Sponsored by:

Killed my battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Killed my battery

OK Yesterday was an amazingly warm day here in Ct. for January, so I took the car out of the garage so I could sweep the floor.
When I put the car back in after plugging in the trickle charger, it seems that I left the key in the ignition. (Possibly in the on position?)

Today when I looked at the car, the rear wing had extended, and the battery seems dead. I could not remove the key... Locked in place.

There was a single red warning light on (possible the airbag?)
I removed the trickle charger and the light went off. Plugged it back in, no light on the dash.

Will the trickle charger be able to bring the battery back overnight so that I can remove the key, and access the battery?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will take a trickle charger quite a while to fully recharge your battery. If you don't have a full size charger then I would use a set of jumper cables to get the key unstuck and then take the battery to a local advance auto or similar to ensure you don't have a dead cell. The battery shouldn't have died that quick unless it was already weak. If you know them well they will sometimes let you leave it on their charger overnight and then you pick it back up in the morning. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Skibum
Banned

Thanks...
I just want enough juice to get the key out the easy way.
If I don't have enough juice tomorrow I guess I'll hook up a battery to the fuse panel.

I was planning on replacing the battery this spring.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a long hook tool in the fuse cover to unlock your key if necessary
Old 01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had similar issue this spring on my cab. Ended up using a portable battery pack with a 12V "lighter" socket and a a male to male 12V cord into the cig lighter. This gave enough juice to open the frunk latch and then I put a proper charger on the battery. The red pullout in the fuse panel wasn't giving me any joy.

I found with the key in (or for some other reason) the trickle charger just wasn't able to get the job done even after a few days.

Originally Posted by Skibum
Thanks...
I just want enough juice to get the key out the easy way.
If I don't have enough juice tomorrow I guess I'll hook up a battery to the fuse panel.

I was planning on replacing the battery this spring.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

If that is the original battery that came with the car, it is almost certainly dead and should just be replaced. Just buy a replacement (Interstate, Walmart, ?) and install it. Why screw around with all the other stuff?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Skibum
Banned

Had to hook to the fuse panel connector to get power to remove the key and open the hood.
As soon as I get a chance, I'll see about a replacement battery.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:18 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Happened to me once, by leaving the key in the ignition. Even if it's in the off position, it still drains. I used the fusebox to access the frunk and jump it as it is described in the manual. Don't just automatically replace the battery. I haven't had any issues w/ mine, even thought it went thru that total discharge.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Skibum
Banned

Thanks Sarge.
In fact I'm trying a charge now, then will do a load test.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

This might help -
If you're leaving the car more than a couple of days, lock it up using the key in the door lock. Don't use the button on the key fob. The car will quit 'looking' for the frequency of the fob, will shut down some non-essential systems, and will use less power. Added bonus - the key won't be in the ignition. Just remember that you've got to get the key into the ignition within 10 seconds of unlocking the door or the alarm WILL go off.
SargePug - I'm not normally a graphics-on-the-car sort of guy. But - the one you have, against that dark blue / black, with those wheels and the clear side markers, is just great looking. Really nice. Congrats.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Skibum
Banned

Thanks Tom.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE
.... Don't use the button on the key fob. The car will quit 'looking' for the frequency of the fob, will shut down some non-essential systems, and will use less power. ....
Since you will be able to unlock with the key fob how is it that the car "will quit looking" for the frequency of the fob?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Since you will be able to unlock with the key fob how is it that the car "will quit looking" for the frequency of the fob?
After the car goes into sleep mode (not started for a week or so), you can't unlock the car from the key fob. You have to stick the key in the door lock and turn it. This does not deactivate the alarm system however, and it will go off about 10 seconds after you open the door. When this happens, I just push the unlock button on the key after turning it in the lock.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 PM
boolala
Race Car

So locking the car with the key, itself, will not save the battery unless you do not plan to drive it for a week or more?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Skibum
Banned

OMG is that OEM battery heavy!
I think I broke my back getting it out.....

It's an 09 so maybe I'll get lucky and it will still be good.

Quick Reply: Killed my battery