Sponsored by:

I'm ready for the track but is my GTS??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:05 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Whether it's for the first few hundred or the first couple of thousand, I agree completely that what you suggest is critical to a proper beak in. I did exactly that, but avoided full throttle and high revs for the first 1K. For the next 1K I began to gradually increase revs and use more throttle. I did my first autoX at 2100 miles. I will admit I cheated on this regimen a few times as I took delivery in Europe and there was driving on the Autobahn involved.

I wouldn't track at 500 miles, but I'm conservative. BTW, my S uses no oil either.
I got a new engine in my 997 due to IMS issues. The manager of the dealership, the master mechanic at the dealer and a well respected racing indy I take my cars to all told me the same thing when I asked at different times:

vary the revs for the first 400 miles and then go for it.

All agreed that I should not keep the revs constant for any period of time during the initial period.

I did what they said and now have about 30 track days on the car with no issues so.

Each person must listen to what they are told and decide for themselves.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

That's a lot of speculation to build an argument on. Another way of looking at it is that if running the car hard right out of the box is so good for the engine, why would Porsche recommend a detrimental extended break in period that could compromise longevity and result in more warranty claims down the road? Just asking.....
Well, it's not a a very good argument but not nearly as outlandish as the one I made trying to get funding for some research based on Box Turtles being markers for global warming (like the whole warranty thing, Sigma Xi didn't buy that one either) - sometimes you bite the bear and sometimes the bear bites you!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Jeez, another HOT TOPIC that will be debated to death!

Whether or not the break-in period is Porsche legal covering for themselves, or actually helps with engine break-in and adds to long-term reliability can possibly be debated.

However, I see NO HARM of taking it easy for 2K miles and not tracking it, JUST IN CASE Mike/Porsche is right! Why risk it? It's pretty simple, really!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabeproracer
Back to the GTS, I'm going to wait until at least 3000 miles, patience is a virtue that I'm obviously still developing. Luckily I have a friend that wants me to help instruct him at a DE and he has a Cayman R that is fully "broken in" that we can have some fun with.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Wise decision!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:37 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Hopefully it's not the same super-knowledgeable dealer who told the OP that engines were broken in at the factory by being cold tested for a few minutes on a test stand.
You're right - he should instead rely on internet wisdom which requires you have a keyboard AND an internet connection to dispense it. TOTALLY more reliable.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
You're right - he should instead rely on internet wisdom which requires you have a keyboard AND an internet connection to dispense it. TOTALLY more reliable.
Nah, not internet wisdom......the owner's manual. That's why cars come with 'em.

Quick Reply: I'm ready for the track but is my GTS??