Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 vs 997

Old 12-10-2011, 07:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
several local mechanics and people on the thread i started here. any motor can be repaired but, say, to order a new m96 giving away old core with subsequent install price is apparently cheaper than to open up old one and try to fix it.

more than that - i actually spoke with my mechanic a lot of what options he can offer as i keep beating my car on a track, and he is under opinion that any of modern 996/997 street cars should be treated as disposables because as they get used up they accumulate such list of issues that total 'proper' repair price get astronomical and you have to replace half car to keep it working - axles, bearings, gearbox, steering - all has its limit and when it`s reached it has to be carefully assessed what to do next, financially.

as of motors - he does not open any m96/m97 if it does not crank, he says it is counterproductive price wise. a guy i know had a m97 in his car that developed a tendency for random misfires - and it happened to be in the end a problematic valve - so total bill came to $6K to drop off and put back engine plus 24 hours of labor, $120 per hour. that`s just a valve replacement, so what will it look like if you need to split a case and take it all apart? 80 hours? more? and how much re-anufactured and even new m96 costs?

PS. only point i wanted to make - anybody who buys an old 996 car in $2xK - $3xK price range with no warranty should be aware that it is not a honda accord with a motor that can go 1mln miles without a sneeze. and new m96 motor will cost $15K-$20K together with install labor.
When you say: "996/997 street cars should be treated as disposables because as they get used up they accumulate such list of issues that total 'proper' repair price get astronomical and you have to replace half car to keep it working - axles, bearings, gearbox, steering - all has its limit and when it`s reached it has to be carefully assessed what to do next, financially." I think that is far from the truth. A track car sure, not a street car that is not abused.

Your friend's car "that developed a tendency for random misfires - and it happened to be in the end a problematic valve" was that really the case? I find these days that many mechanics are not able to diagnose a problem and carry on a quasi-random trial and error approach, replacing many things which do not need replacing, end up fixing the issue, for a price. There are still excellent mechanics with a head over their shoulders who know how to diagnose problems and minimize costs. If a mechanic does not have experience and strictly follow the error code book... oh well.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
I
No one's going to look at the 996 or 997 gen as the high point of any type of 911 design like we do the 993 simply because they made so many of them. Imho, the 991 looks better, will perform better, thus rendering the previous gen as just that - dated/old.
That they "made so many of them" is completely irrelevant to considering the 997.1 the high-point of the water-pumpers. It's purely a styling thing. The 996 has those bizarre headlights and a dash that looks like is was designed by 3 blind guys who never met each other. The 997.2 has taillights that don't follow any of the rear lines and look like they belong on another car.

As to the 991 looking better, I'm glad you added the "Imho" because the 991 looks more like a 2-door Panamera than a 911.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:31 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
mine wasn't...but then again, I think cabriolets are ugly. any variant.

totally subjective
this
Old 12-12-2011, 03:36 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
That they "made so many of them" is completely irrelevant to considering the 997.1 the high-point of the water-pumpers. It's purely a styling thing. The 996 has those bizarre headlights and a dash that looks like is was designed by 3 blind guys who never met each other. The 997.2 has taillights that don't follow any of the rear lines and look like they belong on another car.

As to the 991 looking better, I'm glad you added the "Imho" because the 991 looks more like a 2-door Panamera than a 911.
$ale$ matter. that's what drives porsche behavior just like any other corporation, bud. Mr. Mauer and his team aren't going to go out and put together the next gen without appeasing to the tastes of an ever growing global audience in an ever more competitive sports car market.

put an R8 next to a 997 and the 997 will look completely outclassed/dated. the 996/7 are more alike than they are diff. the 991 owns. the king is dead, long live...
Old 12-12-2011, 05:18 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
mine wasn't...but then again, I think cabriolets are ugly. any variant.

totally subjective
I was indifferent until I did 130 mph with the top down. That was an amazing experience. Convertibles only for me now.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:11 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Ugly!?!? WOW, this is the dumbest thing I have read on RL in a while, and that is saying something.

If you said the GT-R is ugly that’s one thing, but for a 997 owner, let alone a Porsche enthusiast, to say the 996 is “ugly” is ridiculous. You certainly may prefer the 997 over the 996 but they are far too similar to say that one is ugly and the other a gem.

Considering most people(general public) could not tell the difference between a 996 and 997 parked next to each other, what does your comment say about your 997?
One thing you must overlook when dealing with "some" (P-Car or any hi-end car) owner is, their tastes are governed by their own perception of "those" people who concern themselves with people they don't know exist.

And yes, the GT-R is one ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly vehicle. Not even a black, red and gold badge would help it.

Porsche, there is no substitute.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

$ale$ matter. that's what drives porsche behavior just like any other corporation, bud.
True, but once again irrelevant to the point of the 997 being someday considered the high water mark of the water-cooled-911 ilk. Bud.

put an R8 next to a 997 and the 997 will look completely outclassed/dated.
IYH...and bizarrely erroneous...O. Most people would say, put an R8 next to a 997 and it will look like an Audi next to a Porsche. BTW the 991 doesn't look that much different from a 997, certainly not anywhere in the styling realm of an R8 or any other brand. It's still instantly recognizable as a Porsche 911. The issue with the 991 is simply that it continues to evolve the 911 from sports-car to sporty luxury car. That may be what Porsche's research tells them will sell best, and they may well be correct. But if one considers only the water-cooled generations and only from a styling standpoint, I feel confident that the 997.1 will be seen as the pinnacle...a perfect blend of new and iconically classic, eschewing the step-too-far styling excesses of the 996, 997.2 and now 991.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The issue with the 991 is simply that it continues to evolve the 911 from sports-car to sporty luxury car. That may be what Porsche's research tells them will sell best, and they may well be correct. But if one considers only the water-cooled generations and only from a styling standpoint, I feel confident that the 997.1 will be seen as the pinnacle...a perfect blend of new and iconically classic, eschewing the step-too-far styling excesses of the 996, 997.2 and now 991.
Cognitive dissonance has bitten you hard bud.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray S
Cognitive dissonance has bitten you hard bud.
Sometimes I forget that a car forum isn't like a professional forum in that there is a wide range of intellectual capacities, and I forget to talk down. Thanks for the reminder
Old 12-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

True, but once again irrelevant to the point of the 997 being someday considered the high water mark of the water-cooled-911 ilk. Bud.

IYH...and bizarrely erroneous...O. Most people would say, put an R8 next to a 997 and it will look like an Audi next to a Porsche. BTW the 991 doesn't look that much different from a 997, certainly not anywhere in the styling realm of an R8 or any other brand. It's still instantly recognizable as a Porsche 911. The issue with the 991 is simply that it continues to evolve the 911 from sports-car to sporty luxury car. That may be what Porsche's research tells them will sell best, and they may well be correct. But if one considers only the water-cooled generations and only from a styling standpoint, I feel confident that the 997.1 will be seen as the pinnacle...a perfect blend of new and iconically classic, eschewing the step-too-far styling excesses of the 996, 997.2 and now 991.
With all due respect, you sound like a broken record or just like those guys from the 993 clan casting aspersion, accusing Porsche of going luxo barge from air to water in the infamous 993 to 6 migration.

the 997.2 engine to 991 remains largely the same. the weight is down. it sits lower and wider in true sports car form. the internals have a nice cocoon like design which envelops you. you still have the manual option while the PDK has been further enhanced.

the 997.1 is hardly a pinnacle of anything. in fact, it's porsche's band aid to what is the clean sheet 991 design. the 996 and 997 are more alike than anything so if one is saying the 996 is dog ugly, well, it's only skin deep. i don't find any 911 to be anywhere near the vicinity of ugly btw.

fact is, the 991's going to be around for as long as the 996/7 was if not longer - embrace it, enjoy it because VW's bet is that all you 997 lovers are going to want to upgrade to one.

coming from a 997 owner, i'm looking forward to the gt variants. it's going to be top class.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes I forget that a car forum isn't like a professional forum in that there is a wide range of intellectual capacities, and I forget to talk down. Thanks for the reminder
Actually on a car forum it's perfectly ok to throw out whatever insecurities you have about your car. In fact such things are endearing traits in the world of moldy fig Porsche ludites for whom every new 911 must look, drive, sound, and perform exactly like the previous model to be considered "real".

Sure you might look funny at the fig get togethers when you realize that you have the only water-cooled car in the parking lot, but you just need to get them to understand that your car is the "high point" (shouldn't you really refer to it as the "high water" mark?) in all of 911 figdom. They might even walk outside to look, but they will quickly avert their eyes when they see that your example doesn't even have a GT3 badge on the back that would indicate a Metzger assocation with their real Porsche's. Once they see you car shares the same basic engine with a Boxster (gasp) they will quickly move back indoors and discuss why Porsche should have brough back aircooling for the 991 and ask themselves if lead weights bolted to the front bumpers would have been a preferable solution to improving stability rather than a longer wheelbase.

Fortunately it's not against the forum rules for me to laugh at this type of thing.

Carry on.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

I merely expressed an opinion that the 997.1 styling will go down in history as the most esthetically-pleasing of the water-cooled models. Since that history has yet to be written, only a fool--or two--would attempt to refute my assertion.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

I merely expressed an opinion that the 997.1 styling will go down in history as the most esthetically-pleasing of the water-cooled models. Since that history has yet to be written, only a fool--or two--would attempt to refute my assertion.
Hardly - i personally prefer the 997.2 rear lights (and obviously you dont) - and the front. Apart from those two things, they are identical.

I dont find the 996 or the 991 ugly either. I may actually prefer the 991 to the 997 - although I will reserve judgement until i see it live. Didnt make the LA show as i was out of town. But when I showed my wife the 991 (Christophorus) she said, its looks almost the same. So the changes are hardly ground breaking. Thats the whole point of the 911. The new doesnt make the old look bad or obsolete.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:08 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

With all due respect, you sound like a broken record or just like those guys from the 993 clan casting aspersion, accusing Porsche of going luxo barge from air to water in the infamous 993 to 6 migration.

the 997.2 engine to 991 remains largely the same. the weight is down. it sits lower and wider in true sports car form. the internals have a nice cocoon like design which envelops you. you still have the manual option while the PDK has been further enhanced.

the 997.1 is hardly a pinnacle of anything. in fact, it's porsche's band aid to what is the clean sheet 991 design. the 996 and 997 are more alike than anything so if one is saying the 996 is dog ugly, well, it's only skin deep. i don't find any 911 to be anywhere near the vicinity of ugly btw.

fact is, the 991's going to be around for as long as the 996/7 was if not longer - embrace it, enjoy it because VW's bet is that all you 997 lovers are going to want to upgrade to one.

coming from a 997 owner, i'm looking forward to the gt variants. it's going to be top class.
I think you summed it up well. I may not jump on the 991 bandwagon right away but I am very intrigued. Maybe 991.2 time frame.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Actually, the 991 taillights are much better integrated esthetically with the car's rear lines than the 997.2. At least as well as the 997.1 in fact. The only thing I see that I don't like about the 991 is the interior center console. It's not that it's bad looking, it just seems busier and more opulent than one would expect in a true sports car. Not a big deal, but then as we all know, it's the little details that matter most.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 vs 997