Sponsored by:

when does the new car warranty start

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:33 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts
Default when does the new car warranty start

does it start at the first registration/in service date, or its build date? and what is the length of the warranty, miles and/or time?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:40 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

From what I've gathered here on this forum, warranties start when the car is "punched" (i.e. the in-service date).
Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by kkswow12
does it start at the first registration/in service date, or its build date? and what is the length of the warranty, miles and/or time?
When the car is reported 'sold' to PCNA. This can be when a buyer walks in to the dealer and buys the car or it can be when the dealer reports the car sold which is I have second hand info is to improve/polish its standing with Porsche.

If you have any questions about when a car's warranty started IIRC you can call PCNA customer service and with the car's VIN someone there can tell you when (if) the car's warranty clock started.

New car warranty in the USA is 4 years, 50K miles.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:10 PM
1985mb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
When the car is reported 'sold' to PCNA. This can be when a buyer walks in to the dealer and buys the car or it can be when the dealer reports the car sold which is I have second hand info is to improve/polish its standing with Porsche.
In my experience with other brands, the latter scenario has to do with taking advantage of a factory rebate/incentive that is expiring. So the dealer will take the money even if it means the possibility of losing some money on the eventual sale (if the buyer notices the punched 'in service' date and consequent reduction in warranty time).
Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM
msrst47
AutoX

Both 1985mb and Macster are correct. I sold Porsche's for 4 years and we "punched" cars for both reason's. All you have to do is ask your salesman for a printout of the vehicle's options from PPN (Porsche's internal computer network) and right on the top by the VIN # it will state the In Service date. If there is nothing there, then the warranty has not yet started. If there is a date there, then it is 4 years or 50,000 miles from that date. This is all assuming that you are looking at a brand new car.

If you are looking at a pre-owned vehicle, look on that same printout and see if it states Porsche Certified Pre-owned or non Porsche Certified Pre-owned (should be listed in the top section by the VIN#). If it is a CPO, then the warranty is 6 years or 100,000 miles from the original in-service date. If it is a non-certified pre-owned vehicle, then it's the balance of the factory 4 year 50,000 mile warranty

Last edited by msrst47; 02-02-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I custom ordered my Boxster in August of 2005 with the understanding that I would not take delivery until late March of 2006. I found a dealership that had an open build allocation in January. This worked out great, since the car would be built in January and arrive stateside in February.

The car arrived by mid February and they informed me it was ready. I reminded them I did not want the car until late March.

I took delivery on Monday, March 27th. They "punched" the book sometime in mid February. I never realized this until 4 years later as the car was coming off warranty.

I was not happy about this and called PCNA. They were very helpful and pretty much told me if I had a warranty claim prior to March 27, 2010......they would have "covered" me. They even called about 1 week prior to the end of March to see if I had the car out of winter hibernation yet (I did not).

No issues. I was not happy to learn about the differences in dates. But, in the end I was pleased with the way Porsche handled it.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

thanks guys, but this car and i are in germany, car came from italy last week, and i was thinking it was 5 years, my bad, but good stuff to know for future, this car was built in dec 2007 and in service may 2008, so i was thinking i might have some warranty left but ... not, when it is 4 yrs, thanks again, kk
Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM
msrst47
AutoX

I would definatley double check with your local dealer b/c I do know Europe has different rules governing the warranties than the US. If it went in service in May of 2008 and it is a 4 year warranty, you should have a few months of warranty left. Your local dealer should be able to check this in a matter of minuetes with the VIN #
Old 02-03-2012, 01:32 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

thanks again, just realized that i do have a few months left, time to drive...this gettin old **** is getting old...
Old 02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 991 Likes on 512 Posts

It is important to check the in service date. I purchased a new 08 Cayman S out of state and the salesman didn't bother telling me the car had been punched 12 months prior to my purchasing it. I won't be doing business with that dealership again.

Quick Reply: when does the new car warranty start