Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Dr. Strange
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New California Booster Seat Law

Check it out:

http://www.mercurynews.com/californi...nclick_check=1

Typical liberal democratic move. Maybe there should be a law against driving all together...it's dangerous. Anyway...looks like the Recaro Vivo works well with 997.1 cars.

I wonder which politicians are getting campaign dollars from Britax, Graco and the like.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Don't you love how the bureaucrats know what's best for us all--but they have no idea about managing a BUDGET!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:55 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr. Strange
Check it out:

http://www.mercurynews.com/californi...nclick_check=1

Typical liberal democratic move. Maybe there should be a law against driving all together...it's dangerous. Anyway...looks like the Recaro Vivo works well with 997.1 cars.

I wonder which politicians are getting campaign dollars from Britax, Graco and the like.
Not that this has anything to do with the 997 but let's indulge your weak political rant for what it is.

It's a perfectly reasonable move. Children sometimes need protection from poor parent who, absent regulation like this, might leave them vulnerable. Regulation alone won't make a poor parent a model of parenting virtue, but it does provide a framework for those who choose not to protect their kids to be dealt with. This law simply extends the requirement for a booster seat by a couple of years. It is more likely than not that a child aged 8 and under will be better protected by their seatbelt if they are in a booster seat.

The law requiring seat belts is generally accepted to have resulted in fewer fatalities. A law requiring younger kids being in booster seats a year or two longer is likely to do the same.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:58 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My son is 6 1/2 and I continue to keep him in his booster in the back of the TT and think that is best. My wife has him on the regular car seat now in the back of her Cayenne S, but honestly I think he needs to grow some more before that's the best idea. I can't stand a lot of the busybody nonsense that is legislated, but I can't get too excited about this new safety reg as it seems to make sense.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:13 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

relevant TED talk from Steven Levitt

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levi..._carseats.html
Old 10-22-2011, 05:05 AM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Not that this has anything to do with the 997 but let's indulge your weak political rant for what it is.

It's a perfectly reasonable move. Children sometimes need protection from poor parent who, absent regulation like this, might leave them vulnerable. Regulation alone won't make a poor parent a model of parenting virtue, but it does provide a framework for those who choose not to protect their kids to be dealt with. This law simply extends the requirement for a booster seat by a couple of years. It is more likely than not that a child aged 8 and under will be better protected by their seatbelt if they are in a booster seat.

The law requiring seat belts is generally accepted to have resulted in fewer fatalities. A law requiring younger kids being in booster seats a year or two longer is likely to do the same.
There are alot of laws that could be made which would save lives. This still does not lead one to the conclusion that the government should micromanage everything which we do in or out of our cars. Our country was founded with a spirit of individual freedom and responsibility. Lib-dems (led by the northerners in our state) are promoting a nanny state. It's just a foundational difference in what we believe. Lib-dems are happy with the government deciding what is best for us in our daily lives and then enforcing it as law.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:22 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

We had the same law here for a cpl of yrs. Its very hard to enforce and pretty much is ignored. I guess only case it could become an issue is when someone gets into an accident woth their child without seat booster.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
There are alot of laws that could be made which would save lives. This still does not lead one to the conclusion that the government should micromanage everything which we do in or out of our cars. Our country was founded with a spirit of individual freedom and responsibility. Lib-dems (led by the northerners in our state) are promoting a nanny state. It's just a foundational difference in what we believe. Lib-dems are happy with the government deciding what is best for us in our daily lives and then enforcing it as law.
The keyword is bolded. It's now a nanny state.

OTOH school buses continue to be fragile tin cans with kids riding on bad seats without any strapping. Go figure!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Dr. Strange
Advanced

Default Sigh...

I will grant you everything you said above...except the part about poor parenting...there is a lot more to parenting than the the seat I choose for my child.

Let me ask you this question...should the California legislature mandate 5 point harnesses and helmets for all adult drivers?? It would be a lot safer. Please answer using the logic that supports your answer. Your logic above says, "It's safer..therefore it should be legislated."

My point is, where does this line of reasoning end?
Old 10-22-2011, 05:57 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr. Strange
I will grant you everything you said above...except the part about poor parenting...there is a lot more to parenting than the the seat I choose for my child.

Let me ask you this question...should the California legislature mandate 5 point harnesses and helmets for all adult drivers?? It would be a lot safer. Please answer using the logic that supports your answer. Your logic above says, "It's safer..therefore it should be legislated."

My point is, where does this line of reasoning end?
Not really. My points are that not all regulation is bad, and that while the "nanny state" isn't necessarily in the best interests of informed adults, it sometimes has to act in the best interests of those who can't protect themselves. If you feel safer in a 5-point harness, you can go right ahead and fit one. The point is that sometimes the law has to think for those who might otherwise go unprotected.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

... The point is that sometimes the law has to think for those who might otherwise go unprotected.

But... that seems to go against Darwin.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:31 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
But... that seems to go against Darwin.
We're talking about children here... I'm all for Darwin doing his thing with adults, I'm equally in favor of taking reasonable steps to help protect children. It isn't Darwinism at work when a child dies because some ******* parent didn't take proper precautions with their child's wellbeing.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:34 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Ahh yes, the "think of the children" mantra. Stupid breeds stupid, but I do agree to a point. Now if there was a way to prevent idiots from breeding, we wouldn't need this sort of stuff. Then again, what would the lawmakers do with their time. Now they just seem to find new laws to justify their existence.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

We're talking about children here... I'm all for Darwin doing his thing with adults, I'm equally in favor of taking reasonable steps to help protect children. It isn't Darwinism at work when a child dies because some ******* parent didn't take proper precautions with their child's wellbeing.
I guess you are right, when some 'parents' make satements like this quote from the OP's link:

[Quote:] And parents say having a law behind them helps. "A lot of time, kids don't want to do the things you tell them," said Wong, who lives in Willow Glen and works at Santa Clara University. "But it makes it easier when I can say: 'It's the law. Do you want mommy to go to jail?' " [End Quote].

These are not parents. They are 'nanny state' subjects.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Dr. Strange
Advanced

If you feel safer in a 5-point harness, you can go right ahead and fit one. The point is that sometimes the law has to think for those who might otherwise go unprotected.
Wow...fundamentally different political philosophy. I suggest a truce...and a long drive in our respective Carreras.

I am going to buy a Recaro Vivo seat for my car, by the way. I guess that means I am not an a**hole...thank goodness for that.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: New California Booster Seat Law