Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touchless carwash safe for cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 PM
moorejd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touchless carwash safe for cabriolet?

How safe are touchless car washes for p-cars in general, but convertibles in particular?

I have a 2006 C2S Cab in all-black, which I plan to drive during the winter (with 18" winter rims / PA2s). I live in Manhattan though, and the roads around here are covered in salt. As such, I'd like to take her through a chassis bath to knock off any salt/snow before once a week or so (not a DD, more a weekend car).

Until now, I've only had her hand washed, but I'm getting conflicting advice. In particular, unless I shell out for a proper detailing, the shop may reuse dirty mitts and swirl the paint?

Also, the only places I can find that will wash the undercarriage, only do so as part of their touchless wash service - they don't do it during a hand wash.

So what should I do? Continue to have it handwashed and just tip heavily upfront so they use news mits, and ignore the chassis bath, or risk the touchless wash? I hear that the damage in a touchless wash occurs *after* the wash, because they don't get all the dirt off, and some of it gets rubbed into during the drying process?

Who knew this could be so complicated
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
onetrickpony
Intermediate

You will get swirls on a black car, especially from when they dry your car coming out of the carwash - those dry towels are rarely clean.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:38 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

On our previous 997 cab, one use while on a road trip, resulted in a leaky drivers side window. Dealer fixed it somehow.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

No. Porsche recommends against any power washes. Keep in mind that touchless washers have to up their power to remove the stuff that they routinely would use brushes for (the mechanical method). The higher water pressure WILL get in. These cars are outstanding, but never designed to resist that level of power!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
No. Porsche recommends against any power washes. Keep in mind that touchless washers have to up their power to remove the stuff that they routinely would use brushes for (the mechanical method). The higher water pressure WILL get in. These cars are outstanding, but never designed to resist that level of power!
Does your touchless carwash have such high pressure? The ones I've used are definitely not even close to half of a typical *power wash* pressure, they only higher power wash is used for ones pointed at the wheels, which are still WAY LOWER than a *power washer*.

Actually, the detailer I've been going to uses a power washer for wheels as for the car... and they detail Bugatti and McLaren cars over there!

So, to respond to OP, I've used the touchless car wash many times over the winters and have absolutely seen NO ill effect or issues using those on my 997 nor on my Audi and not even on my friend's Ferrari. Also, not even a drop of water ever got in... It definitly beats dirt built up and salt on your car, or dirty towels used to dry the cars at typical car washes. The only thing is that touchless NEVER cleans as good as a proper wash, which is fine by me during winter months!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

The owner's manual says not to put a cab through a car wash. I don't know what the recommendation is for a coupe, but I assume it is the same.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:52 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by alexb76
Does your touchless carwash have such high pressure? The ones I've used are definitely not even close to half of a typical *power wash* pressure, they only higher power wash is used for ones pointed at the wheels, which are still WAY LOWER than a *power washer*.

Actually, the detailer I've been going to uses a power washer for wheels as for the car... and they detail Bugatti and McLaren cars over there!

So, to respond to OP, I've used the touchless car wash many times over the winters and have absolutely seen NO ill effect or issues using those on my 997 nor on my Audi and not even on my friend's Ferrari. Also, not even a drop of water ever got in... It definitly beats dirt built up and salt on your car, or dirty towels used to dry the cars at typical car washes. The only thing is that touchless NEVER cleans as good as a proper wash, which is fine by me during winter months!
NO NO NO. Take a breather Alex - the OP has a cabriolet. Cabs are no nos for automatic washes of any ilk...
Old 11-18-2011, 03:13 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
NO NO NO. Take a breather Alex - the OP has a cabriolet. Cabs are no nos for automatic washes of any ilk...
Ahhh, totally missed that part.

Apologies to Dan, OP. I have NO IDEA if touchless water pressure is safe for cabriolet and whether or not water leaks inside.

All I can say is that touchless is fine for our paint, and Coupe models!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

We have a new car wash here in Fort Lauderdale, CACTUS, does a beautiful job on my X5, BUT I would NEVER put the 997 (cab) through...or for that matter any PORSCHE...
I haven't actually tracked the use, but it seems that they use clean towels on every car.
As far as the underside, there are some of the "wash it yourself" places around, I'd use the sprayer under the car every few weeks...
Over on the "West Side" in Manhattan you may be able to find a place where "the guys" open a hydrant and wash their cars IIRC...not legal, but it is done.
When I lived on Long Island, on the weekends a few of the NYC guys would come out to hose down their cars...go to P car events and make a few friends...
Old 11-18-2011, 09:11 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The biggest issue with a Cab is that the top should not be washed with soap, on a regular basis. The soap residue attracts more dirt and breaks down the top's fibers. You should only wash the top with soap prior to a treatment with Ragg Topp, for example.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wash.

Every car wash, even most of them by hand, use VERY strong soap that will take any wax off and go down to original paint. I owned a hand car wash for a long time and never bought the expensive soap.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:54 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default car washes...not!

Virtually all commercial car washes re-cycle some portion of their "used" water in an effort to keep their operating costs down; not a good thing. My recommendation...continue to get it occasionally hand washed. Then in the Spring, get underside and fender wells power sprayed/flushed, and you should be OK.

relinuca
Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by relinuca
Virtually all commercial car washes re-cycle some portion of their "used" water in an effort to keep their operating costs down; not a good thing. My recommendation...continue to get it occasionally hand washed. Then in the Spring, get underside and fender wells power sprayed/flushed, and you should be OK.

relinuca
The reason you should not use any soap (including any car wash) is that it will remove the protective coating on the cabriolet top. That's why there are products such as Raggtopp treatment. I have actually washed my car by hand in the dead of winter using warm water in the bucket and rubber gloves but then brought into the garage to wipe it down and let it dry. I've only done that twice since I'll only drive it in the winter when roads are clean and dry so it really doesn't get dirty. Of course, having silver cars helps a lot.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

Actually, the detailer I've been going to uses a power washer for wheels as for the car... and they detail Bugatti and McL
So, to respond to OP, I've used the touchless car wash many times over the winters and have absolutely seen NO ill typical car washes. The only thing is that touchless NEVER cleans as good as a proper wash, which is fine by me during winter months!
Who is your detailer? Pearl?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:05 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by onetrickpony
You will get swirls on a black car, especially from when they dry your car coming out of the carwash - those dry towels are rarely clean.
...or have just been dropped on the ground and picked up a few little sharp scratchy stones......or were used to dry the wheels of the last car out and now have sharp scratchy brake dust all over them.....

Seriously...911s and automatic Car wash just shouldn't come together IMHO.

Quick Reply: Touchless carwash safe for cabriolet?