything you want, I've been shopping for 6 months now and still looking

Remember the internet has many sites to help you find your dream car, no one site has all listings out there.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for the replies.

I seem to have a pretty narrow field to choose from as the colors I am looking for don't make up a large number of cars produced. Here is what I need and what I want:

Needs to be:
2006-2007 carrera S
40K miles or less
cabrio or hard top - either is OK
Atlas or Midnight blue ONLY
no tan/saddle/cream interior

would also like:
sport chrono
sport seats
nav

I agree that used car prices seem to be going up, and prices for cabrio's this time of year are only going to go up.

as for finding a perfect car with the exact options I am looking for? I'm not sure of production numbers, but I think it would be easier to add sport seats later than to give up something else I am looking for which cannot be retrofitted.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:49 PM
MartyB
Racer

Select Luxury is about 15 minutes from my office - I try to swing by there about once a month to see what they have. They move a LOT of high end cars, including Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo, Rolls, Bentley and so on. They have always told me that the majority of their sales are to out of town buyers over the internet. I will tell you that every single time I've ever been there, they have a mobile auto painter/ding fixer in the back lot. They seem to do a good job on touchups, but you might want to ask if they have done ANY work on the car at all, including touchups. If you're serious and you'd like for me to put eyes on the car and possibly drive it, I might be able to swing by. I have an '08 S coupe that I bought new, so I know how it should feel.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 PM
MartyB
Racer

Forgot to mention, SL's pricing usually seems realistic. They claim to price their cars appropriately so they don't sit on the lot for long, and most cars don't But they don't usually offer big discounts from asking price. Your mileage may vary - I've never gotten serious about buying from them.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 PM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

No opinion of them, even though they're in my backyard so to speak, but it's always smart to get a PPI.

Let me know if you want a reference in that department.

P.S. Atlas Gray is by far the finest color ever made by any car maker, and grants you an extra 12hp.

P.P.S. but seriously, I really like my Atlas Gray Carrera. Has a lot of character and I continuously get comments on it from fellow p-car owners.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

there is a dark blue 2007 with 42k miles for sale by pcar dealer in Colorado. its been for sale for a whole and the price has gone down to 48ish from mid 50's. no affiliation etc...
Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my 2009 cab S from Select Luxury. Take their asking price and subtract $10,000 and start and finish approximately there. You can PM me if you would like any more details.
cheers!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Thank you guys for the replies.

Marty B - I REALLY appreciate the offer to personally check out the car for me, but I am not ready to pull the trigger on this one I don't think. If you happen by there any time soon, let me know what you think of it, but please don't make a special trip just for me.

Michael WWW - I am surprised by your reply about pricing. I threw out a number ($46,000 - about 10% off their asking price) to try and get the conversation started, and the only reply I got was "we cannot sell the car for $46,000." No counter offer, no retort. I was very surprised.

I guess the economy must be getting better after all.

I need to modify my list from above:

Needs to be:
2006-2007 carrera S
6-speed
40K miles or less
cabrio or hard top - either is OK
Atlas or Midnight blue ONLY
no tan/saddle/cream interior

would also like:
sport chrono
sport seats
nav
cabrio
Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.selectluxury.com/web/used...orgia/1302035/
Here is a Mercedes that has dropped $11,000 from their initial asking price. I may have inflated the figure on your particular vehicle. I would think a used car dealer that deals with "emotional" purchases has got the upper hand until you inspect the car. Of course they will pretend to be offended by your initial offer but stick to your guns. They are not a Porsche dealer even though their web layout mimics it rather well. Go to Champion Porsche and compare. Looks like your prospect spent some time in Florida.

Quick Reply: Anyone know this car and/or Select Luxury in GA