Sponsored by:

Oil level Q

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:35 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Oil level Q

About a mile from home this morning I got a check oil level message on my 09C4S. I pull over and do so. I get a reading of all bars, i.e., one past the max level. I drove a few more miles to the office. I checked again and got the same thing.

What is strange is that I have not added oil since the car had its two-year service including oil change at the dealer last August and I have not gotten the check oil level message before. Should I be concerned? Next steps, if any?

I add that I had been running errands before this so the car was up to operating temp, I was on a level surface and so on. The car doesn't burn oil at all BTW. Indeed last year in 6000M it went through .5L.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also get this warning if it is well above the max level. The trigger could have happened with extra moisture absorption or normal oil temp increase above what you have had since last fill up.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Seems like only 2 possible explanations. Either your oil level indicator is faulty, or after the oil change your level was very close to overfill and moisture accumulation in the sump pushed it over the top (ie Bijan is correct). I'd guess the latter. You could obviously try to drain a little oil. Alternatively, get the car fully up to operating temp and give it a good long, hard run to burn off any potential contaminants, then see where you stand.

Quick Reply: Oil level Q