Sponsored by:

C2 V/S C4 in NE winters

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CO997
Actually what is frustrating is that is hasn't been just one dealer but 3 so far. They are in 2 different states, Florida and Pennsylvania, and they are giving the exact same answer down to the same 5% figure for transfer of power to the front wheels.
Wouldn't this be documented somewhere, say on the Porsche web site?
That shows how DUMB the sales ppl are! Jeez!

It depends which model you are talking about 997.1 or 997.2? They use two different technologies, the .2 actually has more FWD engagement than .1 and to me felt more like Audi than my .1.

Just a quick search, I don't have time to do more... Usually the best way to search for AWD in Porsche is to look up Turbo as Turbo 997.1 has the same AWD as 997.2 C4S, and the same for 997.2.

Wikipedia Quote:
The viscous clutch all wheel drive system (997.1) sends between 5% and 40% of engine torque to the front wheels as needed.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...eatures-page-2
Old 12-09-2011, 01:28 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CO997
Actually what is frustrating is that is hasn't been just one dealer but 3 so far. They are in 2 different states, Florida and Pennsylvania, and they are giving the exact same answer down to the same 5% figure for transfer of power to the front wheels.
Wouldn't this be documented somewhere, say on the Porsche web site?
Just curious, which dealer in Pittsburgh told you this, and would you happen to remember any of their names?
Old 12-10-2011, 03:57 PM
CO997
Racer

I remember their names but I'm not posting this to bash a salesman or dealership. I just posted here for advice from folks here that have more experience and knowledge then i do. They guys were nice guys and not pushy. Seems they just gave some incorrect answers. However they are not the only ones. Remember I got the exact same answer from a dealer in Florida. What caught my attention was their answers were exactly the same.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:06 PM
black pepper
4th Gear

I dont know why there is such a huge volume of ppl who say the only way to go is c4. Most ppl do not drive four wheel drive cars all year round. To say that you cant drive the two wheel drive carrera in winter always perplexes me. I as many other drive mine all year round and it is solely an issue of tires. Anyone who doesnt accept that point like i at first didnt needs to accept it makes worlds difference. There is nothing wrong with c2 in winter or snow assuming one is reasonable. Of course the four wheel would be better in that condition but i didnt buy my car to use only in that condition and wanted the two wheel drive 100% of the time. If you are considering buying a c2 or c2s and are worried it will not work in winter or snow please throw that idea out the window and buy your two wheel drive vehicle. If you like the four wheel solution otherwise please buy away. But dont think for a second that it is not doable with the two. It just handles differently and some of us really like that about it.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by black pepper
Most ppl do not drive four wheel drive cars all year round. To say that you cant drive the two wheel drive carrera in winter always perplexes me.
+1

When I was a kid in the '70's, I'd always go with my dad to get snows put on his V8, rear drive Monte Carlos or whatever rear drive car he had at the time. We never had issues and I never remember getting stuck as a kid. Of course if it was a bad blizzard, you either stayed home or waited for the plow to come through. In this day and age, no one has patience to stay home (my household is guilty as charged too) and we're always on the go and the vehicle had better take us there with zero wheel spin or white knuckling the ride. My wife has a AWD SUV and I bet that rear end has been engaged maybe three times during our ownership.

My first car was a rear drive Mitsubishi product. Super light in the rear and horrendous in the snow since I always had nearly bald tires. Once my dad bought me a set of used snow tires for the rear and I learned the trick of 100 pounds in the trunk/hatch, my troubles were over. Never got stuck if I used my brain.

911's have been driven in snow since the '60's without issues. Get good tires and have at it. Of course all wheel drive is always better in poor conditions. But, I think sometimes we get spoiled by all the technology and don't remember what it was like to have only rear drive on cars...
Old 12-10-2011, 05:32 PM
CHV
Instructor

My solution was to buy a 6 year old 3 series BMW and put snow tires on it for a winter beater. I leave the P car in the garage. The snow plowing is my biggest concern w/ my P car having SPASM and damaging the front end w/ ice chunks as others above have experienced.

If I had to get around in only 1, I'd choose an C4/C4s w/o SPASM and put dedicated snows on it. My buddy w/a Turbo S Cab drives his year round w/ the snow plowing problem his only complaint.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

A few people have mentioned hills, and I think that is a key consideration in the decision. Snow tires are crucial, and with a good set, most of us can drive safely all winter on highways and flat roads with varying amounts of snow cover.

If you live in a hilly area, though, consider AWD. As tough as snow tires are, the laws of physics in pushing a heavy object up a slippery incline are tougher.

I live in a hilly part of Denver, and I drive a BMW E60 545, which is a powerful rear wheel drive car. I have snow tires, but sometimes I can't get to my own mailbox in fresh snow - it's about 200 yards away from my driveway and maybe 20 feet higher.

I thought I would try a RWD car with snow tires after several AWD cars in my past. It's fine 90% of the time and always in the city. Gets a little dicey in the hills though.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WJGreer
I live in a hilly part of Denver, and I drive a BMW E60 545, which is a powerful rear wheel drive car. I have snow tires, but sometimes I can't get to my own mailbox in fresh snow - it's about 200 yards away from my driveway and maybe 20 feet higher.
No comparison to a 911. I've driven plenty of RWD BMW's in the snow and in general they suck (even with snow tires). The 911 carries 60% of it's weight over the rear wheels and that makes all the difference. My C2 is hands down the best 2wd car I have ever driven in the snow.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
The 911 carries 60% of it's weight over the rear wheels and that makes all the difference.
Absolutely correct. 911's, whether C2 or C4, do very well in snow on good winter tires as long as the snow is not deep enough to present clearance issues.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
No comparison to a 911. I've driven plenty of RWD BMW's in the snow and in general they suck (even with snow tires). The 911 carries 60% of it's weight over the rear wheels and that makes all the difference. My C2 is hands down the best 2wd car I have ever driven in the snow.
I guess I teed myself up for that by using something other than a Porsche as an example on a Porsche forum.

Sure...I'll agree that a rear wheel drive car having 60% of its weight over the back wheels will provide better snow traction than a rear wheel drive car having 50% of its weight there.

But, an all wheel drive version of any car will perform better in the snow than a rear wheel drive version of the same car, if they both have the same tires. And that advantage will be amplified dramatically in hilly areas.

The OP was asking for our recommendation of a C2 versus a C4, right?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Here in the PNW the problem is not really snow but ice. Snow is child's play. Snow is a great traction surface. Ice on a steep hill will stop you and causes a lot of accidents.

I've seen a lot of Porsches (and tons of other cars) pulled over to the side of the road and left because of ice on the roads.

I just get on home in my C4.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:12 AM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I've also seen many vehicles abandoned while on a trip in the Chianti region during a rare storm in late February 2 years ago. The well prepared Italians simply pulled out their snow chains and easily scaled very steep slippery hills without a problem. Buy a C4 if that is what you like but don't feel a C2 can't handle winter snow/ ice with proper tires. If you want to be prepared for it all then your local Porsche dealer can get you a set of snow chains to carry in your trunk.

Some owners like the lighter weight, different handling characteristics, better fuel economy and lower purchase price of a C2. No one denies that a C4 is "gooder" in the winter. It just isn't a requirement as the C2 is good.

Quick Reply: C2 V/S C4 in NE winters