Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard is it to get the carrara white color for repainting hood and bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Default how hard is it to get the carrara white color for repainting hood and bumper

we know that there are certain colors that are easy to copy and those that are hard. metttalics are part of the hard colors to repair, imho. ive seen good paint blenders try their hardest to get a certain mettalic color and still not get it perfectly. My car is carrara white and we all know that with our cars paint chips, scars are normal for the bumpers and hood. how easy is the color to copy?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Very easy to a reasonable paint shop. But, keep in mind that you will damage the paint again if you drive the car. Avoid disturbing factory paint if you absolutely can avoid it.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have carrara white and am considering repainting the front bumper. I will leave the hood alone. My dealer says it no problem and i plan on wrapping it if i decide to do it. Im still thinking
Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

there are at least a dozen paint manufacturers commonly used by body shops all over america. the colors may vary as the formula that particular shop uses. But for all practical reasons, you wont be able to tell it was painted. use a good hi end body shop that porsche recomends and get a guarantee that it will match to your satisfaction before they start
Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
we know that there are certain colors that are easy to copy and those that are hard. metttalics are part of the hard colors to repair, imho. ive seen good paint blenders try their hardest to get a certain mettalic color and still not get it perfectly. My car is carrara white and we all know that with our cars paint chips, scars are normal for the bumpers and hood. how easy is the color to copy?
My wag is the color is not hard to match. There are only 3 approved paints and paint systems for Porsches: Standox, Spies-Hecker, and Glasurit.

If the body/paint shop you choose to do the work is a Porsche Approved Collision Center it will have at least one of these paints and paint systems present and can match the paint.

Some 'colors' are harder to match than others. The worst I believe is arctic silver. My body shop expert tells me the paint has no color base the color coming from the metal flake in the paint. The flake size, shape, and orientation is what produces the color. The size and shape of the flake is controlled by the paint maker. The orientation of the flakes is controlled by the painter and his equipment and technique.

Even so to really get a good blending of paint adjacent body panels are sprayed.

For instance if the front bumper cover is painted the hood and both fenders will need to be (should be) resprayed back a ways so the jump from the bumper cover to the adjacent body panels is not obvious.

In fact when done 'right' it is nearly impossible to tell the panels have been painted.

The only clue can be the repainted surfaces do not have as much orange peel as the factory paint surfaces often have and if the shop is not real **** the paint thickness if someone bothers to check it will give the secret away.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

thanks guys, bumper is getting beat up already. there is always a casualty whenever i drive it. hood is also getting its share of battle scars. i have a good can of paint that matches the color quite well and am using this to hide the nicks. im just thinking if this goes on i will need a repaint before year 5 of ownership comes..im coming on second year.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:32 PM
socalbusdev
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's Carrara White, and I just had a couple of small chips filled and clear bra/wrapped the front, partial fenders, whole hood, headlights, mirrors and trailing edge of wheels. Never again--I hope. When I bought it from the dealer (used '08) there was a big chip on the front, so the fixed that, filled the screw holes for the license plate and resprayed. You would never tell the difference. White is VERY forgiving.

I say fill the chips and wrap it. Respraying multiple panels gets very costly when done right.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

i agree. i also agree with dan that keping the original paint is the best you can do for the car. however, for me the bra is a hohum option. the feel and the quality of the original paint is something to savor yourself not for someone else. lets face it the car is a beauty to use and sometimes abuse. and to keep. lets see maybe i will still end up with a bra

Quick Reply: how hard is it to get the carrara white color for repainting hood and bumper