cel intake camshaft adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
haivle
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cel intake camshaft adjuster

hi i got a cel today, and read the code with durametric too it read fault code
p0021 intake camshaft adjuster bank 2. i was wondering what is that? is it serious?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by haivle
hi i got a cel today, and read the code with durametric too it read fault code
p0021 intake camshaft adjuster bank 2. i was wondering what is that? is it serious?
Are you sure the Durametric tool is 997.1 (or 997.2 I do not know which 997 you have) compatible?

If the error code and its text is correct, the error code has to be taken seriously.

In other models a similar error code can arise from a short to ground. For safety reasons the engine's timing is retarded so the engine will still run but it probably won't run as well as it would otherwise.

There are a few tests that can be done but they involve testing the wiring harness and DME for shorts. Anytime one gets around the wiring and the DME he risks static discharge which if it occurs is damaging to the DME.

My advice is to take the car to a qualified shop with the proper diagnostics tools and knowhow and have this looked into.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 PM
haivle
Banned

well the cel came on a week ago then it went away after a day, then today it came back on.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM
haivle
Banned

also i brought my car to the dealer a 2 weeks ago when the cel wasnt on and they say that everything is running fine. and this exact same cel came on a while back thats why i brought it to the dealer but by the time i brought it to the dealer cel was off
Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by haivle
also i brought my car to the dealer a 2 weeks ago when the cel wasnt on and they say that everything is running fine. and this exact same cel came on a while back thats why i brought it to the dealer but by the time i brought it to the dealer cel was off
An on again off again CEL with that error code is not normal behavior.

Check the owners manual. IIRC there is something in there that says if the CEL comes on to take the car to your local dealer.

A bit extreme but the next time the CEL comes on stop the car and shut off the engine and have the car flat bedded to the dealer using Porsche road side assistance.

It would help if you can learn what kind of driving brings this error code up and engage in that at a convenient time for you.

Get the car into the dealer with the CEL on and get the car into the service department officially so you end up with paperwork to show that you have had the car in for this problem.

The CEL comes on because there is a problem. It may not be a hard fault with the hardware the error code points to, it may be a soft fault because a threshold in the DME firmware (software) is set to low or too high and this causes the error to be falsely flagged.

Regardless, speak to the dealer, the service manager or even the general manager and stress that with this on again/off again CEL you have lost all enjoyment of driving the car and regardless of the reason the CEL comes on you want the reason found and addressed to your satisfaction.

Remind the dealer that it is an offical Porsche dealer and represented itself as being able to service these cars. If the dealer then turns about and claims it is stumped by this behavior or unable or unwilling to deal with it properly, then you were misled regarding the dealer's capabilities and it was these capabilities that played a major role in your decision to buy this car and from this dealer (if in fact you bought the car from this dealer).

Ask the dealer then if it can't help you where you should take the car for the quality of service you were led to believe you would get at this dealer?

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: cel intake camshaft adjuster