Sponsored by:

Once an RMS, always an RMS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012 | 12:42 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Default Once an RMS, always an RMS?

I have what is hopefully an easy, quick question:

Is a car with a properly repaired RMS more prone to future RMS leaks than a car that hasn't had an RMS leak at all? Or does the repair make it "good as new?"

- Mike
Old 01-29-2012 | 01:41 PM
sharmat
Pro

Form what I read about the issue. If you have an RMS problem and it gets repaired properly with the newer type seal it resolves the problem in a large majority of cases. But I'm sure there may be a few who had it done more than once.
FWIW... I have an early build '05 C2. RMS has been dry without issues.
Old 01-29-2012 | 05:29 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Is a car with a properly repaired RMS more prone to future RMS leaks than a car that hasn't had an RMS leak at all? Or does the repair make it "good as new?"
First of all, RMS leak is just never (well, almost never) a big deal, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As to your question - well it depends on the cause of the RMS leak. Sometimes there was just a problem in the install of the gasket, or it got damaged somehow. In that case, the fix is permanent.

In other cases, the problem is actually an imperfection in the case, or that the case is flexing under load or changing too much with temperature or something like that. If that is the cause, then replacing the seal is just a band-aid and it will leak again soon.

These recurrent bad RMS leaks seem to mainly plague the generally great GT3 engine, not the normal 997 so much.
Old 01-29-2012 | 06:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by mgordon18
I have what is hopefully an easy, quick question:

- Mike
My experience is with my 02 Boxster which had its original RMS (and IMS end plate/bolts) replaced (upgraded) in 02 at around 25K miles has remained oil tight all these years, and miles. Over 225K miles.

Frankly I worry more about the too many multi-thousand pound barely guided cruise missiles on wheels driven (Hah!) by some butthead on a cell phone around my Porsche than I do about RMS (or IMS) issues.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-29-2012 | 07:35 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

I had my then new 99 996 RMS replaced at 6000 miles in 1999. Never leaked again. Traded it in this last Nov with 50000 miles. Since this was replaced with an early seal, we know they tried a number of versions, I think a lot has to do with the quality of install.

Quick Reply: Once an RMS, always an RMS?