Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem filling fuel tank? Or...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:17 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I did find an alternative to that little clip that lets you walk away while the tank fills. Patronize a new/old establishment called a surrvis stachun [sp?]. They have minions who dash up cheerfully and clean your windshield as well as filling your tank with liquid fuel. Charming. Unfortunately, I think the business concept is a local custom of one of the quaint towns I visited on this trip. I've only seen the one example in Pebble Beach, California along a pretty lane they call "17-Mile Drive" and I suppose it wouldn't be worth driving there from my home 328 miles away.

Gary
"You can trust your car to the man who wears the star!"
Old 12-12-2012, 12:53 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
"You can trust your car to the man who wears the star!"
Texaco!

Nice pull Larry!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
stacheman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the dealer to see about the adapter mentioned previously but he said he had not heard about such a thing so I gave him the part number and he couldn't find it either-clains they haven't encountered this problem before.
I checked out the Suncoast website and that part number didn't work for them either.
Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated as I am fed up with either not being able to fill the tank or having fuel spill down the side.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
I read recently that they are doing away with the little mechanism that allows you to pull the trigger and walk away.
One (of several) designs was recalled. Station owners need to replace it or else you have to do hold the nozzle during the fill. One of my local cheapo stations won't update to save money. I don't fill there any more dave
Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stacheman
I went to the dealer to see about the adapter mentioned previously but he said he had not heard about such a thing so I gave him the part number and he couldn't find it either-clains they haven't encountered this problem before.
I checked out the Suncoast website and that part number didn't work for them either.
Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated as I am fed up with either not being able to fill the tank or having fuel spill down the side.
The campaign is W913. I don't have the number for the part my dealer installed.

Gary
Old 12-19-2012, 12:44 PM
CarlWSpencer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stacheman
According to Suncoast (Monday this week), they stock part number 997-201-944-00 OEM fuel filler adapter for $7.12. Just reference this number and they can help you.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:20 PM
BobDyl
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Carl! I might do that ... but I also have to echo some earlier comments. If you turn the nozzle 90 degrees while filling, it will fill all the way up before shutting off. Even in California...
Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Wouldnt the adapter crown (which sticks up a bit) interfere with the fuel cap vacuum seal or wear off the cap's oring prematurely?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:15 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Gary: I have the same question as Mike. But, in any case, these CA 'vapor recovery' gizmos are a big PITA. In our cars I found that twisting the nozzle 90 deg clockwise from the usual transversal/down position (i.e., aligning the main plane of the nozzle with the front-back direction of the car) helps. And yes, never overfill, as it contaminates the emissions back-flow system.
This works for me. Hard to get the nozzle to stay in this position for the entire fill. It works for the last 3/4 to full though...
J

Quick Reply: Problem filling fuel tank? Or...