Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilovers for Street - Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers for Street - Recommendations?

I recently bought a set of H&R springs and I've decided I wanted to go the route of coilovers. I used to run KWv2 on my E46 M3 and I like being able to run my height which would be a little lower than the springs.

I checked into the pricing of KWv2 for the 997 and it's about double than the M3. Any recommendations for coilovers for mostly street with some track? I figure since the install is the same for springs or coilovers I may as well go for adjustability.

No flames please as I know many don't like a slammed or aggressively lowered 997, although I've seen a few here I really like.

I saw this car on this site (or was it 6speedonline?) and I thought this was perfect for me - I hope the owner doesn't mind. I've love to know the setup.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Bilstein PSS10, adjustable ride height and 10 firmness settings. Overkill for the street IMHO but a nice setup nonetheless.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 PM
BigThistle
Intermediate

+1 on the PSS10

Just what you want.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the Bilstein damptronics and am very happy with them. I had the car lowered about 3/4", which improved the look without making it impossible to negotiate driveways. I also slightly increased the camber to ROW standard. BTW, using Bilstein's terminology, the PSS10's are for the non S models, and the Damptronics are for the S models.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:14 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Coilovers for street? WHY? Stock is 100% perfect for street and anything else will have much worse ride.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the Damptronics on the C2S and I think they're great. I think the stock ride height is way too high, and the coilovers address that. Damptronics interface with The Sport setting, so the comfort and sport scenarios are maintained.

Also, note that the car in the photo that you posted has side skirts.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:28 AM
gonz911
Pro

I really think the stock height is way too high on the car. I realize the car pictured had side skirts as it has an aftermarket rear bumper, but what I noticed is the gap delete. I don't think the h&r springs will give me the drop I'm looking to get. I also realize this is not for most. My M3 was slammed but I also had ARCA and plates. I'm not looking to tuck the tires or anything, just gap delete. I'm also going to address the geometry with the drop
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 AM
gonz911
Pro

It's way to high as 4X4. I can only imagine when the 19" go on the car - even worse

Originally Posted by alexb76
Coilovers for street? WHY? Stock is 100% perfect for street and anything else will have much worse ride.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

imho you did right with springs kit, only i am not sure H&R was best choice, eibach is better.

as of coilovers - if you have pasm then damptronics is a better choice but i am not sure why do you need them. with H&R springs you can put also gt2 sway bars - they will may car stiffer.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:26 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I went with Damptronics instead of new springs so I could have the height adjusted to exactly what I wanted, and not have to worry about settling afterwards. In my case, I wanted minimum drop to avoid bumper scraping, and found that 3/4" worked perfectly to achieve the look I wanted as well as the ability to negotiate driveway humps. I also think the ride quality of the Damptronics is fine. In fact, in sport mode, I think they are less "jiggly" than the factory struts were when in sport mode.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 PM
gonz911
Pro

Anyone think the reduction on wheel gap is more than an inch for a base Carrera? It's hard for me to tell based on pictures I've seen on this forum and others given camera angles. I'd just hate to spend $1k+ on an install to not have the gap delete desired
Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by gonz911
I really think the stock height is way too high on the car. I realize the car pictured had side skirts as it has an aftermarket rear bumper, but what I noticed is the gap delete. I don't think the h&r springs will give me the drop I'm looking to get. I also realize this is not for most. My M3 was slammed but I also had ARCA and plates. I'm not looking to tuck the tires or anything, just gap delete. I'm also going to address the geometry with the drop
rollin 20s now and with PASM - not bad at all
Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Anyone think the reduction on wheel gap is more than an inch for a base Carrera? It's hard for me to tell based on pictures I've seen on this forum and others given camera angles. I'd just hate to spend $1k+ on an install to not have the gap delete desired
It is very subjective, as we all have our own preferences. I didn't eliminate the gap, I just reduced it by about 3/4". I think what I like about it is:
1. the gap is more even on the sides and top of the tires
2. I can still drive every day without major problems negotiating driveway and sidewalk dips. I still have to be careful, but can still go most places. Any lower and I would have problems bottoming out the front bumper/spoiler.

I also think that the combination of slight lowering and slight increase in offset helps. My Champion wheels stick out about 1/2" more than factory wheels, so this also helps "fill" the wheel well. Finally, my deep dish rims visually accent the offset even more.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 03-30-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:13 AM
gonz911
Pro

I really like your car. Thanks for the information.

Below is my photoshop of the car I posted above with Ruf replica wheels. This is the stance I'm looking to achieve. My thought is the H&R springs won't give me this drop.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I really like your car. Thanks for the information.

Below is my photoshop of the car I posted above with Ruf replica wheels. This is the stance I'm looking to achieve. My thought is the H&R springs won't give me this drop.

I think you're right. I'm sure H&R can tell you what the drop would be, but I think it is in the 1 to 1.5" range if I remember correctly. Looks like you want more than that.

Remember that if you drop it a lot, you may have to change out some other links to allow proper camber adjustment. Can't remember the details but I'm sure someone here can advise.

I do like those RUF style wheels.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Coilovers for Street - Recommendations?