Sponsored by:

Alpin or Blizzak or other?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 09:06 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alpin or Blizzak or other?

I am considering snow tires for my 997 C2. I have done some searching and have found references to both the Michelin Alpin and Bridgestone Blizzak.

I went to TireRack, and only the Michelins come in my size (18's).

I live in VA and travel from NC to Philly (only occasionally taking the C2) - but I want to have assurance that I will not be stranded if I am on a trip in the C2 and a winter storm hits.

Can anyone recommend one over the other? I am leaning toward the Aplin so that I will not have to buy wheels as well - just mount to the existing wheels (opinions on this approach also welcome).

thanks!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:34 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PA2s are winter performance tires. The Blizzaks are deep snow tires. I have the PA2s in the midwest and have had no problems.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the Michelins on an 02 MB E Class RWD and they did fine in the snow and ice and have Blizzaks on my 08 RWD E Class and they are slightly better but pretty noisey in their last season. You are good either way with 2 great choices.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Winter tire compounds without studs have come a long way in the last decade, and there are mainly two types - performance tires to handle cold temps and ice, and deep snow tires to push away snow in 4+ inch conditions. For SUVs, the "deep snow" tires get an "M+S" designation, and are simply amazing. However, these tires are mainly targeted for SUVs though I see them often on Subarus and other AWD cars.

For Porsches, your only option will be getting a performance snow tire. IMHO, Blizzaks are the best winter tire on the road, and they make performance versions for the 911. If you want to handle "deeper" snow, look for a winter tire with a bit more tread depth OR commit to studded tires (Nokian makes great ones). For typical east coast weather, I think studded tires would be overkill!

In Park City, we get 350+ inches of snow per winter and my wife and I drive 30k+ miles per year on our DD SUV. On our daily commute to Salt Lake City, our total change in altitude is around 8k feet. You can imagine the weather conditions that we see, and to be honest, my son who is 13 and goes to school in Salt Lake has never had a snow day! Our DDs have included a BMW convertible, a Mini Cooper S, and more recently Land Rover SUVs (awesome btw). My personal "DD" is now a 997.1 Cab, though it goes to Salt Lake City less often. On the BMW and Mini, I ran deep-treaded Blizzaks. The Mini was a bit light, so would float in un-plowed powder above 4 inches in depth. My 997 runs Continentals that came with an 18" wheel-set that I purchased from a Rennlister (thansk LeChef!) in November. The Contis are great on ice, but struggle in fresh snow depths above 3 inches (wheel spin in rear). As long as your expectations are set, you will be fine... The Alpins or Blizzaks will serve you well...

Good luck with your search.

-Blake
Old 12-26-2011, 02:49 PM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend an H or V-rated snow tire, probably the only option in 997 sizes. Softer, more serious snow tires, Q-rated e.g. will take away too much from the porsche feel.

Good ones:
- michelin pilot alpin pa3
- dunlop winter sport 3d and m3
- bridgestone blizzak lm-series (currently lm60)
Old 12-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As blake suggests, MODERN snow tires are highly advanced. They actually use different compounds in order for the tires to remain pliable in lower temps. Sipes are also important. I have a set of Alpins for my Vanagon on an entirely different set of wheels--for snow country.

Quick Reply: Alpin or Blizzak or other?