Sponsored by:

Stain on cab top

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Stain on cab top

My cab top has developed a small black stain just above the driver's side edge. The dealer said it is from when the top is in stowed position, there is a cable under the headliner that rubs on the top. The cable is covered in a slightly sticky casing not unlike the old fabric-type electrical tape. So the stain is apparently not grease or oil (as it appears to be) but is a tacky glue-like consistency.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there a safe product for removing this stain? I'm tempted to use Goo Gone or something similar, but didn't want to take a chance with removing any of the color from my blue fabric top.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 02-29-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Call Larry Reynolds at carcareonline.com...he knows this stuff well.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-12-2011, 04:04 PM
RH512
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
My cab top has developed a small black stain just above the driver's side edge. The dealer said it is from when the top is in stowed position, there is a cable under the headliner that rubs on the top. The cable is covered in a slightly sticky casing not unlike the old fabric-type electrical tape. So the stain is apparently not grease or oil (as it appears to be) but is a tacky glue-like consistency.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there a safe product for removing this stain? I'm tempted to use Goo Gone or something similar, but didn't want to take a chance with removing any of the color from my blue fabric top.
Would be tempted to try a out of the way spot to test with

"3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, 08984
Specially blended solvent for removal of specialty adhesives.

Will not harm most thoroughly cured automotive paint, vinyls, or fabrics when properly used. Part number 08984 has a VOC content of 816 grams per liter (6.8 lbs per gallon). "
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl0WTXGVM2N5bl
Please let us know what you figure out.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have the same issue due to the top design--we all do.

What I have used rather successfully in the past is brake cleaner. However, you have to know what you are doing. I have a black canvas top--the most forgiving of all the top colors. I begin to lower the top and stop it in such a position that the black painted metal part (seen in your photo) is away from the fabric, and then I use the brake cleaner on a clean rag and slowly, and in a small way, work on removing that stuff. It works okay, but not completely.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I had that exact same thing on my black top. It was hard to see given the color of the top, but it was bugging me so eventually I used some solvent to remove it. It came off pretty easily. I am pretty sure I used goof off.

Quick Reply: Stain on cab top