Sponsored by:

Help! Can't get car into gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by homer997
Gary has been right about this forever. Every now and again this topic comes up and Gary's explanation is spot on.
Nothing replaces substance and experience.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 PM
chops
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Might be something simpler. How long have you been driving the Porsche transmission? If this is your first, you may not have learned the automatic pullback. Before shifting into first at a standstill, you shift into second. Then go forward into first. A full shift into second isn't actually required. Just pull back until you feel the gears trying to engage and then go forward.

Gary
Gary, thanks for the suggestion. I've encountered your description before, but this was totally different. I should clarify; none of the gears were accessible when the car was on. I only managed to pull it into second in order to get to somewhere safe. I've been driving my 911 for about 3 years, and this is the first time it's happened.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 PM
chops
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
same thing happened to me last year - working fine during a morning drive then out of nowhere clutch pedal was "squishy" all of a sudden and i couldnt get into gear (unless car was off, in which case clutch went into gear fine but couldnt even force it in when car was on) i'll bet a dollar it's a broken pressure plate finger like mine. "known" issue. anyone want to give me odds?
Bingo. This is exactly my issue. Car is at the dealership right now, so we'll see soon.

I've never heard of this issue for the 997s. Is it common? I definetly don't abuse my clutch, and am not a newbie stick driver. Car has 26.5k miles. Seems way too early of a part like this to fail.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I had no idea how common this issue was until this thread. My clutch went at 34K miles and cost me a flywheel as well. Total was $3500 including a slave cylinder. The slave cylinder was changed initially in hopes that was the issue but no such luck.

FWIW the symptoms on mine were totally different. I had no issue getting the car in gear. The problem was during the return of the clutch pedal from being pressed in. It would hang on the return during the travel for a split second before crashing back up against my foot.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chops
Gary, thanks for the suggestion. I've encountered your description before, but this was totally different. I should clarify; none of the gears were accessible when the car was on. I only managed to pull it into second in order to get to somewhere safe. I've been driving my 911 for about 3 years, and this is the first time it's happened.
You're right. That's not at all the symptoms your description conjured in my mind. It is possible to drive a car in that condition, but... well, I recommend saving that technique for use with cars whose total value is down around the cost of the tow job.

Good luck with it Chops. The way you describe it does sound like a problem with the throw-out arrangement. Probably not the throw-out bearing itself, so that means the pressure plate is fairly likely. No big deal, just a big (well, big-ish) repair bill and a few days without your car. Clutches wear out like brake pads, they're just harder to reach.

Gary
Old 12-20-2011, 06:46 PM
chops
Advanced

Well folks, it turned out to be a warped pressure plate. Unfortunately, my Easy Care doesn't cover it. Will be getting the car back today. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 AM
sameerg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chops
Well folks, it turned out to be a warped pressure plate. Unfortunately, my Easy Care doesn't cover it. Will be getting the car back today. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
So, was the entire clutch replaced with your issue?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone ever have any problems getting into 2nd gear so u can go into 1st, happens to me sometimes leaving me hung up at the green light.

Quick Reply: Help! Can't get car into gear