Sponsored by:

Feedback regarding new clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Feedback regarding new clutch...

Hi all. I just had my clutch replaced (disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing), and my pedal feels kinda light, IMO. It's worth noting that the car and former clutch only has 30k on it, so I'm assuming the pedal feel I was use to is closer to normal for a 997. I simply replaced it because I was having the RMS replaced, and there was some noticeable wear on the clutch. The old clutch had no slipping at all, and functioned fine. My question is, has anyone else noticed a lighter clutch pedal feel with a new clutch kit? I'm hoping it will firm up a little with some wear, because it feels quite soft now, and seems to have less "feel."
Old 12-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamuth
Hi all. I just had my clutch replaced (disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing), and my pedal feels kinda light, IMO. It's worth noting that the car and former clutch only has 30k on it, so I'm assuming the pedal feel I was use to is closer to normal for a 997. I simply replaced it because I was having the RMS replaced, and there was some noticeable wear on the clutch. The old clutch had no slipping at all, and functioned fine. My question is, has anyone else noticed a lighter clutch pedal feel with a new clutch kit? I'm hoping it will firm up a little with some wear, because it feels quite soft now, and seems to have less "feel."
The new clutch may feel lighter because the old clutch was heavy due to wear. As the clutch wears, I'm told, the clutch gets heavier because the mechanical advantage is diminished.

A new clutch will have the mechanical advantage at its best.

If the clutch engages smoothly, if you can shift from gear to gear with the car stationary and the engine idling, if you can select gears while moving with no problems, I'd say what you're feeling is simply the light action of a new clutch.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1. At about 30K my clutch pedal felt like a 1956 dump truck. It was pretty tough when I bought it at 20K, and in my lifetime I never replaced a clutch even upwards of 150K, so I just figured it was normal and lived with it. I even asked the dealer check why it was so stiff, and they said it was normal. Then when my CPO ran out at 30K, I took the car to an indie mechanic and had the LN IMS bearing done, at the same time I told them about the clutch stiffness. They checked and said it was more than 50% worn, so I opted to get it replaced. The feel afterward was night and day. Now the clutch feels like a Toyota or Honda, nice and light just like a modern car with a hydraulic clutch should feel IMHO. As far as the engagement, that's got nothing to do with stiffness, in fact it's a lot easier to finely modulate the pedal when there isn't so much resistance that my leg muscles get fatigued after a few shifts.

Quick Reply: Feedback regarding new clutch...