Sponsored by:

Running on Fumes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
That is interesting. Temperature correction has an impact on fuel volume.

Gas pumps in Canada are temperature corrected by regulation to 16 degrees celsius, around 68 degrees F.

I don't know what the routine is in the US, but I imagine it's the same.

The wild card here would be the temperature correction value used by Porsche in defining fuel capacity.
16C = 60.8F
Old 12-09-2011, 01:23 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
16C = 60.8F
Fine, geez you guys should move into the 20th century (let alone the 21st).

I think it's USA and Outer Slobovia that are still on the imperial system, the rest of the planet is metric.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:59 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Fine, geez you guys should move into the 20th century (let alone the 21st).

I think it's USA and Outer Slobovia that are still on the imperial system, the rest of the planet is metric.
I grew up and I am fluent in the SI (metric) units. There is value to the english system of units though - the units relate to everyday things.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:45 AM
vJohn546387
5th Gear

Did that once before too. I don't recall the exact amounts, but I do recall that I put more fuel in than the stated capacity of the system. But I didn't run out.

Last summer I ran out of fuel on my boat about 50 feet from the fuel dock and coasted in to the dock. Filled up with 127 gallons to fill my 125 gallon tank.

Seem fuel capacity is a bit understated. But not good to cut it so close. I'm obviously pressing my luck.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:01 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Recently I ran through the --- miles remaining display for some time--and wound up putting 17.0 gallons into the 997S. The capacity is 16.9 gallons -- but the filler neck must have taken some of the extra!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:01 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Recently I ran through the --- miles remaining display for some time--and wound up putting 17.0 gallons into the 997S. The capacity is 16.9 gallons -- but the filler neck must have taken some of the extra!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Or the charcol canister took the overflow (not good) or even the gas pump nozzle's auto shut off air intake sucked up some gas.

There have been reports of people claiming to have pumped more gas into their vehicles' tanks than the tanks are supposed to hold even if completely empty and the suspicion is the extra fuel was inhaled by the nozzle.

Slow filling, such as what is done when someone is trying to sneak up on a fuel tank by slowly filling the tank to the brim, is supposed to have something to do with the possibilty the nozzle can suck up some gasoline.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:56 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, there is verbage in the owner's manual to not use full throttle inputs once the low fuel warning light comes on, too. I agree with the low fuel and fuel pump cooling effect, too.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:38 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read a gas pump that put more fuel in than my tank can hold. I am sure it was because tha gas station was a scumbag scammer and had the pump's meter adjusted to cheat. The gas stations and the gas pumps are regulated but that wont stop a thief.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
I have read a gas pump that put more fuel in than my tank can hold. I am sure it was because tha gas station was a scumbag scammer and had the pump's meter adjusted to cheat. The gas stations and the gas pumps are regulated but that wont stop a thief.
The accuracy of the pump's gallons pumped number is always a question. I see stickers that the pump's output has been checked but sometimes the stickers are nearly a year old...

Also, in many parts of the USA gas station pumps do not take into account the temperature of the gas. If the gas is 'hot' less gas gets pumped than is reported by the pump's gallons display.

I forget what 'hot' is but it is not that hot, not even warm. IIRC the temp is such that in many areas the gas station storage tank temperature works in favor of the gas station. (My info is the tanker trucks are filled with temperature of the fuel being taken into account, the actually weight of the fuel is used to determine how many 'gallons' of fuel the tanker truck is loaded with.)

Only in areas where the gas station underground storage tanks are cool (or cold) are temp compensated pumps used or the pump's output is adjusted to avoid pumping more gas.

So, what happens most of the time while the pump may report say 16.9 gallons pumped the actual amount is less because the fuel was warm.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
possible, but unlikely. Usually people have no idea what their vehicle's actual fuel capacity it, and they rely on the tank capacity listed in their manual. They are wrong more often than the dispensers.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
The accuracy of the pump's gallons pumped number is always a question. I see stickers that the pump's output has been checked but sometimes the stickers are nearly a year old...

Also, in many parts of the USA gas station pumps do not take into account the temperature of the gas. If the gas is 'hot' less gas gets pumped than is reported by the pump's gallons display.

I forget what 'hot' is but it is not that hot, not even warm. IIRC the temp is such that in many areas the gas station storage tank temperature works in favor of the gas station. (My info is the tanker trucks are filled with temperature of the fuel being taken into account, the actually weight of the fuel is used to determine how many 'gallons' of fuel the tanker truck is loaded with.)

Only in areas where the gas station underground storage tanks are cool (or cold) are temp compensated pumps used or the pump's output is adjusted to avoid pumping more gas.

So, what happens most of the time while the pump may report say 16.9 gallons pumped the actual amount is less because the fuel was warm.

Sincerely,

Macster.
In my state, the STATE applies those stickers (annually--so at some point they are all nearly a year old.) They will indicate the variance of the fuel dispensed versus the amount indicated on the dispenser. If the variance falls outside the permitted tolerances, the state shuts the dispenser down. The measure on those stickers is of TABLESPOONS PER 5 GALLONS, meaning that if a dispenser is graded at "+3", a customer gets an extra 3 tablespoons for each five gallons they pumped. Whoopie!

Also, with very few exceptions in the US, dispensers meter and dispense VOLUMETRIC gallons, period. Hot or cold, a wet gallon is a wet gallon. It's true that the energy provided by the fuel can vary based on the temperature of it, but when it left the fuel dispenser it was metered based on a liquid measure that is the same for fuel at 70 degrees as it is for fuel at 50 degrees.

Can you imagine the nightmare that would ensue if fuel were temperature-adjusted (for the purposes of energy delivery) at the dispenser? I wouldn't want to be a retailer explaining to a customer why today's "gallon" is different from yesterday's "gallon." I wouldn't wish that on an enemy.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM
DDL24
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster

Sincerely,

Macster.
Wouldn't people get even during cold winters? at least on the east coast.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDL24
Wouldn't people get even during cold winters? at least on the east coast.
yes.

As you might imagine, there's a climatic break-even point. But the truth of the matter is it all washes out in the street price, regardless of temperature. The business is that competitive.

Quick Reply: Running on Fumes?