My impressions on my 2011 GTS after 1 week of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My impressions on my 2011 GTS after 1 week of ownership

Hi Everyone,

Before I start, I wanted to again thank all the various Rennlisters that contributed and provided the much needed feedback from my previous posts.

As I originally really wanted a White/Black combination, I can honestly say that the Metallic Blue with Black Alcantra interior has really grown on me. I love the color matched wheels as well. As for driving impressions, this car does NOT feel fast at all, in fact the car is so well constructed that when you hit the uppers ends of double digit speeds you don't feel like you're going that fast, amazing. The car handles very well, really nice transition of weight transfer and body lean/roll very predictable. I see why so many people use it as a DD. I spent about 4 hours yesterday getting clear bra installed as I plan on keeping this car for a long time. I traditionally change cars at about the 3-4 year mark but I think I will hold on to her for quite some time. I will provide additional driving impressions as I drive it more.

I'm very OCD and detailed oriented, when the dealer delivered my car, I saw hard water spots all over the steering wheel and center console! arrrg. I'm going to need to clay bar it but overall I think the interior is well put together. I appreciate the touch screen display but its not very intuitive and it doesn't have HD radio? Another minor gripe, my car came with Homelink but not self dimmer mirrors and what's the deal with the SIM Card slot? But I digress it is a "sports" car. I just noticed the "Carrera" emblem is cracked! I thought it was made out of metal but its plastic along with the hood emblem.

I really wanted the GT3 RS but since I have a young family (and my son loves cars) I couldn't leave them out of the Porsche experience.

Anyhoo, I'm debating on whether to get the extended warranty, so any feedback would be great.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Wannabeproracer; 10-09-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Enjoy your pcar in good health; but, where are the pics?
Old 10-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, where are good pictures? Welcome to the Blue club. I joined reluctantly (because my daughter picks out the colors of my cars) and wouldn't go back.

The extended warranty is like any kind of insurance, depends on how risk averse you are. I don't think you have to decide in the next couple of days though. Wasn't there a thread on this topic recently?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Bravo. What he said... pics?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabeproracer
[...]
As for driving impressions, this car does NOT feel fast at all, in fact the car is so well constructed that when you hit the uppers ends of double digits speeds you don't feel like you're going that fast, amazing. The car handles very well, really nice transition of weight transfer and body lean/roll very predictable. I see why so many people use it as a DD.
[...]
Welcome to the p-car ranks!

I haven't hit the upper-end of double-digits even on track (165-185? That will take a really long straightaway), but I have to agree that the car suits the grand touring mold perfectly. At road speeds up to 110 or so, it feels planted in every good sense. Nothing to make driver or passenger feel like they're dancing with the Devil. I haven't been faster on roads. Even out here in the desert, this is California and our roads and drivers aren't autobahn conditioned.

But the amazing thing is the dual nature of the current Carrera. It took me two track days to find the limits when you drive it like a race car. Then a third one doing tire tests to be sure I was finding the car's balance. This is one seriously quick car, and the dynamic behavior is brilliant once you decide to trust it and explore those limits.

Congratulations again.

Gary
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Default Pics

I apologize in advance for my poor photography skills!

I will try to take better pictures next time.

here they are
Attached Images    
Old 10-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Default Adds

BTW Clear bra was installed last weekend, I'm going to order the mesh grill kit and the tow hook front license plate holder...
Old 10-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

It sounds like you bought it off the lot, right?

Otherwise, you can get the dimming mirrors by ordering it that way.

Keep in mind that Porsche is a SPORT CAR COMPANY and their electronic gadget smarts are not there--the SIM card thing is a good indicator of that.

Get over the minor stuff in the grand scheme of things--and go drive it!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 AM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

yes I bought her off the lot. I know Porsche is a "Sports car company" but I figured now that's it part of the VW-Audi group that they would be able to help them with the electronic stuff... I'm splitting hairs here, the car is awesome and I'm trying to keep her stock for as along as I can, except for the mesh grill, I think that would be a wise investment rather than risk a smashed radiator.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

when the dealer delivered my car, I saw hard water spots all over the steering wheel and center console! arrrg. I'm going to need to clay bar it...

I know Porsche is a "Sports car company" but I figured now that's it part of the VW-Audi group that they would be able to help them with the electronic stuff...
Congrats on the great purchase. You'll love it.

I'm not sure when your car was produced and how long it's been on the lot sitting in the sun, but if it's a fresh one with paint under 90 days old, I'd hold off on clay barring a new car... Simply wash it for now until that paint hardens fully...

Dealer "detail technicians" are usually poorly trained personnel in a high turnover area of the dealership. Yeah, the car will be washed, but for picky people like you and me, not many of these employees can detail themselves out of a wet paper bag. I've taken delivery of some pretty sloppy cars over the years and have seen just a ton of mistakes and poor techniques. I have a concours car as well so I relate to your OCD and there is an art to detailing. Unfortunately, the art form isn't all that prevelent in the wash bay areas of dealerships.

I'm hopin' VW keeps their hands out of Porsche's cars... I've experienced plenty of VW electrical issues to make me not trust their electrical engineers...
Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I'm very OCD and detailed oriented,
I hear you brother, owning a P-car makes it worse
I am actually "CDO"
(it's similar to OCD, but now the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be)
Old 10-12-2011, 02:32 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

[...] Another minor gripe, my car came with Homelink but not self dimmer mirrors and what's the deal with the SIM Card slot?
Porsche has always been a "you can have it your way" car company. From the very beginning when most of the sales were 'bespoke' units. They still do that of course, but the in-between for people who don't want to spend that amount of money is to take the most popular items and make them available as options. Almost nobody wants all of them. As you say, it's a sports car, not an LS460. On the other end, most items on that option list have devoted followers who insist they wouldn't own a car without that basic need satisfied. Self-dimming mirrors are definitely in that category where half of us say "lose the weight" and the other half consider them a staple of life.

Now about that SIM card... uh, what about the SIM card slot? Is it plugged or something?

Gary
Old 10-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

and what's the deal with the SIM Card slot?
If you ordered the $265 Telephone Module option you basically have an internal quadband GSM cell phone built into your PCM, except for the SIM card. That goes in the slot. Is that what you're asking, or are you just remarking on the funkiness of the design? Anyway, congrats on your new GTS!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Thanks again everyone for your feedback.

I mistakenly thought the SIMS slot was a memory card reader to download music and such, I quickly realized that it was for the phone feature, which I thought was kinda of redundant and not needed because I think the blue tooth system actually works pretty well.

Again, minor gripe and I'm maybe splitting hairs.

As far as my OCD, when I went to get my car clear bra'd, the installer was using an old clay bar and was doing it in circles, that drove me nuts! I knew I should have brought my own clay bar and did it myself in an up and down motion... what's done is done...
Old 10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
I am actually "CDO"
(it's similar to OCD, but now the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be)
O.K., that's just plain funny.

It's good to read that there are people worse than me out there. I had a new tire put on last night (the shop let's me stand next to the balancer so I can see the numbers) and the owner if the place was wiping off some of the lube from the rim with one of those red shop towels and all I could think about was how that synthetic fabric greasy towel was micro scratching my rim...

Quick Reply: My impressions on my 2011 GTS after 1 week of ownership