Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peace at Last........dash rattle solved!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:57 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Peace at Last........dash rattle solved!

I have had the most annoying rattle that sounded like it was coming from the passenger side of the dash around the airbag, speaker,vent area. It could be clearly heard when going over rough pavement and sounded like a plastic on metal vibration. Rattles drive me nuts, and no matter how hard I try, I can't tune them out. I set out determined to solve it one way or another. First I had a friend drive while I sat in the passenger seat to make sure I could locate the region the sound was coming from. (I was convinced it was the passenger area of the dash and sitting in the passenger seat reaffirmed my conviction.) Next I read every rattle thread on Rennlist (quite a few here by the way). Once you read the threads, you realize that the rattles can come from anywhere and everywhere and also sound like they're someplace they're not. OK, I said to myself, grab a beer, and let's go for the process of elimination method by slowly taking things apart and out of the car. First up was the cup holder. Two annoyingly painstaking allen bolts and it slid right out. Went for a drive around the block...........still there. Crap! I was going to dismantle and remove the glove box next, but recalled a thread in which Edgy had mentioned that he once had a rattle years ago that turned out to be a hard line of some sort that came loose from its bracket behind the wheel well liner. Since I wasn't in the mood to tackle the glove box, I thought I might as well remove the front wheel and liner to see if by chance anything was loose. Lo and behold, an aluminum tube (must be associated with the A/C or engine coolant) had a retaining bracket that had come off its mounting position. I had a glimmer of hope and called my wife to jiggle the line while I leaned inside the car to see if it sounded at all like the rattle. Bingo! Mounted it back in position, put everything back together and test drove..........problem solved................Nirvana at last.
Below are a few photos of the line and bracket. The first photo just shows the location of the line. The next two show the bracket out of position and I then show the bracket clipped back in place. (Also the last one shows some gravel in and around my suspension from my "off road" excursion when the rear end stepped out last year.) In case anyone else has an annoying "dash" rattle that cant be solved, this may be worth looking at. Thanks Edgy!

Last edited by 997at; 05-23-2015 at 03:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JEHolloway (05-24-2020)
Old 11-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Isn't that annoying! Glad that was all it was. You have a good memory.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I have a creaking sound in the driver's side of my cab that sounds like it emanates from very close to the top dash area next to the A pillar. I've removed A pillar cover as well as trim at back of dash by windshield, but noise persists. Dealer listened to it and didn't know what it might be. They said they could spend time to look for the cause, and if they find the cause and it doesn't appear to be related to my modified suspension (Damptronics), the warranty will cover it. If deemed to be a result of my modified suspension, I pay for it. It sounds like a plastic panels creaking against another panel.

Question: Is there a similar bracket on the driver's side that could be causing this? Since mine isn't a rattle, I suspect it is not the bracket, but just wondering if I should check before taking to dealer this week.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Very interesting. Thanks for this. I have a dash rattle that is amping me up (grrrr...) and it's time to take action. And thanks Edgy! Quick question - driver's or passenger's side?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Passenger's side was my problem.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 AM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Thanks for sharing. I have a creaking sound in the driver's side of my cab that sounds like it emanates from very close to the top dash area next to the A pillar. I've removed A pillar cover as well as trim at back of dash by windshield, but noise persists. Dealer listened to it and didn't know what it might be. They said they could spend time to look for the cause, and if they find the cause and it doesn't appear to be related to my modified suspension (Damptronics), the warranty will cover it. If deemed to be a result of my modified suspension, I pay for it. It sounds like a plastic panels creaking against another panel.

Question: Is there a similar bracket on the driver's side that could be causing this? Since mine isn't a rattle, I suspect it is not the bracket, but just wondering if I should check before taking to dealer this week.
I'm not sure if the driver's side has a similar bracket or not, but based on the description of your noise (creaking) it is unlikely that this is what it is. Just based on your description I would check the torx bolt that sits just underneath the headliner where the "B" pillar zone is on the cab top. Also, th instrument cluster is known to creak due to tight tolerances...Porsche actually issued a TSB for this so I would have them check this out.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:27 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

There is also a possibility that you have a rattle behind the glove box. I found this article on Planet-9
http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/misc...nt-2fdash.html
Old 11-14-2011, 01:43 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Mine was the seatbelt rattling against the seat hard back - DOH!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Kingtim021
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read forums all the time to help guide me when I have issues. This is one of the first times I am actually posting. I must say I LOVE you guys!!!!!! Everyone who takes the time to post on here is amazing!! I had this same exact problem. I have a 2002 C4S and it is soo embarrassing driving around with passengers while this rattle is going down.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Ron Adair
Racer

Sounds like... U2 Rattle & Hum.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:09 PM
cafedupont
2nd Gear

I cant see photos ... can you send them?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 PM
cafedupont
2nd Gear

photos?
Old 11-02-2020, 03:40 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 84 Posts

Bump for photos. I think mine has developed the same problem.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:40 AM
VERUS
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuse cover gadgets

Originally Posted by KeninBlaine

There’s a fuse box that is accessible by opening the drivers door. Remove the fuse cover and notice there is an Allen wrench and a few other tools attached to the back of the cover. Stupid idea Porsche. They rattle.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:48 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VERUS
There’s a fuse box that is accessible by opening the drivers door. Remove the fuse cover and notice there is an Allen wrench and a few other tools attached to the back of the cover. Stupid idea Porsche. They rattle.
My post was 12 years ago, and I sold the car 9 years ago. Not sure how this thread got resurrected.

Quick Reply: Peace at Last........dash rattle solved!