Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost any current 911 in the right hands can be a supercar.............enjoy
Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
porsche has only 2 cars that do fit into 'exotics' and 'supercars' category. one was old Carrera GT car but it is not anymore, so really it is only new 918 car now.

of Ferraris - one can think either way, usually top ferrari with $500k+ can be called supercar but truly it is not these days as any moron now can drive them.

supercars are high performance custom made rare cars that have specs way above average. like veiron, like pagani zonda, etc.

Grand turismo cars are not super, sorry. Any street 997 is a pretty much a GT car. new 991 is even more GT than 997.

real sport car is not a supercar - almost any supercar will fall apart from what sport car like porsche gt3 cup car can sustain. same way we do not call nacsar cars supercars as those cars are real thing, not a stupid bling-bling for ultra-rich who can`t drive. for very long time all porsche street cars were also very close to 'real thing' and that made them so popular.
+1. 911 is no longer a "sports car" and is in GT territory. Not a bad thing-just the way it is.
I would also define a supercar as any car a high school kid has as a poster of-or any car that you would see in a rap video.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Inside line believes so... also includes the Cayman R!

http://www.insideline.com/features/s...-pictures.html

Jason
Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
911 is no longer a "sports car" and is in GT territory.
Not mine, brother.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default funny

Nice find, super cars they are but many there are not Supercars...

Originally Posted by jfoxny
Inside line believes so... also includes the Cayman R!

http://www.insideline.com/features/s...-pictures.html

Jason
Old 12-14-2011, 07:00 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

No. A 911 is, as others have said, a super car. A Supercar performance wise is a Nissan GTR. There, I said it. Too bad they overheat and go into limp mode.

Exclusive Supercars are Pagani Zonda's, Bugatti Veyrons or certain high price Lambo's or Ferrari's. Funny though, I haven't seen many at the track.

Supercars are somewhat subjective I think. Lots to consider.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:26 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default A Sports Car with Supercar Moments

I was driving back from College Station to Austin with my wife this fall. One of many treks to see our son at A&M. I stopped in a small town to fill up at a service station. A young gal pulled up in her sports car(Honda Accord) and asked, "wow, what kinda car is that". It was one of many supercar moments I've enjoyed. An hour later we arrived in Austin. I came back down to earth... realizing that I'm fortunate enough to drive a sports car. In my teenage heart, however, the Carrera will always be my supercar... ever since I was old enough to dream of driving one 25 yrs ago. "Enjoy the Ride"
Old 12-16-2011, 04:07 PM
tbrom
Racer

All I gotta say is that anyone that doesn't think that the RS 4.0 GT3 isn't a supercar they're nuts! I mean what is it that makes a car a supercar - is it whether or not "YOU" can afford it - or is it what a normal average dude can afford - cause if it's that then I'd say all the models of the new cars fall into "supercar" class. Is it awesome performance - well there are other cars of course that out perform Porsche cars but can they do the "ring" in less time?

How bout another little measuring stick - how bout durability. Anyone catch the show pitting the turbo against the Murcealago - the Murcealago broke down due to "hard" use in the test. Man I mean come on! My description of a supercar maybe different than some putting Veyrons and Koenigs, etc. lumped together but can they really stand up to a real long term test? I think that some would say the Carrera GT was a supercar - I know I would - but speed and supercar status is as fleeting as military secrets. What's supercar status today is not in 3 or 4 years - right?

Porsche continues to make supercars! GT - or sports car - easy to sit around and talk about a car that maybe 1/10 of 1% of the people in the world can afford as to whether or not the "elite" think it's a supercar - kind of relative don't you think?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default yes

its an amazing car, not sure anyone said it was not a supercar...but yes your correct, these days a major qualifier to be considered a supercar is your car must be fragile!

Originally Posted by tbrom
All I gotta say is that anyone that doesn't think that the RS 4.0 GT3 isn't a supercar they're nuts! I mean what is it that makes a car a supercar - is it whether or not "YOU" can afford it - or is it what a normal average dude can afford - cause if it's that then I'd say all the models of the new cars fall into "supercar" class. Is it awesome performance - well there are other cars of course that out perform Porsche cars but can they do the "ring" in less time?

How bout another little measuring stick - how bout durability. Anyone catch the show pitting the turbo against the Murcealago - the Murcealago broke down due to "hard" use in the test. Man I mean come on! My description of a supercar maybe different than some putting Veyrons and Koenigs, etc. lumped together but can they really stand up to a real long term test? I think that some would say the Carrera GT was a supercar - I know I would - but speed and supercar status is as fleeting as military secrets. What's supercar status today is not in 3 or 4 years - right?

Porsche continues to make supercars! GT - or sports car - easy to sit around and talk about a car that maybe 1/10 of 1% of the people in the world can afford as to whether or not the "elite" think it's a supercar - kind of relative don't you think?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 PM
tbrom
Racer

Glad you put your wall up cause I wouldn't say a Ferrari Enzo was fragile....
Old 12-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We could debate this forever (and have) - its all a matter of personal perceptions but to me a supercar is defined to a large extent by the environment in which it exists. I have a place on the Costa Del Sol (Spain) where Ferrari's, Lambo's and Porsches etc are so common nobody gives them a second glance.

Whereas in my home town in Ireland (population about 10,000) I am the only person with a 997 (as far as I know) so to the local car nuts see my Porsche as definitely a supercar.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:21 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I believe a lot of it is relative. Some specs from the early 80s, for example:

1982 Lamborghini Countach S. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. 1/4 mile in 14.1 seconds.
1989 Ferrari Testarossa. 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. 1/4 mile in 14.1 seconds.
1984 Porsche 911 Carrara. 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. 1/4 mile in 14.6 seconds.
1984 Chevrolet Corvette. 0-60 in 6.7 second. 1/4 mile in 15.1 seconds.

If Lamborghini and Ferrari are supercars, then why not 987s? Even the base 987 bests these "supercars" in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile, and I daresay performs better in the twisties, too. And the 997 is even quicker. Do we discount today's budget supercars because they're not exclusive enough? In my area, Porsches are rare enough that they could be considered pretty exclusive, too.

Quick Reply: Supercar Or Not