Sponsored by:

Fidelity Road Hazard Tire and Wheel Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 AM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fidelity Road Hazard Tire and Wheel Coverage

After hitting some debris on the freeway, I found out that my left front wheel has a large flat spot on the inside of the wheel.
Interesting thing is the tire never blew.

Then I remember that I was one of those who fell for the Tire and Wheel Road Hazard coverage from the dealer I purchased the car.

I called them the other day to file a claim and was told that unless the tire was damaged they dont cover the damaged wheel. WTF kind of crap is that. I admit its odd that the tire didn't blow with such extensive damage to the wheel but what a scam.

I will be calling the dealer today because I know for certain that was not how it was presented by the finance person.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:21 AM
e121c_991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMetrx
After hitting some debris on the freeway, I found out that my left front wheel has a large flat spot on the inside of the wheel.
Interesting thing is the tire never blew.

Then I remember that I was one of those who fell for the Tire and Wheel Road Hazard coverage from the dealer I purchased the car.

I called them the other day to file a claim and was told that unless the tire was damaged they dont cover the damaged wheel. WTF kind of crap is that. I admit its odd that the tire didn't blow with such extensive damage to the wheel but what a scam.

I will be calling the dealer today because I know for certain that was not how it was presented by the finance person.
That's why whenever they present that to me when Im about to sign papers, I always give them a big "HELL NO" even when my other family members are buying cars, I say it for them as well! true story!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no, thats complete BS. Its covered. call your sales guy and the GM if needed.
BTW what did the inside of the TIRE look like?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Unfortunately, you are not covered. Ask me how I know!!!! Been down this road before.

Mark
Old 11-02-2011, 01:12 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tire was scuffed on the inside at the same location as the flat/bend wheel.

mjsporche--- Did you contact Fidelity ? When I spoke to them they explained that in some cases the dealer will include a clause that will included wheel replacement even if the tire is not damaged.

I still think this is all BS. Its not curb rash. The car is not drivable in that condition which in my opinion should fall under the coverage.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

That's why you have to read the fine print on these warranties. Maybe some of them will cover any type wheel damage, but my experience has been that many will only cover wheel damage if it is bad enough so that the tire won't hold air. So a bend or scrape will not be covered.

Of course the sales guy pushing this to you at the time of the sale tells you that everything is covered. He probably hasn't even read the policy. Remember, in life the large print gives you things, and the small print takes them away!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

For those that have the policy and get a no response, you might ask them to refund the balance of the policy. Yeah it is refundable, prorated.

Good luck, hopefully you can get your dealer to help you out on this one.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never taken the tire/road hazard option on any of my extended warranties, so I don't have any experience with it. All of my extended warranties so far have paid for themselves and then some. I'm 6 months into a 6 year exclusionary warranty on my '05 and it's already paid me $1300 in two fairly minor repairs (a starter cable and the shifter cable). That said, I didn't get the Fidelity warranty my dealer was selling, for two reasons. One, there was a clause in it that said failures due to wear are only covered until 50K miles, and that struck me as a way-out for them to try denying just about anything up to and including engine and transmission failure. "That IMS bearing wore out, the car's got 51K, so, sorry dude you're SOL." The other reason was, it cost almost twice as much as the one I did buy.

If it were me I would push the issue. Be a squeaky (dented) wheel, and they might do something for you just to get you to shut up and go away. Lots of times companies try to give the brush-off, and for the majority of folks it works. For the minority who don't take it lying down, there' usually some "goodwill" forthcoming.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:07 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
I've never taken the tire/road hazard option on any of my extended warranties, so I don't have any experience with it. All of my extended warranties so far have paid for themselves and then some.
Consider yourself lucky. If everyone made money on the extended warranties like you have, the insurance companies would be out of business. There is a reason that sales people push extended warranties so hard, whether it is on a car, wheels and tires, appliances, etc. It is because the extended warranty is usually a very good deal for them and not so good for you.

But, do whatever makes you sleep better at night.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:20 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
I've never taken the tire/road hazard option on any of my extended warranties, so I don't have any experience with it. All of my extended warranties so far have paid for themselves and then some. I'm 6 months into a 6 year exclusionary warranty on my '05 and it's already paid me $1300 in two fairly minor repairs (a starter cable and the shifter cable). That said, I didn't get the Fidelity warranty my dealer was selling, for two reasons. One, there was a clause in it that said failures due to wear are only covered until 50K miles, and that struck me as a way-out for them to try denying just about anything up to and including engine and transmission failure. "That IMS bearing wore out, the car's got 51K, so, sorry dude you're SOL." The other reason was, it cost almost twice as much as the one I did buy.

If it were me I would push the issue. Be a squeaky (dented) wheel, and they might do something for you just to get you to shut up and go away. Lots of times companies try to give the brush-off, and for the majority of folks it works. For the minority who don't take it lying down, there' usually some "goodwill" forthcoming.
My problem with tire and wheel was with EasyCare, one of the better companies. The policy fine print says if the tire holds air, wheel damage not covered. I challenged it for sure. I asked if my wheel was dramatically wobbling , you would not replace it if the tire held air. My dealer said that if it was that bad, they would suggest I drive it behind the building and make sure it does not hold air. Hmmm. no thanks. I do not look good in stripes.

PM sent to Palmbeacher as to who you have as to your extended warranty company.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fidelity Road Hazard Tire and Wheel Coverage