Sponsored by:

advice on sway bars for a stock C2

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:31 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default advice on sway bars for a stock C2

I am am considering getting some anti sway bars for my 2011 C2 . Car is for street use. Objective is a minor reduction in body roll and stiffer more precise feel in steering. I am missing the feel of my 90 C2 with Bilstein sport shocks but do not want to change coils or struts on a new 997 car for fear it will only mess it up.
Any suggestions on which sway bars to get? Estimate of cost? thanks, John
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy with the RSS bars I placed in my 997.1 C2.

TPC is another good choice. More expensive than the RSS's and a touch more agressive for street driving.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:47 PM
modenaboy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went with GMG but also Bilstein Coilovers, very happy

Why do you think coilovers would mess it up? I just put the PASM compatible Bilstein PSS system + GMG sway bars on my 997.1, and it is awesome. Compared it back to back with my friend's [formerly!] identical 997, and it was much more buttoned down, with less understeer and more ability to alter the line in a corner.

With the new setup, the car has more mid corner stability and gives you more choices on corner exit (since it understeers less, but you can still moderately lift to throttle steer if you want to nose in that way). Since I did the coilovers, sways, and an alignment all at the same time, I can't separate out the specific affects of the different mods, but they work together very well.

Not sure if it would be imbalanced with just the GMG sways and no coil over changes. I've only driven on the street, not the track, but expect the difference would be even greater at track speeds. If you search the forums, there's lots of happy track customers with the Bilstein setup.

The ride isn't really that much stiffer, although you do feel it a little more over major bumps, but I have other cars that are worse. I keep it on the soft PASM setting.

-- Gordie
Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
I am am considering getting some anti sway bars for my 2011 C2 . Car is for street use. Objective is a minor reduction in body roll and stiffer more precise feel in steering. I am missing the feel of my 90 C2 with Bilstein sport shocks but do not want to change coils or struts on a new 997 car for fear it will only mess it up.
Any suggestions on which sway bars to get? Estimate of cost? thanks, John
I'm a fan of using OEM stuff for upgrades wherever possible. What do you think about going to the stiffer sways that come with the Sport PASM suspension? Too subtle? Perhaps the GT3 sways...
Old 01-01-2012, 11:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Putting on gt3 lower control arms with mono ball ends and solid thrust washers will give you more steering feel. Stiffer sways really won't do that. A C2 with stock coil overs sits pretty high....to really help with body roll your really going to need height adjustable coil overs.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdrums
Putting on gt3 lower control arms with mono ball ends and solid thrust washers will give you more steering feel. Stiffer sways really won't do that. A C2 with stock coil overs sits pretty high....to really help with body roll your really going to need height adjustable coil overs.
Thanks guys, for the input. I am thinking I will start with GT3 front sway bar. Mdrum, can I install the lower control arms and bushings without adding shorter springs or adjustable coil overs just yet? I understand that body roll will continue, but I need the ride height for the time being, and the bilstien coilover option is too expensive for my current budget.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Yep you can do the shorter springs without the lower control arms. The gt3 front sway alone will not help you with body lean...waste of money by its self.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I've always heard that you control roll with springs and fine tune it with sways. I still have a large box of springs left over from HSR and Club Racing.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
Thanks guys, for the input. I am thinking I will start with GT3 front sway bar. Mdrum, can I install the lower control arms and bushings without adding shorter springs or adjustable coil overs just yet? I understand that body roll will continue, but I need the ride height for the time being, and the bilstien coilover option is too expensive for my current budget.
go to suncoast web site and look for newest gt3 (or GT2) sway bars, that is what you need. you may use stock drop links with those sway bars but if ride height gets lowered front will need custom drop links. front one is more difficult to install, you will need to loose crossmember there to get sway bar out, search for it.

go with RSS LCAs if you decide to replace them, they are better overall value. add rear toe links, front fork arms (to correct/adjust castor) and you are all set. if you decide to lower ride height youcan always get a set of eibach springs for lowering car and put them on your stock shocks.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by utkinpol
go to suncoast web site and look for newest gt3 (or GT2) sway bars, that is what you need. you may use stock drop links with those sway bars but if ride height gets lowered front will need custom drop links. front one is more difficult to install, you will need to loose crossmember there to get sway bar out, search for it.

go with RSS LCAs if you decide to replace them, they are better overall value. add rear toe links, front fork arms (to correct/adjust castor) and you are all set. if you decide to lower ride height youcan always get a set of eibach springs for lowering car and put them on your stock shocks.
Thanks, this does sound like a good set up!

Quick Reply: advice on sway bars for a stock C2