Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 GTS coupe available for Excellence comparo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

I would offer mine out here in NJ. 6spd but with sport suspension PASM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:49 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,311 Likes on 610 Posts

I am starting to wonder how many GTS coupes were ordered with the sport suspension...and starting to suspect it was a lot of them.

Interesting because everyone at Porsche I've spoken with says Sport PASM, which is borrowed from the existing setup in the narrow 997-2 Carrera coupe, eliminates the custom suspension setup for the GTS that caused Achleitner to fall in love with the GTS, saying it's the older 911 he would buy with his own money when I interviewed him upon the introduction of the 991. Having tried both, I must say this is the first time I can recall preferring Porsche's standard suspension to its sport suspension. The GTS Cabrio with standard PASM was stupid good on back roads...and I'd like to know if that carries over to the GTS coupe.

Anyone?

pete
Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
I am starting to wonder how many GTS coupes were ordered with the sport suspension...and starting to suspect it was a lot of them.

Interesting because everyone at Porsche I've spoken with says Sport PASM, which is borrowed from the existing setup in the narrow 997-2 Carrera coupe, eliminates the custom suspension setup for the GTS that caused Achleitner to fall in love with the GTS, saying it's the older 911 he would buy with his own money when I interviewed him upon the introduction of the 991. Having tried both, I must say this is the first time I can recall preferring Porsche's standard suspension to its sport suspension. The GTS Cabrio with standard PASM was stupid good on back roads...and I'd like to know if that carries over to the GTS coupe.

Anyone?

pete
I am confused now, are you classifying "Sport Suspension" as "PASM", or you mean the "Sport PASM", meaning PASM is *ok*? I really doubt ANYONE ordered GTS without PASM!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:45 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone?

pete
it may be a trick to find many without the best option for GTS car on this forum as most people here are performance oriented. SPASM was a best option factory ever offered - stiffer less bulky ride, lowered car and free LSD. no wonder they would advice against it, they were probably losing money on that deal.
GT Guards LSD alone costs $3K and then there is also quite a pricey labor to put it in.

same with 997.2 gt3 cars - i would be suprised to find many GT3 or GT3 RS without SPASM here, people here know quite well what do they order. SPASM is not as good as adjustable JRZ/Moton/Ohlin but it is a pretty good suspension.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a white GTS coupe w/PDK and spasm...located in Ventura, we need a SoCal GTS meet/ride in the SM mountains soon...
Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I am in LA and have a GTS cab with 6 speed and standard suspension.

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

it may be a trick to find many without the best option for GTS car on this forum
The best option is the one the individual wnats on their car.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 164 Posts

...it looks like I may be contacting quimna given my preference for the "right" suspension over the "right" transmission...
Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
I am confused now, are you classifying "Sport Suspension" as "PASM", or you mean the "Sport PASM", meaning PASM is *ok*? I really doubt ANYONE ordered GTS without PASM!
GTS was never offered without PASM. It was PASM (standard) or Sport PASM. We're looking for a GTS coupe with the standard suspension because it's a better comparison to a 991 without any sort of "sport suspension."

I have driven both GTS setups extensively and had a day in three 991s, so I'd like to think I've got some sense of what I am after and why. However, I do not mean to offend anyone here for their choice for their car!!! There have also been some great ideas thrown out, and I may look at how we might meet those.

Cheers!

pete
Old 01-11-2012, 02:15 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leader
"Right" was in quotation marks for a reason, and "right" in this case is for the purposes of the article in our efforts to equalize the cars as much as possible. Given the 991 we are testing, that means GTS coupe with standard suspension and a six-speed manual.

pete
Old 01-11-2012, 02:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The best option is the one the individual wnats on their car.
Agreed.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 164 Posts

"Right" was in quotation marks for a reason, and "right" in this case is for the purposes of the article in our efforts to equalize the cars as much as possible. Given the 991 we are testing, that means GTS coupe with standard suspension and a six-speed manual.
I know. I know. It just would have been fun to take part in this.
And, since there is no emoticon for 'disappointed,' I used the sad face.
I'm keeping my license plate; I promise.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Okay, I must admit I wish I had said this from the start, so my apologies there:

We're looking for a GTS coupe in Northern California, Central Coast, or Southern California that does not have "Sport Suspension (-20 mm) Including Limited Slip Rear Differential" (option code P17, for $950).

The standard GTS suspension was a one-off for the GTS and is sporting, where the P17 sport suspension setup appears to have been a carry over from the standard Carrera S given my conversations with Porsche engineers. That's irrelevant, however, as my time in two GTS coupes with P17 told me that is not the setup to pitch the 991 against.

Thanks!!!!

pete
Old 01-11-2012, 04:14 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"same with 997.2 gt3 cars - i would be suprised to find many GT3 or GT3 RS without SPASM here, people here know quite well what do they order. SPASM is not as good as adjustable JRZ/Moton/Ohlin but it is a pretty good suspension."

I didn't know Gt3 cars (.2) had option for Sport Pasm. Is that ROW or all?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:01 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chago996
"same with 997.2 gt3 cars - i would be suprised to find many GT3 or GT3 RS without SPASM here, people here know quite well what do they order. SPASM is not as good as adjustable JRZ/Moton/Ohlin but it is a pretty good suspension."

I didn't know Gt3 cars (.2) had option for Sport Pasm. Is that ROW or all?
No optional suspension for GT3 models, in any of the 997 versions. All came with PASM as standard, and a more sporting/trackday-optimized version than any of the Carrera-spec setups.

pete

Quick Reply: 997 GTS coupe available for Excellence comparo?