997 brake and clutch bleeding problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:08 PM
dustoff6
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 brake and clutch bleeding problem

I have a 2006 997S
I changed my clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and rear main seal. my ims is seeping tightened the 3 small bolts they were pretty loose. I will have to address that IMS problem later. Actually the rms was OK but since I was in there I changed it.
It was not difficult to do. Alldata instructions were good enough to do the job.
The clutch disc was gone pressure plate needed just a touch of polishing (only 55000 miles I bought it with 31000 miles I was the third owner----I have had 3 Porsches since 1973 ---- this is the first one I lost a clutch on with such low miles. Still have my 1983 911 with 205000 miles only 1 clutch change)
Then after the changes of course had to bleed the hydraulic clutch:
bleeding the clutch and brakes is not going well.
I purchased a Motive power bleeder seemed pretty straight forward but after connecting the power bleeder and pumping it up to 13-14psi when I opened the clutch bleed screw (bummer to get to) only a little bit of fluid would squirt out into the clear plastic tube and down to the jar. After numerous pedal pumping attempts the clutch was still not right ( followed Renn Tech suggested procedures and other comments on Rennlist
I finally got the air out of the clutch lines and slave cylinder: I think --- The car is still on the lift
so I proceeded to the brakes to flush them, filled and pumped up the power bleeder to 13-14psi (it will not go any higher) then went to the right rear wheel and opened the outside bleed screw-- I expected a steady flow until some newer better looking fluid pumped out ---however maybe 1/2 oz comes out and stops ie no more pressure..
Tried it several times- the bleeder never loses pressure during the openings
Maybe since my power bleeder can not get above 13-14 psi it will not pump the fluid through the lines??? But that does not sound right. Heck I could do it the old fashion way but I thought this power bleeder was supposed to be the cats meow>
Any ideas what I am doing wrong?????
ray
Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If your using the motive, you should pump up the pressure closer to 18-20psi to get the fluid to move at a decent rate. Did you also do a check with the motive to make sure when you pump it up, that it doesnt leak, the seal around the mc cap is notorious for leaking air. Also make sure your bleeder screw is opened up a good half turn. i ran into the same problem on a VW GTI and was told it varies from car to car.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:33 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I've used 5 different methods to bleed and it always seems like you get the best bleed using the old fashioned method with 2 people- one at the pedal. It's especially true when you're filling up the system for the first time (the air is too compressible?). It usually works but it doesn't seem like i can get it as well-bled as the traditional method. The power bleeders are better but the vacuum on the slave method is really weak.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 AM
dustoff6
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I flushed and bleed the system the old fashion way. I could never figure out what I was doing wrong. Probably my motive bleeder does not develop enough pressure (max 13-14psi). I bought it many years ago and never used it.

Quick Reply: 997 brake and clutch bleeding problem