Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint to Sample - Increased or Decreased resale/desirability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a reason why Porsche doesn't offer GT3 green as a standard color. Nobody would buy them.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the Color.

Wonder how much you can get for one of them Mexico Blue GT3s? Odds are its going to cost more than just plain jane paint. Considering that the paint is in good shape still.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Menmojo
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely depends on the color.
I own a viper green 73. Looks period correct and great in my opinion.
The car in question doesn't do it for me. Maybe if the wheels were black it would look better?
I think the resale would be very very difficult.
Just my opinion......
Old 01-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PTS

My last car was a T4S,PTS. I paid more to have it, and got that much less selling it.
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2012, 11:16 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I love the green and would buy it. I am not a fan of blue but I like green a lot and love that one.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the only 996 Minerva blue GT3 PTS for awhile, I thought that was a great color personally.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Paint--all in the eyes of the beholder.

Paint To Sample is a rare thing in the first place in the world of auto manufacturing. However, some colors do better than others. Go to some of the other Porsche forums to get a feel for their thoughts about a PTS car for a 964, or a 911, or a 993. Because some day your car will be in that category. Sometimes, only the color can make a car standout.

But some colors and color combinations are death. While I happen to like green it is one of the most difficult cars to sell--which any dealer will tell you if they tell the truth. A friend of mine was a dealer for many years and he referred to them as "Theft Proof Green." I had a green 914 years ago (Zambezi) and absolutely loved it. But things have changed in peoples' sensibilities and tastes from 1974.

Years ago the Germans were always ordering bizarre colors from Zuffenhausen, and were proud to drive them. Today, the Germans are more like Americans--very conservative in their color choices, and unwilling to stand out to a wealth conscious public. Black and silver are now the colors of choice in Germany.

But if you take a liking to that green, deal with the dealer. Remind him that some day you will have to sell the car and it will be close to impossible to sell. But when you find that person who loves that color green--you got it! Years ago an orange 911 sat on a Boston dealer's floor for months. They had nearly given up until a couple happened by from the LA area, fell in love, and drove it all the way to California! Just remember that there are fewer people who will be buyers for the odd ball colors. It can both be a blessing, and a nightmare.

I don't think the green wheels add at all. It's a little too over the top. Sometimes you just have to know how far to go.

Last edited by Edgy01; 01-08-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:53 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

indeed interesting thread. It seems less and less people like fun coloured cars these days.

I like the interesting colours, it makes them more exotic. I think there is a person who will be interested somewhere in the world but it just may take alittle more time to sell a pts

I do think a car painted a special colour is just that, a special car! special cars are worth more or, will be sought after later on down the line. although finding the person that wants the special colour may take slightly longer thats all. It will sell an maybe it being pts you can use that in you selling tactic stating ïts rare there are only a certain amount of them produced in this colour" for example.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:54 AM
lopro
Banned

for example, i think this is soooo rare and so vintage. but others may not agree or may not care

Old 01-08-2012, 05:57 AM
Quattro Libre
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the responses. Perhaps I should provide a bit of background for reference for the heck of it. I've never owned a P-Car. I remember looking at pictures of the jelly-bean colored 964s and 993s in magazines as a kid and thinking they were just awesome and so different. I used to cut out pictures 911s and paste them on the walls.

To me, a Porsche is an outrageous car and therefore should be an outrageous color! I understand completely that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but that to me is what makes it unique. Oh, and I love green. Heck, even when I drool over pics of the 356s, it's the Irish and Smyrnas that grab my attention the most.

I concur with the other posters about the wheels though. They would be the first thing to go, but wheels are easy to change.

But to make a long story longer, is this a 60K car? Assuming a clean PPI and all, could this be had for 50K since the market for this color isn't exactly what it would be for black, silver, red or white? Resale is less of a concern honestly as this would be a car that has been a long time coming and therefore would be around for a long time.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I had a 73 S in what I believe was the same or nearly the same color as the GT3 Green, Viper Green. I loved that car. My friends used to call it the M&M.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:53 PM
bbbradley
Advanced

I love it! The wheels are a bit much, but those can be easily changed to something slightly less obnoxious.

IMO - PTS like that is a great used car value if you have your mind around the fact you will need to keep the car for a while and be ready to sit on it to find the right nut job like yourself if you ever do need to sell it. When I finally am ready to pull the trigger for a Porsche I would use a PTS as a price concession tool to the current owner.

In looking through used inventory online the sea of boring black/grey/white cars is disappointing...

Last edited by bbbradley; 01-08-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:07 PM
csorrows
Instructor

I don't personally like silver or gray cars, and already have a black Jeep, so didn't want my "fun car" in any of those colors. I was looking for Guards Red, Speed Yellow, or possibly White - three colors the dealers told me they almost never see in pre-owned 911s.

But then I stumbled upon a Speed Yellow that also had some interior accents in yellow. I think I actually paid MORE for it than I should have, but considering how rare Speed Yellow is compared to all the other colors sold, I wanted it and was willing to pay a little more for it.

I don't think the gotcha is that PTS or non-standard colors sell for less because of the color itself, I think the gotcha is finding the buyer who really wants that color. I agree with the above comment "a butt for every seat". The trick is finding that right buyer. The age of the Internet helps, with all the car sales sites out there, Craigslist, etc, but distance away from the car hurts, too. There might be a buyer who would love some off-color you have for sale, but they might be all the way across the country and don't want the hassle of dealing with inspecting and buying a car 2000 miles away.

In any case, I don't worry about potential lower resale value on mine. I bought it enjoy it for myself, and my enjoyment of it is worth more than what I might potentially lose on the resale. If I had to "settle" for a color I didn't really like, I would never have bought the car in the first place.

After all, I buy cars for myself, not the next owner. If it sells for $10k less because it's yellow, so be it...I got far more enjoyment than that out of it.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:23 PM
lopro
Banned

they are all great points of view on the matter really
Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Depends on the Color.

Wonder how much you can get for one of them Mexico Blue GT3s? Odds are its going to cost more than just plain jane paint. Considering that the paint is in good shape still.
You got that right! I paid a premium when I bought my Riviera blue car (used) and I guarantee that when and IF I sell it I'll get that premium back. I've already had four different rennlisters contact me that were interested in buying my car from me. How many guys out there with black cars have had that happen?

Originally Posted by bbbradley
... When I finally am ready to pull the trigger for a Porsche I would use a PTS as a price concession tool to the current owner.

In looking through used inventory online the sea of boring black/grey/white cars is disappointing...
Rather contradictory isn't it? Calling the used car inventory boring for it's lack of colors and then saying you'll use a car's color as a negative against the asking price if it has an interesting color? I'd tell you to take a hike!

Originally Posted by Quattro Libre

But to make a long story longer, is this a 60K car? Assuming a clean PPI and all, could this be had for 50K since the market for this color isn't exactly what it would be for black, silver, red or white?
Don't think 50K is reasonable. That car is fairly low miles. I'd guess it will sell for 56-58K.

That car will look 1000 x's better after the wheels are painted black.

Does paint to sample add or detract from a cars value?

Depends on the color !!!

Sorry for the oversized pics. Too tired and too late now to start resizing.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Paint to Sample - Increased or Decreased resale/desirability?