997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dectane Tailight Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011 | 06:40 PM
louie007
Instructor

i to would like to know if there is anything i can do to get rid of this problem , please let us know of you mod to the lights .
Old 12-20-2011 | 08:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MFank
Where are these openings on the Dectanes? I pulled mine out & could not tell where to retrofit the tubes. Does anyone have a pic? It didn't seem obvious (or maybe I was really tired )
Sorry no pics but read posts 665, 666 and 667 here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ectane-45.html
Old 12-20-2011 | 08:39 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

condensation is a problem dependent on the location of the car. there are humid countries. over here in asia where i am almost all the cars even with oem headlights and taillights have condensation problems. according to porsche BS its all normal. what is not normal is the condensation causes spots to form at the base of the headlights. these make the lights look old. i tried putting dessicants but that did not work. i have just left the lights as it is hoping that they would just cure themselves. funny thing is there are so many local cars here with clear lights and no condensation problems. its very frustrating that a $100,000 car has this problem and a $20,000 Asian made SUV does not. But like Porsche said, its normal
Old 12-20-2011 | 08:40 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

I've had my LED lights installed for almost 6 months. No sign of any moisture in either warm or cold weather. Remeber, LED light create almost no heat so I'm wondering why moisture would build up unless there is a leak somewhere..

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY
Old 12-20-2011 | 11:15 PM
lopro
Banned

I feel its because of the seals. blockage in vent tubing or the covers being off the back of the light leaving moisture in. I dont think leds will leave this kinda moisture. I just dont think they get that hot.

Ive had so many cars over the last 10-15 years that have had moisture/condensation and from my own personal experiances its been the seal or lack of it

atleast where I live anyways. Ive also experienced enough water build up that the light starts to short out. as I said I just sold them after trying numerous times to reseal them.

Im sure there are others with a different scenario but Im quite sure this is the case for me
Old 12-21-2011 | 12:06 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

I'm not at all a fan of all the aftermarket LED modding going on with our cars (cheapens the car and makes an odd statement about its owner), but I will say that in the manual of my 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, it reads that condensation in the lights is normal.

So long as it isn't dramatic like holding water and the light isn't shorting out, it's perhaps par for the course?

I know my front factory headlights sometimes fog up in rainy/humid days.
Old 12-21-2011 | 01:13 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
I'm not at all a fan of all the aftermarket LED modding going on with our cars (cheapens the car and makes an odd statement about its owner), but I will say that in the manual of my 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, it reads that condensation in the lights is normal.

So long as it isn't dramatic like holding water and the light isn't shorting out, it's perhaps par for the course?

I know my front factory headlights sometimes fog up in rainy/humid days.
I wasn't a fan at first of that LED stuff, either, but the look at night is quite dramatic. I got sold rather quickly.
Old 12-21-2011 | 04:08 PM
lopro
Banned

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I wasn't a fan at first of that LED stuff, either, but the look at night is quite dramatic. I got sold rather quickly.
latley I am on the fence about LEDs rather quickly
Old 12-22-2011 | 08:15 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Here is a picture of the back of the Dectane lights. The vents are covered by the clear plastic caps indicted by the red arrows. I tried to get the rubber vent tubes from the stock lights on to the Dectanes but they are darn near impossible to get on. If anyone has tips on this, please post how!

I don't think there is any harm by not installing the rubber tubes. Thoughts?

Old 12-22-2011 | 10:25 PM
louie007
Instructor

hey Frank i know what you mean i to tryed the only way they would hold is the slent part of the rubber went on the inside of the hole and it held , best of luck
Old 12-22-2011 | 11:30 PM
jw1977
Pro

I ended up heating up the rubber part and then wrapping it in a little electrical tape to hold. Haven't' been able to drive it see if it cleared up the condensation problem.
Old 12-23-2011 | 12:35 AM
lopro
Banned

is the rubber so that water doesnt go inside the hole, its a vent cover. the hole is the vent

maybe im off on this one, anyone?

Quick Reply: Dectane Tailight Condensation