Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 08:25 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 126 Posts
Default License plate mounting - rear

Hard to believe department.
PORSCHE in all their wisdom!
The rear license plate screws go directly into the rear bumper with no provison to change the mounting...ie; if the hole gets enlarged by overtightening the screw you have to go to a fatter screw...so, be very careful not to "strip" the plastic...there is no insert that can be changed
Being a bit on the compulsive side, I'm thinking that I "may" square out the holes and insert plastic inserts....(then again..I'll probably just take the wheels off and spend the time waxing the insides....)
I LOVE BEING RETIRED....(think about it I can spend an entire weekday afternoon just "playing with the car, I have earned the right)
Old 12-24-2011, 01:39 PM
silverbullete55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had to mount a plate frame back up camera. My solution was simple. Purchased plastic nuts and bolts, drilled holes through the black plastic holder and expoxied the nuts to the back of the plastic holder over the holes. Mounted plate and frame...done.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
The rear license plate screws go directly into the rear bumper with no provison to change the mounting...ie; if the hole gets enlarged by overtightening the screw you have to go to a fatter screw...so, be very careful not to "strip" the plastic...there is no insert that can be changed
I'm dealing with the same thing for the front mounted plate. I need larger screws to keep the plate and plastic mounting bracket connected to the car...

(think about it I can spend an entire weekday afternoon just "playing with the car, I have earned the right)
I envy the ability to toy with the car on a weekday afternoon...
Old 12-24-2011, 02:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Hard to believe department.
PORSCHE in all their wisdom!
Being a bit on the compulsive side, I'm thinking that I "may" square out the holes and insert plastic inserts....(then again..I'll probably just take the wheels off and spend the time waxing the insides....)
I LOVE BEING RETIRED....(think about it I can spend an entire weekday afternoon just "playing with the car, I have earned the right)
There is a black plastic mounting plate. That plate is attached to the bumper and the license plate is attached to it, like the attached photo shows (same for 997s).

Last edited by ADias; 04-04-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: License plate mounting - rear