Sponsored by:

997.2 on Race Track Willow Springs wear/tear report

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 997.2 on Race Track Willow Springs wear/tear report

I spent the last two Days at Willow springs. Thanks to my RL friends I came more than prepared. I still can't wipe the grin off my face....and my cheeks still hurt from smiling. It was seriously way too much fun. I have to give big cuddos to the Alpha club for organizing such a great event. I had a max of 6 other cars on the track with me during my sessions. There were 8 30 minute runs, 2 in am , 2 in pm on each day. So four hours of track time. Averaging 88-92 mph. Average times 1:49-1:52...most right around 150. Used Harry's Lap Timer Pro application on Iphone to keep track of Gs/lap times/speeds etc.. it worked GREAT. I'd highly reccomend it. You could look over a an interactive map of the track and see your speed and g's in each section for each lap. You just turn it one, tell it what track your at and put the phone in your center consol...then drive into the hot pit...It's gps tracking know's when your at the start line...so you don't have to fuss with anything.
Best part was hitting the end of the front straight, shifting into 5th and running to 130 before hitting the brakes and slicing into turn one was orgasmic. The g's, the speed, the sounds, the friends...If you haven't taken your car to the track I'd highly suggest it!!! Just be sure to follow all of the advice on this forum- come prepared, listen to your instructor - leave ego at home.
As for wear and tear- the biggest would again be my cheek muscles from smiling so much - man they are sore!
To be expected, the new pss tires look like someone took a blow torch to them.....but I maybe only used up 1/8 of actual tread depth I posted some pics, and it burned through 1/2 quart of oil. Not sure on the brakes, they still look like a huge amount of pad left - but you don't use your brakes too much on WSIR. The blue tape helped tremendously. The only place I had pits /rock chips was from my first run when I didn't cover up the headlights...(fixed that for run #2) and a few small ones on the windshield- no biggy.
I couldn't help but feel when I was leaving to drive home that I was taking my thouroughbred race horse back to the DD petting zoo.
Attached Images   

Last edited by SBPORSCHE; 01-23-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-23-2012, 02:04 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome! that's the way a Porsche tire is supposed to look

hopefully I'll see you at some events later this year.

Quick Reply: 997.2 on Race Track Willow Springs wear/tear report