Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone sprung for a torque biasing differential?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Tito_gsx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone sprung for a torque biasing differential?

Didn't get a response from 6speed, thinking RL peeps are more likely to provide feedback on diffs....

Interesting read on from Guard Transmission

http://www.guardtransmission.com/tech_faq.html

Sounds to me the torque biasing diff is good option for autox, street and some track use. And I believe its maintenance free.

Anyone try one; Guard, Quaife, other? Curious how much it helps on street, autox and track.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 08:19 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Tito,

You will probably get a LOT more responses and feedback if you post this on the 997 GT2/GT3 Forum. Some of the hard core track guys there have "toasted" the OEM diff. lock and a few have replaced it with the Gard unit.

Go to the 997 GT2/GT3 Forum, grab your favorite beverage, do an Advanced Search on LSD (search Titles Only), and you will get 35 threads. Sit back and enjoy the read.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:56 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

We put one in my BMW when we rebuilt the motor and it has been great.

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Differentials

They also make an aftermarket rack and pinion setup that I wish I had done.

Don't know how any of this would play in the Porsche, but in the BMW it is worth it.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Tito_gsx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gota911 - your right gt3 forum has some really good content, was wondering if any carrera guys did the diff change. From what I gather, changing a diff on a C2S is not very common probably because most of those drivers aren't as loco as gt guys.

sclemmons - good to hear your diff worked out for you. When I autox my car last year, I didn't feel that having no diff was holding me back (mainly the driver). First thing first, drive my car more
Old 02-05-2012, 08:15 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I haven't heard of many Carrera owners installing a proper diff in the cars that came with an open rear diff. (TBH that just goes to show that most Carrera owners are posers, not real drivers, since a diff is the first thing a real driver would put in this car).

The GT3 guys like the plate type LSD's because they provide some lockup on deceleration (good for the track).

The Cayman guys have done a bunch of Quaife TBD installs and most say it's great :

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...ew-inside.html

http://www.planet-9.com/site-vendors...ders-only.html

For a mostly-street car, TBD has various advantages over plate-type diffs.

Changing the final drive ratio would also be a huge benefit to the Carrera, but again I've never heard of anyone doing it (GT guys do it of course).
Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

LSD was available as an options on carreras, no? I suspect you'll start to see more people changing the diffs as the 997 cars start to get older and transmissions start to wear out or get damaged. That's when people will be doing the upgrades. Also when the 997 model gets a bit older it will become a more fiscally attainable track car option.

Quick Reply: Anyone sprung for a torque biasing differential?