Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem filling fuel tank? Or...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:09 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go to your dealer and ask them to install this 'adapter.' (edited: thanks forumer 'function12' for the correction, below is a newer picture with the gas cap removed, so we can see the crown-like black ring adapter around the filler neck.)

Now I can go to any gas station, use any pump, and fuel up as much as I like.

With best regards,

Name:  997cap1.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  49.3 KB

Last edited by axhoaxho; 11-27-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM
boolala
Race Car

^^^yes, but do they make one in alcantara or alumilook?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

[/QUOTE]

That is NOT it.
It is a black ring that slide over the outside of the filler neck. The top side of the ring has little humps. Almost the a crown. I will see if I can get a pic later today.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:12 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Had the same issue with a new C class Mercedes this week in So Cal. The new nozzles don't seat properly on the filler neck. I had to push the nozzle as far it would go into the filler neck for the entire fill, and was able to get a full tank.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:05 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by function12
That is NOT it.
It is a black ring that slide over the outside of the filler neck. The top side of the ring has little humps. Almost the a crown. I will see if I can get a pic later today.
Thanks function12, I corrected it in my post above.

With best regards,
Old 11-28-2011, 04:42 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Just go to your dealer and ask them to install this 'adapter.' (edited: thanks forumer 'function12' for the correction, below is a newer picture with the gas cap removed, so we can see the crown-like black ring adapter around the filler neck.)

Now I can go to any gas station, use any pump, and fuel up as much as I like.

With best regards,

That is it. I ordered mine from Suncoast. It was around $5.00.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That is the part exactly. (notice the black plastic ring around the metal fuel inlet)

I took the car to the dealer, complained about the premature fuel shutoff and they installed the adapter for free. If you are out of warranty, I imagine it would be cheaper to order the part and install yourself.. though it might be worth checking with your dealer about what the part would cost.

Its not just the Porsches. My 2002 VW New Beetle has the same exact issue. It may be the result of some EPA maroon assuming that all americans drive Detroit or Far East origin cars that have some difference in the way the fuel tank entry is designed, or just bad luck in my choice of cars. The idea backfired for the state of Washington as on a refill in the summer, having to constantly press then handle again to work my way from 1/2 tank to a full tank I ended up dumping a couple pints of fuel on the ground as the tank eventually overflowed.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 PM
BobDyl
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Reviving an old thread. Can anyone point me to this "fuel ring" part on Suncoast or Pelican? I can't find it... thanks in advance for your help
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Enzo559
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im glad i seen that i wasnt the only person who this was happening it too. I live in the central valley(Fresno,ca) an i felt like the kid who took daddys porsche out for a joy ride. Maybe its a california thing?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzo559
Im glad i seen that i wasnt the only person who this was happening it too. I live in the central valley(Fresno,ca) an i felt like the kid who took daddys porsche out for a joy ride. Maybe its a california thing?
I think it is a Calif thing for now. New nozzles on the gas pump cause this problem. Porsche will install a fix for free. At least if your car's under warranty, and maybe for anyone who is nice to the service guys.

Gary
Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Got one from my dealer a year ago and no more problems since.
I was repeatedly having a problem at one pump at my local station until I put this on.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Sometimes I am happy that I live in the "backwards" south.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same problem here, Gary... I started tilting the nozzle a bit during fill, (in effect, pointing the inserted end of the nozzle downward), however, all of this 'filler ring adaptor' fix stuff may just be a moot point soon in Cali. I read recently that they are doing away with the little mechanism that allows you to pull the trigger and walk away. I've already seen it missing in a couple of my favorite gasoline haunts. We'll be standing there holding our 'nozzles' for the entire fill soon.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
Same problem here, Gary... I started tilting the nozzle a bit during fill, (in effect, pointing the inserted end of the nozzle downward), however, all of this 'filler ring adaptor' fix stuff may just be a moot point soon in Cali. I read recently that they are doing away with the little mechanism that allows you to pull the trigger and walk away. I've already seen it missing in a couple of my favorite gasoline haunts. We'll be standing there holding our 'nozzles' for the entire fill soon.
My favorite place already has. The problem did not go away though. Even held by hand, the car won't accept more than about 2/3 full until you add the widget Porsche designed. (Which I suspect entirely defeats the purpose of those new nozzles. That doubles the pleasure of having one installed.)

I did find an alternative to that little clip that lets you walk away while the tank fills. Patronize a new/old establishment called a surrvis stachun [sp?]. They have minions who dash up cheerfully and clean your windshield as well as filling your tank with liquid fuel. Charming. Unfortunately, I think the business concept is a local custom of one of the quaint towns I visited on this trip. I've only seen the one example in Pebble Beach, California along a pretty lane they call "17-Mile Drive" and I suppose it wouldn't be worth driving there from my home 328 miles away.

Gary
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
My favorite place already has. The problem did not go away though. Even held by hand, the car won't accept more than about 2/3 full until you add the widget Porsche designed. (Which I suspect entirely defeats the purpose of those new nozzles. That doubles the pleasure of having one installed.)

I did find an alternative to that little clip that lets you walk away while the tank fills. Patronize a new/old establishment called a surrvis stachun [sp?]. They have minions who dash up cheerfully and clean your windshield as well as filling your tank with liquid fuel. Charming. Unfortunately, I think the business concept is a local custom of one of the quaint towns I visited on this trip. I've only seen the one example in Pebble Beach, California along a pretty lane they call "17-Mile Drive" and I suppose it wouldn't be worth driving there from my home 328 miles away.

Gary
Nor the 358 mile drive from my place... but what a concept huh? Full service gas stations? I'm sure that there are more than a few of us who remember what it was like to pull up to a pump, remain behind the wheel, and have an attendant wash your windows, fill your tank, and even ask if you wanted your oil checked!

As for the 17 mile drive, I have been on that beautiful road. The entire peninsula is pretty spectacular as a matter of fact... from Carmel Valley to Pebble Beach, to Monterey... but I digress. It seems that I need to get one of those little 'doohickeys' for my fill neck.

Quick Reply: Problem filling fuel tank? Or...