Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Boston area.......many Porschephiles out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Try that commute during rush hour. Trust me, you will have a commute. During rush hour, 3A becomes a parking lot.

During the summer months everyone uses 3A to get to the Cape.

When buying real estate, remember that a flat driveway is navigable in winter. A sloped one essentially is impassable.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
Guys,

We just spent 2 days checking out most of the possibilities as far as tows/hoods go. A lot to like , but we fell in love with Hingham and Cohasset, so we'll probably focus our search there. I realize the commute into Boston will be a little longer, but based on how much we loved the look and feel of these two towns, it's worth it to me. Does anyone currently commute to Boston from these towns?
If you're thinking of driving the commute, OUCH!! Traffic is awful. Route 3 would be your first hurdle and that's pretty bad, unless you commute very early. Then you'd hit the SE Distressway, I mean SE Expressway which is even worse.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Hingham and Cohasset are beautiful and would be the two places we would choose if we were staying in this area. Hingham probably has the better school system based upon what I have heard so it may be worth focusing in that area.

As far as the commute goes, I have commuted from Hanover into Boston during rush hour and from exit 13 you can expect about a 1 - 1.5 hr commute depending on weather and time of the year. Since Hingham is only a couple of exits up I wouldn't expect to much of an improvement.

In the Summer Friday nights driving back from Boston on 3 South is a nightmare. 3 South gets backed up with the tourists every Friday (after 2 PM) going south bound and every Sunday for most of the day going north bound. It's best to stay away during those times. Can you work from home part of those days?

You might also look at how long it takes to take the Commuter Rail from Hingham into Boston. MBTA is very helpful if you call them and can recommend which trains to take to get to your destination.

Good luck with the move and relocation.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:05 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I know the area well

OK here goes.... First off you picked a great area. I grew up in the town next door so vary familiar with Hingham... Hingham is very nice and makes week end trips easy to the cape (off hours as no ride to the cape is easy in the summer, that's why I recommend Newport RI over the cape anyday) and other areas....as far as the ride into Boston if you can be on the road at 6:30am at the latest you should breeze right in...40 min or so...after that you will get crushed. Rush hour time look at 1.5+ hrs...at least. Same for the ride home... roll out of Boston by 3:30 and your safe otherwise work till 7.... again will be ugly ride home if during main hours...

Now that said, there is a great ferry right into Boston from Hingham Marina on 3A.... many use it year round and its a commuting ferry. 45 Min each way, can buy a pass to keep costs down.... work, read, look at the water, snooze etc... if that doesn't work the new commuter train was just installed a few years back, goes right into Boston and its a nice train (not a subway...)

They just put a TON of money into the Hingham shipyard and built luxo condos, tons of shops, movie theatre, high end restaurants etc... Hingham has a quaint old town center, some nice shopping hubs like Derby Street, nice schools, great community, decent bars/restaurants and is a quintessential New England town... one the the towns people strive to move to end up someday if they choose to stay in Ma area south shore...

The commute can be dealt with if your willing not to drive or have some flex hours... and the schools are great for kids. Close to beaches and other....You made a Great choice...

Quick Reply: Moving to Boston area.......many Porschephiles out there?