Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear: 991 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011 | 02:27 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Jay-can you give us some more insight on the key while we're waiting for the real thing? I love my 997 key, mainly due to the impression it makes on the ladies. If the 991 key is going to be much smaller, I may need to rethink my pick-up lines. Cheers.
997 key versus 991 key (well it's a Cayenne key but the 991 key will be very similar if not identical). Don't know if this will help your pickup line or not; I'm afraid to ask what it is.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2011 | 02:51 AM
mdr2001
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I have the GMT II and Submariner and find they both keep very good time. The key is how you rest it when not wearing it, and how you brief your watchmaker on how you wear it. You have to tell them which wrist you are wearing it on, and whether you wear it in or out (facing up or in toward your body). These are factors that greatly influence how well it keeps time. I keep WWV on my phone and check them regularly and they keep very good time.

So--don't give up on your Rolexes!
Interesting thread -- I want to comment on the Rolex accuracy. I also have a Rolex Submariner which has always kept great time (6+ years and never serviced) - never losing more than a second per day. Just as Porsche has a tolerance for Oil consumption, so does Rolex for seconds gained or lost in a 24 hour period.

Watches are not only time pieces, but jewelry... Mine works well as both,
Old 11-21-2011 | 11:54 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdr2001
Interesting thread -- I want to comment on the Rolex accuracy. I also have a Rolex Submariner which has always kept great time (6+ years and never serviced) - never losing more than a second per day. Just as Porsche has a tolerance for Oil consumption, so does Rolex for seconds gained or lost in a 24 hour period.

Watches are not only time pieces, but jewelry... Mine works well as both,
I don't really notice the handle as much as the Avatar. I see yours and the first thing I think is, "WOW, NICE CAR!" Then, a nanosecond later, I feel like an Idiot; Of course I'd think it is a beautiful car! Hope she's treating you well!
Old 11-21-2011 | 12:34 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

My 997 GT3 is more than a handfull compared with the 993 I had?

Originally Posted by Edgy01
As a long time Porsche owner and driver I can only say that with each successive generation they (Porsche) make you appear to be a better driver than anyone else. You can be a rear-engined sports car novice but Porsche will make you look like you've been driving these things since you were are teenager. Clearly, one of the downfalls of such controllability will be some loss of the rawness of the previous generation(s). Porsche believes that the majority of their present buyers are seeking that sort of improvement. I can say that driving the 997 is a lot easier for long, challenging drives than a 996, and a 996 is over a 993, and a 993 is hands over a 964, and so on. The 991 is simply the next step.
Old 11-21-2011 | 01:36 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Rodsky yes I've not driven it and given my very average driving capabilities it really does not matter. I think they did cross the line on the 991due to the GT like interior and luxury options (like the burmester). When I see the bimmers the 3 vs 5 vs 7 series I have always compared them as similar hot dogs in different sizes. Now I just hope that it's not the same with Porsche: The 911, Panamera and the Cayenne. Just the thought that someone would add the burmester, and a noise insulating double paned glass in a car that has such a wonderful exhaust makes me cringe. Hey but if that's what people want I am okay with it. Please ... I don't want to be perceived as a 997 camper or 991 hater as (after household duties are completed and when I am finally ready to regularly find time to track my carj)my next Porsche will be a second gen 991 GT3 in 6 to 7 years from now.
Woot - i think you and I are very similar in this thinking. I do not currently have plans to get a 991. I think my 997.2 is too awesome to spend $50K for a modest upgrade. Its faster than I can currently use and has all the bells and whistles. I love it.

However, you see it on rennlist - 993 folks bashing anything water cooled, 997.1 saying the DFI engines suck, use oil and HPFP issues and on and on - and i scratch my head. All the purists in their 997's jump on the horse. A 997 is very far from a 1986 3.2 as you know and so do i having owned one for 5 years. Not sure when the line got crossed. I'm not sure that a Burmester does that. If it weighs 50 pounds more - maybe. If the 991 steering sux or its boring to drive - maybe. But if the interior is more luxurious, it has better bells and whistles, weighs less and kicks *** - i may step up to the table. But I aint jumping to a conclusion before driving it or saying that its not a 911 because its 4cm longer. If i did that i wouldnt have bought a 997.2 or a 9996 or a 964 for that matter.

I do think a GT3 is in the cards for me too (in 4-6 years time). i am torn by the fact that i would drive it less but maybe enjoy it more when i did. I love going to the grocery store in my 911 - for that matter anywhere.
Old 11-21-2011 | 02:39 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rodsky
Woot - i think you and I are very similar in this thinking. I do not currently have plans to get a 991. I think my 997.2 is too awesome to spend $50K for a modest upgrade. Its faster than I can currently use and has all the bells and whistles. I love it.

However, you see it on rennlist - 993 folks bashing anything water cooled, 997.1 saying the DFI engines suck, use oil and HPFP issues and on and on - and i scratch my head. All the purists in their 997's jump on the horse. A 997 is very far from a 1986 3.2 as you know and so do i having owned one for 5 years. Not sure when the line got crossed. I'm not sure that a Burmester does that. If it weighs 50 pounds more - maybe. If the 991 steering sux or its boring to drive - maybe. But if the interior is more luxurious, it has better bells and whistles, weighs less and kicks *** - i may step up to the table. But I aint jumping to a conclusion before driving it or saying that its not a 911 because its 4cm longer. If i did that i wouldnt have bought a 997.2 or a 9996 or a 964 for that matter.

I do think a GT3 is in the cards for me too (in 4-6 years time). i am torn by the fact that i would drive it less but maybe enjoy it more when i did. I love going to the grocery store in my 911 - for that matter anywhere.
You are wrong. The owners of the 997.2 cars are the ones complaining about the oil consumption and HPFPs in the 997.2s. Why would a 997.1 owner complain about something that is not their problem? Personally, I have a BMW 535 with DFI which is why I am glad I do not have a 911 with DFI. My 535, by the way, is a problem. As far as the trend is concerned, Porsche continues to move from the raw sports car to the luxury GT. Perhaps it must be that way as the future drivers (buyers) have different values or priorities. Event the sales professional at the local dealer told me that at a Porsche regional meeting last year, they were told by HQ managers that "the sedan and the SUV are the future and 911 represents the past" for their business.
Old 11-21-2011 | 03:02 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fahrer
You are wrong. The owners of the 997.2 cars are the ones complaining about the oil consumption and HPFPs in the 997.2s. Why would a 997.1 owner complain about something that is not their problem? Personally, I have a BMW 535 with DFI which is why I am glad I do not have a 911 with DFI. My 535, by the way, is a problem. As far as the trend is concerned, Porsche continues to move from the raw sports car to the luxury GT. Perhaps it must be that way as the future drivers (buyers) have different values or priorities. Event the sales professional at the local dealer told me that at a Porsche regional meeting last year, they were told by HQ managers that "the sedan and the SUV are the future and 911 represents the past" for their business.
Then they need to do a lot better with the sedan lineup. Panamera Turbo is fine on the stats sheet, but you pay big for it. The other Panameras shouldn't be outperformed by the outgoing M3 that starts in the $50's. There is NO escape from this argument - these Panameras are built for luxury customers, not those whose primary (or near primary) concern is performance, especially performance relative to competition.
Old 11-21-2011 | 03:35 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Then they need to do a lot better with the sedan lineup. Panamera Turbo is fine on the stats sheet, but you pay big for it. The other Panameras shouldn't be outperformed by the outgoing M3 that starts in the $50's. There is NO escape from this argument - these Panameras are built for luxury customers, not those whose primary (or near primary) concern is performance, especially performance relative to competition.
I think the M3 is not comparable to the Panamera. I would think a 6 or 7 series BMW would be more comparable to the P sedan. Actually, if one were to be cruising the Autobahn at high speed, the Panamera would be much better than a 911 or an M3. I think, though, that VW will clip the wings of Porsche in the sedan segment after a few years. Panamera sales have seemed to level off pretty quickly already. I believe the Panamera was designed when Porsche was very vulnerable as an independent wih only sports cars in their lineup. Under the VW umbrella, Porsche can concentrate on sports cars without the risk of financial failure during tough economic times. They have been in that situation a few times. Any future Panamera possiblity is likely to be based on a VW or Audi platform.
Old 11-21-2011 | 04:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdr2001
+1 I have an orange hand Rolex Explorer II that I've owned since the late 70's. It was serviced by Rolex about 5 years ago and keeps great time, in the range of 30-60 seconds a month, which is better than my everyday watch, a Tag Heuer Carrera. There's something about well made mechanical watches that just can't be matched by admittedly more accurate electronic ones. Kind of like owning a Porsche.....
Old 11-21-2011 | 05:07 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
The exhaust sound in the cabin is channeled via a resonant chamber and vibrating membrane in the rear panel... Isn't this a gizmo? What happens when the membrane comes apart? another item to go wrong? Please!

At the same time the car is well insulated to filter out road noise and such.

I think this is awesome BTW. I want to hear the engine to be involved with what it's doing, hear what RPM it's at, etc. But I don't really want to hear tires rumbling on long freeway drives.

And when I'm at the track the windows are open!
Old 11-21-2011 | 06:54 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
997 key versus 991 key (well it's a Cayenne key but the 991 key will be very similar if not identical). Don't know if this will help your pickup line or not; I'm afraid to ask what it is.
Wow, cute key, it even looks like a Porsh.
Old 11-21-2011 | 08:14 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by delanobe
My 997 GT3 is more than a handfull compared with the 993 I had?
I think Edgy's comment was comparing the base 911s over the subsequent production releases... As I noted earlier in this thread, I would have a serious problem with Porsche if they had not introduced the GT3 series to augment this movement to more complaint "GT" cars...

-B
Old 11-21-2011 | 09:29 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
I think this is awesome BTW. I want to hear the engine to be involved with what it's doing, hear what RPM it's at, etc. But I don't really want to hear tires rumbling on long freeway drives.

And when I'm at the track the windows are open!
Just think-the second gen 991 can have you switch between synthesized throaty exhaust sound to the sound of gulls and gentle waves hitting the shore.
Old 11-21-2011 | 10:04 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Perhaps you should really read what I wrote and understand it before you state that I am wrong. I spoke of 997.1 owners saying XYZ, not of 997.1 owners complaining about 997.2's. Most of the 997.2 owners that I know (myself included) are not complaining. On the contrary, they are very happy with their vehicles. Given the choice between a 997.2 and a 997.1, I would do it all over again. I'll take the risk of an HPFP issue (although I have had none) and the better performing car. Most of your posts seem to state issues about 997.2's based on what you read on the internet or based on your BMW - with very little facts to back up what you state.
Old 11-21-2011 | 10:09 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

We may be missing the point here...I just read the Autocar magazine's 991 first driving test. The author, Greg Kable, is raving over the car. It is lighter, faster, better planted and sounds even better than the 997 at full throttle according to him. I am looking forward to driving this thing!

Quick Reply: Top Gear: 991 Test Drive