Sponsored by:

RSS under drive pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSS under drive pulley?

I have my finger on the trigger to buy this pulley... but wanted to check with the list and see if any one has any experience with it. Its part number 608. I have a light weight fw and I read that its recommended to get the gt3 pulley.... thoughts comments on this instead??

Steven
05 c2s
Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I have the RSS pulley on a Cayman S. Its usually used to slow up accessory drive speeds and is thought to help with P/S issues. I don't think its weight reduction is significant and would not buy one for that reason. There is a boss cast on the engine used for valve timing which must be reduced in depth to fit the pulley. Some believe that this could cause a problem with any warantee issue.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I also had an underdrive pulley on my Boxster to help save the power steering pump on track days. It's a known issue with that engine configuration, and yes you have to grind down a tab on the engine case to fit the pulley. I liked the change in steering feedback that came with the swap, but be aware that the same belt drives the alternator so if you drive infrequently or take a lot of short trips you may need to supplement your battery with time on a charger.

I also had an IMS failure on that engine, and my dealer swapped the original pulley back in (save your parts!) before covering the replacement under warranty. So it's not a given that this will void your warranty, but be aware that touching your motor can shift the burden of future repairs into your pocket.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wrong about the front pully GT3 issue... That is you go from a GT3 to GT3 RS flywheel....

SO I think I am in for getting this pulley... Maybe next week. I am a couple weeks away from being able to install it any way... I have some make some baby gates over the next week or so my one year old keeps crawling up the stairs in the foyer..

cviles,
What did you do to your '2' ? I have a 91 Turbo MR2 that is my commuter car... I live in Spring TX.

Quick Reply: RSS under drive pulley?