Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint to Sample - Increased or Decreased resale/desirability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question in the back of my mind about "paint to sample", how in the world are you getting a body shop to get the exact match in case in case you need to respray a bumper or ... having to paint a panel or something.

--Sebis
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Maritime Blue is my second favorite Porsche color. I'd pay a premium for that car!

Back to the topic, the right PTS color would carry a premium. As you can see, I'm a big PTS fan!

Originally Posted by sebis
I have a question in the back of my mind about "paint to sample", how in the world are you getting a body shop to get the exact match in case in case you need to respray a bumper or ... having to paint a panel or something.

--Sebis
Most shops have the exact paint mix formulas and a good shop can make it look as if it came from the factory.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

And if we can't nail it with the formula, we've scanned the vehicle (or various parts) and produced it precisely to match.

Did this on a 996 about a year back, guy wanted painted bumperettes, and we wanted like hell to help, but he had a Ferrari Red on the Porsche, and the code from the original order did not match.

So we used a special scanning device on a tow plug cover from his front bumper, and produced his bumperettes to an exact match.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

An update to an old thread. PTS is going for a significant premium these days at Zuffenhausen, so when you reflect upon the original question about a PTS car, you may be more willing to pay a premium for a more unique car than the run of the mill Silver, Black, White or Red 911s that sit at dealerships these days.

Would I do it again? Absolutely.
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2017, 07:53 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
An update to an old thread. PTS is going for a significant premium these days at Zuffenhausen, so when you reflect upon the original question about a PTS car, you may be more willing to pay a premium for a more unique car than the run of the mill Silver, Black, White or Red 911s that sit at dealerships these days.

Would I do it again? Absolutely.
Can't say I blame you, that color is winning w. Especially, in conjunction with the interior.
T
Old 11-07-2017, 01:11 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

It depends on the color.

Silver, for example, may not be unique but lots of people like it.

Green, on the other hand, is very unique, but far fewer people like it. If you never plan on selling, it's a non issue. However, a PTS color in an undesirable shade may be a liability when it comes to selling time, unique or not.

Rare or unique doesn't always equate to collectible or desirable
Old 11-07-2017, 04:15 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

I think you'd have to choose a particularly ugly color for PTS not to be an advantage. Porsche's look great in odd colors and it's a rare person that wouldn't appreciate the fact that you're not going to see a million of the same color as you drive around every single day!

I had an Arctic Silver Porsche with a gorgeous LTS of Lipstick Red interior in my 2006. In less than 2 years I couldn't stand that silver anymore despite my love of the interior.

I think PTS is going to be a huge advantage when it comes to selling your car almost without exception .

Tom
Old 11-07-2017, 01:55 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I think you'd have to choose a particularly ugly color for PTS not to be an advantage. Porsche's look great in odd colors and it's a rare person that wouldn't appreciate the fact that you're not going to see a million of the same color as you drive around every single day!

I had an Arctic Silver Porsche with a gorgeous LTS of Lipstick Red interior in my 2006. In less than 2 years I couldn't stand that silver anymore despite my love of the interior.

I think PTS is going to be a huge advantage when it comes to selling your car almost without exception .

Tom
"Appreciating the fact" and plunking down hard cash on a oddball PTS color are two, and often mutually exclusive, things.

Sure, there is always someone who might like a PTS color in a historically undesirable color, but I stand by my statement that an undesirable color can be a liability if one decides to sell.

Funny, you couldn't stand silver, and I think red interior is hideous.

Different strokes for different folks

Quick Reply: Paint to Sample - Increased or Decreased resale/desirability?