Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSK and Mesh Grilled Installed - Impressions (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSK and Mesh Grilled Installed - Impressions (LONG)

Hi Everyone,

I finally had the opportunity to get my Rennline Mesh Grills, Porsche SSK and Valentine One concealed remote installed.

I ordered everything through the manufacturers except for the OEM SSK which was ordered through Sunset Porsche - great price, fast delivery and very good customer service!

After some extensive online research, I went to House Automotive in Pasadena for the installs. I made an appointment with Greg and Ernie completed the install. Although they are far from me, I'm glad I went and was very impressed with Greg and Ernie. Both were very customer service oriented and had great attention to detail - even for my OCD (CDO) standards. The pricing was very fair and they let me watch the whole time. Ernie and Greg explained everything and walked me through each process. Both looked very young but have many years of experience and are very professional. I would highly recommend this indy shop, they are honest, experienced and more importantly CARE and VALUE your business.

As for my impressions of the SSK, I must say I don't understand why Porsche manual cars don't come this way period! Why is this even an option? The car now feels so much more solid and precise. I purposely paid extra attention prior (to the install) on the drive up with the standard shifter. Although it's not a night and day difference the SSK is FAR SUPERIOR than normal stock. I don't feel the "knotchiness" that people have mentioned, the throws are crisp, solid and it is really a good feeling. When I shift now, the shifter feels direct, precise and solid throughout the gearbox. I "rowed" through the gears and each gear feels equally precise and smooth (no knotchiness even when cold) . Those of you debating on whether or not to get this option, I would highly suggest doing it!

As for the Rennline Mesh Grills, overall I like the look and functionality of them. They were not that easy to install, Ernie had to pull the front bumper cover off and that in itself is a chore then had to manipulate them a bit to align up for the install. The mesh grills were cut and shaped well but Ernie still had to do some minor modifications to make them fit. These modifications ARE NOT A DESIGN FLAW, they come flat and need to be bent a bit and manipulated to fit. I had Ernie put extra screws in to make sure they were on securely. Overall very nice grills.

As for the Valentine One hardwire and concealed remote install, I forgot to being the detector from my DD and only brought the concealed remote, bussman Add a fuse adapter and wiring harness. Unfortunately its not working and I will need to go back but that was probably my fault for not bring the detector itself.

Again, thank you to Greg and Ernie at House Automotive, Sunset Porsche, Rennline and Valentine One.

Last edited by Wannabeproracer; 11-20-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:56 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also wondered why Porsche didn't make the short shifter standard. Then I realized they would make 4 wheels optional if they could.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The V1 is probably not working because you need to verify all the connections are right. I thought it was a little confusing when I did mine, but you should be able to sort it out if you are patient and think about what you are doing.

I made all my connections outside of the car and made sure wire A went to plug A and so on (you will have to label them yourself to get it right) and then did the install, plugged in the three wires, and it was done.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Wannabe - how about some pics???

I'd really love to get mesh installed - no way I'd even think of doing it myself

if anyone knows of an option in the SF bay area - it's be much appreciated
Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

pissedpuppy there's always S Car Go in the Bay Area!

here are some pics, again my apologies for my "lack of photography skills"
Attached Images    
Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

S Car Go will sell and install? if so - SWEET!

your look great, like factory (as they should have been)
Old 11-20-2011, 03:25 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Wannabe - how long did it take to receive your black mesh grill inserts from Rennline? I ordered mine the 9th and nada to date. Car looks great with them.
+1 for Sunset Porsche as well.......always great to deal with.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

X51 I got mine pretty quick within a week of ordering
I think it because of mine is the 997.2?
I also bought the tow hook license plate holder from Rennline.

Puppy- I don't know if S Car Go sells or installs the grills but I would image the can without any problems
Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabeproracer
..here are some pics, again my apologies for my "lack of photography skills"
Man, those look great!.. Need someone here on the east coast to install those - I'd do it in a heartbeat.

What are the two black plastic parts on the concrete below the front facia?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

NC 997 - those are the front plastic wheel well covers that sits inside the front wheel well (sorry if that's redundant), it has to be removed to take the front bumper off.

I'm lucky that I found a honest, experienced and great customer service indy shop.

BTW I finally got my radar detector to work, I had to play around with the fuse holder and made sure I had good contact with the fuse box.

I'm a happy camper.

SSK installed - check
Mesh Grill installed - check
Radar Detector hardwired - check
Ready for the track - errr in another 2500 miles...
Smile on my face - PRICELESS

Quick Reply: SSK and Mesh Grilled Installed - Impressions (LONG)