Sponsored by:

Service bulletin question-FRUSTRATED

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Service bulletin question-FRUSTRATED

Hi guys. Would love to get some opinions from P drivers more more tech savvy than I. Evidently there is a service bulletin for my car (05 C2S) to re-program when the engine fan goes on. I have never had any problems with mine overheating-hot drives through the mtns, summer mths etc. Finally I can take two weekdays off of work to drive 80 miles to my auth dlr. The job is supposed to take 30 minutes while I wait. I get there and an hr later they tell me my car is 'one of a few requiring a fuse pack' which they don't have and needs to be ordered. My question is, does this really have to be done? I am getting more and more hesitant as I get older about 'prophylactic' repairs on cars that aren't broke. I did get a complimentary wash right before our first storm of the season rolls in, oh and I took some pictures of the 991's which I'll try to post on the other site. Thanks.
Jim
Old 11-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Poly
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Bulletin: Engine Fan

How did you get notified that your car had a service bulletin?
Does this also apply to 2007 C2?
Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 163 Posts

I think I was calling in about something else and the computer tagged when the service writer pulled up the VIN. It was only after I called that I got the official notice(from the dealership) in the mail
J
Old 11-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what a fuse pack has to do with a software re-program! In my 35+ years of automotive experience I have come to really despise most dealer mechanics. As an Aero Engineer I typically know more about the cars systems than the mechanic and I know I am more particular about doing maintenance and repairs with meticulous detail. I deal mostly with aviation configuration changes but in most cases a software patch is based on enough samples to warrant an across the board change but not all units updated will need the change. It is as you stated a 'prophylactic' repair and even though your car may not be experiencing an issue, it may be only because you haven't met the right parameters to cause an issue. I would have it done as a safety measure but I would ask the service manager to explain exactly how the fuse pack is involved in the update.
R/Tom
Old 11-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Bum
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the old service bulletin that was discussed a while back here on the board.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rvice+bulletin

I had this done to my 06 when I was in for some other items a while back. Same for me, no notice was sent but when speaking to my advisor he pulled up the information and saw it in the computer. I assume thats SOP for the dealers.

Quick Reply: Service bulletin question-FRUSTRATED