PSE Installed on 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default PSE Installed on 997.2

About a month ago I removed the center muffler from my 997.2 and installed the Sharkwerks by-pass pipes in its place. The exhaust sound was louder and deeper.

This week I ordered the PSE mufflers from Suncoast Porsche and had them shipped to my local dealer so they could install the PSE. I picked up the car Thursday afternoon. The sound of the PSE coupled with the Sharkwerks is a great combination, yielding an awesome sound. I do not have a sound clip but here are a few pics of the tail pipes.
Attached Images     
Old 10-15-2011, 08:27 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

congrats tim, seems like your building up your new 911 fast...mod bug bit you early huh. i thought that i wanted to go down that route but as the miles build i think i will hold off and enjoy the original version just a bit longer. really tempted though to do as you are doing...soon.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
About a month ago I removed the center muffler from my 997.2 and installed the Sharkwerks by-pass pipes in its place. The exhaust sound was louder and deeper.

This week I ordered the PSE mufflers from Suncoast Porsche and had them shipped to my local dealer so they could install the PSE. I picked up the car Thursday afternoon. The sound of the PSE coupled with the Sharkwerks is a great combination, yeilding an awesome sound. I do not have a sound clip but here are a few pics of the tail pipes.
When the dealer installs the PSE, do they also install the switch to toggle it OFF and ON or is it always ON?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:20 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick,

I told myself that whatever car I bought, if the car didn't have PSE, I would add PSE shortly after I got it. IMO, it is the best mod I could do.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

They install the switch. Since my car does not have Sport Chrono, I have the PSE switch with the tail pipe icon on it. Even if I had Sport Chrono, I would have had the separate PSE tail pipe icon switch installed.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Way to go Tim.. way to go It's pretty fun eh?

On a 6speed:

For those of you with a PDK here it is too:

Old 10-16-2011, 07:24 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Alex! I am glad I went PSE rather than aftermarket exhaust. This way it can be loud most of the time and quiet when my wife is in the car.

My wife still hasn't noticed that the PSE has been added, and consequently, hasn't asked "what did that cost?" Hovever, she did comment on Thursday (the day I had the PSE installed) that "This car smells different than the other one ('04 996) after you have driven it." My answer "Well, this one had fewer miles on it than the other one did, so the engine and the exhaust are still in the "burn in" process to get rid of the cosmoline." Then I had to explain what cosmoline is and what it does.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:56 AM
dwost
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim that is the exact setup I'm running except mine had PSE from the factory. The sound is just phenomenal. I'll post up some sound clips as well for the group.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:49 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Great setup... now just change those tips!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:37 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Alex,

It's funny you mention that. When I initially saw the "dog & bun" tips, I didn't really care for them. Over the last couple of years I have grown to like the 997.2 PSE tips. Just as the 997.1 "identifier" for PSE is a large and small dual tip on each side, the "sleeved tips" are indicative of PSE on the 997.2.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:24 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Alex,

It's funny you mention that. When I initially saw the "dog & bun" tips, I didn't really care for them. Over the last couple of years I have grown to like the 997.2 PSE tips. Just as the 997.1 "identifier" for PSE is a large and small dual tip on each side, the "sleeved tips" are indicative of PSE on the 997.2.
I know... definitely. BUT, doesn't the PSE tips remind you of *something*
Old 10-17-2011, 01:30 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tim, what is the comparison between the PSE + Sharkwerks and the Sharkwerks alone. I know you don't have a clip but is your new set up radically louder? Sound like a track car out of place in the city or just a sports car with some guts under the hood? John
Old 10-17-2011, 03:34 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dwost
Tim that is the exact setup I'm running except mine had PSE from the factory. The sound is just phenomenal. I'll post up some sound clips as well for the group.
Thanks dwost would love to see it and again glad you like it

Thanks Alex! I am glad I went PSE rather than aftermarket exhaust. This way it can be loud most of the time and quiet when my wife is in the car.

My wife still hasn't noticed that the PSE has been added, and consequently, hasn't asked "what did that cost?" Hovever, she did comment on Thursday (the day I had the PSE installed) that "This car smells different than the other one ('04 996) after you have driven it." My answer "Well, this one had fewer miles on it than the other one did, so the engine and the exhaust are still in the "burn in" process to get rid of the cosmoline." Then I had to explain what cosmoline is and what it does.
Hehe yep I like the button activation set up too Haha cosmoline gets a hard rap!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:05 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

tim i couldnt agree more with you. pse is it. everyone who does not have it may just be justifiying why they did not choose this due to cost. but i believe original is the only way to go. may be cost prohibitive but its the only one that actually helps the value of the car. thats my dream exhaust set up.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
Hey Tim, what is the comparison between the PSE + Sharkwerks and the Sharkwerks alone. I know you don't have a clip but is your new set up radically louder? Sound like a track car out of place in the city or just a sports car with some guts under the hood? John
John,

Using your terminology it sounds like "sports car with some guts under the hood."

The problem with trying to give you an exact description is that I hear the exhaust only from inside the car. My wife won't drive the car, so I haven't heard it from outside the car. So here is the best description I can give you.
  • The Sharkwerks pipes got the "Porsche sound" back by eliminating the center muffler.
  • In loud mode, the PSE plus the Sharkwerks pipes is 2 to 3 times beyond the Sharkwerks pipes by themselves.
However, I have listened to the PSE on/off in the garage to get an idea of how it sounds from outside the car. Based upon that, here is what my car sounds like with the PSE on and off.

Quick Reply: PSE Installed on 997.2