Sponsored by:

Oil on Spark Plug threads

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 08:27 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Oil on Spark Plug threads

Decided to perform the 40k service and changed the plugs on my 07 4S. The job is actually not that bad provided you have the tools and dont have huge hands.

I noticed that all 6 plugs had a small bit of oil on the threads only, the plugs electrodes are wearing normally as they are brownish grey. I have no issues with oil consumption and probably use 0.5qt after 4k miles. I dont see any oil weeping down the side of the head and find this odd. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:37 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Pics? wet oil? Are you sure it wasn't anti-seize.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:10 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on my wife's X5 that meant it was time for new valve cover gaskets.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:42 PM
aaks38
Racer

Im positive it isnt antiseize, i also read antiseize is not to be used on these heads, these are oem plugs from what i can tell as the car just reached 40k. what i can visibly see is a light film of oil over the threads only but it doesnt extend into the main spark/electrode area.

I cant see any oil around the coilpack tubes or the heads. Im now thinking that perhaps maybe these backed out slightly which caused the oil to appear but i am not familiar enough with the head design.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:09 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I doubt they backed out slightly and caused any oil seepage. I also doubt the oil came from "above" (to the side on this engine) around the coil pack. The coil pack completely covers the plug. that means it either came from the valve cover-head seal (the valve cover has a hole in it for the plug) or it was put on the plug by someone using a thin layer of oil as antisieze (which i doubt but it is possible as that was common a long time ago on lug nuts etc). if it's really bad you'll probably need a valve cover gasket.. I'd check the torque on the valve cover bolts first.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:28 PM
aaks38
Racer

Thanks, ill take a look at the VC bolt torque and check the valve covers.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine had a little oil on them, which ran about halfway up the threads, and was brown, found no seepage. BTW Porsche says no antiseize because the are concerned it will interfere with grounding (and possible overtorqueing?). I discussed with a master tech at a dealership and he told me just use a little and it will be fine. An Indie I know said they use a drop or two of oil. I used a little Permatex anti-sieze on each plug and the car runs fine. I have been doing this on all my cars (Asian, Euro, US and British) for 25 years with no problems.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aaks38
Decided to perform the 40k service and changed the plugs on my 07 4S. The job is actually not that bad provided you have the tools and dont have huge hands.

I noticed that all 6 plugs had a small bit of oil on the threads only, the plugs electrodes are wearing normally as they are brownish grey. I have no issues with oil consumption and probably use 0.5qt after 4k miles. I dont see any oil weeping down the side of the head and find this odd. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem.
Had my just replaced by local indie and original plugs removed were in same condition so going to guess it's "normal".
-David

Quick Reply: Oil on Spark Plug threads