Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to replace my stock PASM suspension...what are the recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011 | 02:05 PM
boraiv333
Instructor

Smile Looking to replace my stock PASM suspension...what are the recommendations...

I want to go with a lowered suspension setup for my 911 w/PASM.

Could I go with a traditional coilover suspension without the electronic dampers? If yes, what is the recommended suspension setup on this board? Thanks in advance
Old 10-12-2011 | 02:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

basic recommendation is to think twice about it.

my gut feeling is that if you ask such a question then you do not have an actual need to 'replace' it. sounds a bit harsh but it is usually true statement. suspension is just such a thing that to alter it you kinda need to know up front what it is you expect to get in the end. why do you think you need to replace it? i mean, what is the goal you want to achieve? just to drop riding height all you need to do is to install any of available lowereing spring kits for stock PASM.
Old 10-12-2011 | 02:41 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
basic recommendation is to think twice about it.
Then if you still want to replace it, think a third time. I agree with everything Paul said and would add that the integration of PASM with the vehicle systems is pretty extensive. Modifying ride height is a reasonable mod and probably a frequent one, but going to non-active suspension is a major change. By 'major', I mean that an engineer like myself would pause for consideration a long time even with those specific goals in mind that Paul mentioned. The side effects would be numerous.

One of them may not matter to you, but should be mentioned. Removing PASM would be difficult to disguise from future buyers, limiting the potential market to the complacent, who ignore advice to conduct a PPI, or the ignorant but wealthy. Such buyers exist of course, but the smaller the market for anything the less it brings at sale. Among the rest of us, the value of a car down-modded in such a way would be reduced by at least ten percent and more likely twenty.

If you settle on particular goals, moving up technically is a more likely answer and won't hurt the value of the car.

Gary
Old 10-12-2011 | 02:45 PM
avader906
Instructor

probably then think even more..... anything you do to the springs/dampers, unless aimed at track work, will likely alter the balance away from comfort. there are plenty of posts describing the way PASM works and its compromises. for looks alone, the least costly alternative in the long run is to lower with springs - tradeoffs are also mentioned in few posts around. this is one topic that gets complicated and costly very very fast.

Last edited by avader906; 10-12-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2011 | 02:52 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Is converting to SPASM not a good alternative? That's what, 20mm lower?
Old 10-12-2011 | 03:02 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

it will be very expensive and usually no one would do it. only practical reason to replace shocks is to make car perform better on a track, by cost of sacrificing street drivability - car gets stiff, it rattles a lot with all those wonderful steel monoballs, but, well, it performs.

and it goes faster on a track but on a bumpy street it goes slower than stock car. original porscche engineers know their work pretty well. any 'mods' are usually done by people who (like me) do not have a budget to afford a proper dedicated track car and want to 'combine' some features of a track car (cup car or gt3 rs) with stock street car. a result of such transformation is usually not quite perfect but it is better than nothing.
Old 10-12-2011 | 04:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ralt12
Is converting to SPASM not a good alternative? That's what, 20mm lower?
Shocks, springs, and rear anti roll bar are different between PASM and SPASM. Also, while the difference between SPASM and the standard chassis is 20mm, between the PASM you already have and SPASM it's only 10mm. A very expensive proposition just to lower the car less than 1/2". I've been down the road you're considering (more than once) and unless you want to do this to run the car on track and not just for looks, my advice would be to stick with the stock set up. Maybe not what you want to hear, but my $.02.
Old 10-12-2011 | 05:01 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

it will be very expensive and usually no one would do it. only practical reason to replace shocks is to make car perform better on a track, by cost of sacrificing street drivability - car gets stiff, it rattles a lot with all those wonderful steel monoballs, but, well, it performs.

and it goes faster on a track but on a bumpy street it goes slower than stock car. original porscche engineers know their work pretty well. any 'mods' are usually done by people who (like me) do not have a budget to afford a proper dedicated track car and want to 'combine' some features of a track car (cup car or gt3 rs) with stock street car. a result of such transformation is usually not quite perfect but it is better than nothing.
utkinpol, I notice you have a C2 as do I. I don't track but would like a slightly lower ride height. If I just replaced stock coils with Techart and added stabilizer bars, would it significantly compromise ride comfort on the street? Thanks, John
Old 10-13-2011 | 02:06 AM
autopc
Intermediate

Maybe something like this?

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/c...-p-143669.html

http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/p...awe-pss10.html
Old 10-13-2011 | 08:31 AM
tcouture
Instructor

I put Eiback springs on my 997.2 C2S w/PASM. So far so good. I have seen many people at the track who have done the same and haven't heard of any issues in person.

But if you search these forums enough, you will find reports of blown dampers when changing springs. If it happens to me, it will just give me a reason to upgrade to damptronics or motons.

Hope this helps,

T.
Old 10-13-2011 | 10:21 AM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Get a set of the PSS10s as listed above (many suppliers) and you will be fine. Actually you will be MUCH happier. Car will handle better, ride smoother, etc.
Old 10-13-2011 | 10:42 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
utkinpol, I notice you have a C2 as do I. I don't track but would like a slightly lower ride height. If I just replaced stock coils with Techart and added stabilizer bars, would it significantly compromise ride comfort on the street? Thanks, John
stock shocks on C2 car are not bad at all. I really not sure why anybody wants to lower the car much - i guess you can do it with eibach springs kit. do not use h&r as those springs are told to collapse with time. techart is probably ok, i did not hear much about them, honestly eibach is a good brand, i would use it.
i do not know unfortunately what is the range for which our stock non-pasm shocks are set.
but i think something like this should work fine:
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/E...e-Springs.html

for stabilizer bars you mean GT3 sway bars - sure, it is goo dthing to do. it will not make car way more firm, just reduce body roll and improve handling. gt3 bars have 5 adjustment holes in front and 3 in rear - just put front bar to full soft (furthest hole) and rear bar to middle position and it will be fine imho, unless you will decide otherwise.

still, i have to say - my car is lowered, obviously, as it sits on coilovers and i do scrape it a lot in front. cannot put front lip due to that. i do not know why people who do not track it want to get it lower. it is a PITA. at least on MA roads it is a PITA, even the way it is, with no aero kit.
Old 10-13-2011 | 11:44 AM
boraiv333
Instructor

Thank you all or your valued input and suggestions to stay away from lowering the car.

I just don't appreciate the "esthetics" of the wheel to fender gap. And with the associated advantages of "better handling", the harsher ride is a bearable trade-off for me. Plus the fact that my 911 is not the primary driver and is taken out only on sunny days, I would like to improve the looks (my preference ofcourse).

So back on topic....2 options are apparent: go with factory SPASM suspension or how about Von Shocks new PASM equivalent system for our PASM from Elephant Racing? Anyone with experience on this manufacturer/distributor? Thank you!
Old 10-13-2011 | 11:48 AM
boraiv333
Instructor

Thank you for the links! Looks like I will be purchasing the Bilstein PSS10s

Old 10-14-2011 | 05:16 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

stock shocks on C2 car are not bad at all. I really not sure why anybody wants to lower the car much - i guess you can do it with eibach springs kit. do not use h&r as those springs are told to collapse with time. techart is probably ok, i did not hear much about them, honestly eibach is a good brand, i would use it.
i do not know unfortunately what is the range for which our stock non-pasm shocks are set.
but i think something like this should work fine:
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/E...e-Springs.html

for stabilizer bars you mean GT3 sway bars - sure, it is goo dthing to do. it will not make car way more firm, just reduce body roll and improve handling. gt3 bars have 5 adjustment holes in front and 3 in rear - just put front bar to full soft (furthest hole) and rear bar to middle position and it will be fine imho, unless you will decide otherwise.

still, i have to say - my car is lowered, obviously, as it sits on coilovers and i do scrape it a lot in front. cannot put front lip due to that. i do not know why people who do not track it want to get it lower. it is a PITA. at least on MA roads it is a PITA, even the way it is, with no aero kit.
Thank you. I have decide against lowering springs.... I already have trouble clearing the driveway. Will just live with the Cayenne ride height. I do think I will add GT3 sway bars. nice bang for the buck. John

Quick Reply: Looking to replace my stock PASM suspension...what are the recommendations...