Sponsored by:

removing spots/stains from protective clear film

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:04 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 50 Posts
Default removing spots/stains from protective clear film

I have a 2011 C4S that came new from the dealer with a clear protective plastic film on the front end. When washing the car recently, I noticed some spots or stains on one section of the film on the front bumper. The film is smooth feeling so the damage might actually be on the paint below the film. Any suggestions for removing the damage? If I decide to remove the plastic film from the bumper section, any tips on how to do that?
Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Marshal_Mercer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem from new; looked scratched beneath, too. Dealer replaced that section at no cost. Done.

Marshal
Old 12-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 76 Posts

I'll be interested to hear the responses from people with the clear film on this issue of cleaning/restoring it. I recently clipped an autox course cone (I know, don't hit the cones!) and slightly scuffed the OEM clear plastic film ahead of the rear wheel wells. At least part of the scuff was material transfer from the cone itself. It would have been a snap to clean and polish a painted finish after this kind of encounter (done it many times) but restoring the plastic film finish was a real pain and it's still not completely perfect. It's almost like the heat from the friction at impact on an already hot day bonded rubber/plastic from the cone to the film. Weird. Maybe it's a different kind of protective film from the aftermarket stuff.....
Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had great success using griots plastic polish. It's designed to polish plastic headlights and plastic rear windows found on some convertibles. It worked great on my 3M clear bra.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 192 Posts

I have used a heat gun to remove scratches and haze from my Xpel clear bra. If you have damage beneath the film, I'd take it to the dealer for their assessment before trying to fix it on my own. They may even take care of it themselves, which I think would be preferable.

Otherwise, I had quite the miraculous experience with a heat gun. It literally worked like magic.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:34 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the info. I am going to have the dealer check it out and see what they say.

Quick Reply: removing spots/stains from protective clear film