Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking with kids in the car?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking with kids in the car?!?

Just wondering what the age limit (if there is one) to be able to take your kid(s) in the car with you on the track with POC or any other Porsche track events.

My 8 year old was upset with me because I told him, he's way too young and that he is not even supposed to sit in the front seat. However he found a youtube video of a kid riding in the front seat while his dad was on the track with him.

I know at BMWCCA (I'm an instructor) I saw some teenagers riding with their parents who were instructors but I'm not sure if that was legit or not.

Just curious for your input.

Cheers!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16-18 y/o seems to be the norm with PCA events. Both PCA and BMW haev programs in place for "junior" drivers as well. I recall as a kid (8-10y.o) going out with my folks, but that was the 1970s. Things are a bit different these days (waivers, wristbands, obviously short passengers with helmets just above the dash )
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
MusicCity_997
Intermediate

Each group will likely have different age limits. SCCA requires riders to be 12 or older for auto-x but some groups I've run with (auto-x and DE) don't allow any passengers unless you are a registered/paid participant so by default you would have to be 16 or older.

Remember, in the event you are involved in an accident, helmets are relatively heavy for those little kid's necks and that little youngster's neck may not be able to handle the g-force. I wouldn't risk my daughter's safety.

Some groups do "parade" laps during lunch which are very slow so that could suffice to get him out on the track at a safe pace. Best of both worlds for parent and youngster.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:33 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 855 Likes on 469 Posts

Also check out the BMW CCA events for teen drivers and their car control clinics. Seem like an excellent way to intro your kids to the perils and joys of driving and to teach some skills that may prove useful in the event of the worse case scenarios occuring.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabeproracer
Just wondering what the age limit (if there is one) to be able to take your kid(s) in the car with you on the track with POC or any other Porsche track events.

Cheers!
With PCA if there are 2 people in the car - one should have red band (instructor), other person should have driver license. it applies to any events.
only exception is when there are charity or paid rides done by pros at event and they take passengers.

say thanks to domestic insurance mafia for this, as that is what they require to insure any auto events.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've done 'parade laps' with my cars and young daughters (10 and 13 at the time) through PCA charity events at Road America and Gingerman. You sign a simple waiver. Great fun.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

I think that video was at an autocross..maybe different rules apply there.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 PM
crabman
AutoX

I've been to many track events over the years, and have seen my share of crashes. Also, I've seen several people leave the track in the back of ambulances, and am aware of at least two deaths of fellow track hobbyists. Even the best drivers screw up, and even if you don't, things could always break.

You're an adult, and you know the risks. Would you seriously consider imposing these risks on your child?

I don't want to be a killjoy, but c'mon. . . kids get mad at parents all the time. Sometimes, we tell our kids "no", because that's the right answer.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:22 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

+1 for BMW CCA car control clinics for teens and new drivers.

Regarding track time - take the kids out on DE parade laps during lunch.

Quick Reply: Tracking with kids in the car?!?