Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys should join the OWS movement.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
I don't think that the average Porsche driver is in the same financial class as the average Bentley driver. Not even close.
Really? Is that based on some empirical stats or just your gut?

In my profession I have seen those that live in 2 million dollar homes furnished with orange crates and those that live in VERY modest houses that could likely buy and sell many of us here over and over.

Anyway I wouldn't trade my GTS for a Bentley GT anyway. No way. Well...maybe if I could sell it and buy two GTS's.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default hmmmm....

In general and on average some of you truly believe Porsche owners are at the same $ earnings as Bentley owners? Take 100 random Porsche owners weed out the top 10 and bottom 10 earners.... do the same with 100 Bentley Owners and can almost guarantee there will be a GIANT gap between the wealth between the two groups. I am in NO way saying $ means anything, not my point... but on average the comment about The Bentley owner having a deeper man purse is fairly accurate.

That said, I tracked a Bentley GT SuperSport and let me tell you that car is an absolute BEAST. I enjoy my Porsche but will never find me hating a new style Bentley, great cars IMO...

A 997 GTS vs Bentley GT SS.... Not even close in my books. I know you say you would never trade but get behind the wheel of one and may feel differently.
Attached Images     
Old 10-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

I question not the fact that the Bentley GT SS is a great car. Not for me though.

I love Porsche. But..you are right that one should try before they judge. However, I have no interest in the Bentley. Too ostentacious for my tastes. But that's me.

Wonder what the Ring times are for the Bentley GT compared to a Carrera? What are the differences in performance?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 PM
boolala
Race Car

For the most part us Porsche owners are part of the 99%ers. At least from the standpoint of income. The Bentley owners are the 1%ers.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:02 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I understand

I understand your point and respect your view. The ironic thing is most people on the road (the world population) would see a Porsche (small, 2 door sports car, lower stance, more sporty looking to the average person) as the more showy car. My wife can instantly spot a P car, but when a Bentley rolls by and I say, "nice car" she says "where?".... when I point out the car and say that car costs nearky 300K new she laughs and says" it doesn't look it".... Just noting that on looks alone on the street a porsche may stand out more in the crowd to most people pver a modern day Bentley...

as far as laptimes I am not sure...but can tell you the car pulls like a freight train...from a stand still a rocket and when already up and going the speed is just awesome...stopping power was also great for such a heavy car... the ceramic discs were massive and calipers looked like giant porter house steaks...

amazing what that car can do..... and the interior is on a whole other level.

Originally Posted by Waxer
I question not the fact that the Bentley GT SS is a great car. Not for me though.

I love Porsche. But..you are right that one should try before they judge. However, I have no interest in the Bentley. Too ostentacious for my tastes. But that's me.

Wonder what the Ring times are for the Bentley GT compared to a Carrera? What are the differences in performance?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Hey Mander,

I have seen that white Bentley around town. It's a good looking car. I didn't realize we had a professional sports team / rap studio in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Haven't seen the yellow Ferrari, although I did see a red one.

Most importantly, I haven't seen the 997.2 TT yet. My eyes will definitely be pealed for that one.
You should start spending more time in my neighborhood . Yellow, red and blue Ferraris and a yellow Maserati. I see the TT quite frequently. Even saw it at the HyVee on Old Cheney the other day.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Where is the OP in all this? I think he must have been trolling. How can a Porsche owner or any car enthusiast, not know what Bentlys are worth?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

In my experience 911's get challenged by every conceivable badge on the road (including all other porsche models) I take it as a compliment when an Aston Martin costing 3times my modest c2 tries to prod me into a rally on city streets but it does get old and I seldom take the bait. Boxter s drivers seem to have more unwarranted envy than others.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:55 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,568 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

On some long road trips in WA, OR, I actually had a few smaller sports car to hang with, and a few times they tried to see how fast I am and usually gave me a nice thumbs up and appreciated the car!

Bentley owners are just NOT CAR GUYS, they want the luxury/comfort, it's a great luxury car and actually fast... but 911 owners appreciate the car, handling, noise, etc... not the grade of leather use on the seats (at least until 991 ).
You know, some people actually own both. They're very different cars but that doesn't mean you have to pick battle lines. I'm not big on bentleys personally but I respect them for what they are. My father owns a continental GT and a 911 turbo. And a few other cars as well. Just like I own a 911 and an M3 and many of our forum members have mutliple cars from different brands.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:16 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
You know, some people actually own both. They're very different cars but that doesn't mean you have to pick battle lines. I'm not big on bentleys personally but I respect them for what they are. My father owns a continental GT and a 911 turbo. And a few other cars as well. Just like I own a 911 and an M3 and many of our forum members have mutliple cars from different brands.
This is very well put and very true.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:02 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
Rudy: Will your father adopt me? I'm housebroken!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:26 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Where is the OP in all this? I think he must have been trolling. How can a Porsche owner or any car enthusiast, not know what Bentlys are worth?
Believe me I know what Bentleys go for, I see several every year at a show I go to in Vermont, and the cars are beasts. This all just started out with a humorous observation of strange driving conduct given the Marque of the car.

Here's a couple pics of older examples - enjoy
Name:  Stowe0307.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  150.4 KB

Name:  Stowe0308.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  Stowe0326.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  148.8 KB

Last edited by sullivas; 10-21-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:13 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

I was referring to your "wealthy hater" comment in your first post. How can a Bently owner be a wealthy hater, if he is most likely to be wealthy to beign with! haha
Old 10-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
In my experience 911's get challenged by every conceivable badge on the road (including all other porsche models)
+1. It seems that a significant number of other drivers turn into Mr. Hyde as soon as they see my 911. It's weird. This reaction is less pronounced in the Cayenne and virtually non-existent in the A3, so I'm pretty sure it's not just my imagination.

Quick Reply: Attack of the Bentley