Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 blew huge amts blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

check oil level first and drain out if it shows upper line lit.
also, before you shut down car - let it run at least 10-15sec on idle.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrians
and I parked in the exact same spot on the side of the road. The shoulder is sloped enough for the R wheels to be 8-10" lower than the L wheels. And there it sat for an hour until I restarted and saw the smoke. I park in this exact spot every time - and the smoke happened twice out of 6 times. Any reason why parking on a side hill would have anything to do with blowing blue smoke upon start-up?
As I was reading the previous posts I was thinking "I wonder if he was parked on an incline?".

That is the exact reason for the smoking. 8-10 inches of side slope is huge! While parked the oil is flooding the bottom side of the pass side pistons. Some oil will leak past the rings into the combustion chamber while the car sits. The longer it sits like this the more oil that makes it past the rings. On start-up all this oil gets burned out gradually. More oil is still stuck down in the rings and slowly burns away.

Your oil level is fine. Your gauge is confirming that.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
As I was reading the previous posts I was thinking "I wonder if he was parked on an incline?".

That is the exact reason for the smoking. 8-10 inches of side slope is huge! While parked the oil is flooding the bottom side of the pass side pistons. Some oil will leak past the rings into the combustion chamber while the car sits. The longer it sits like this the more oil that makes it past the rings. On start-up all this oil gets burned out gradually. More oil is still stuck down in the rings and slowly burns away.

Your oil level is fine. Your gauge is confirming that.
I agree with the conclusion, though I've never had occasion to analyse the situation so I cannot professionally confirm the details. Basically, a boxer engine has the cylinders lying flat that in other cars are close to vertical. Lots of subtle effects of that design including excellent inherent balance that permits high output, but one of those subtle side effects is oil from the sides of the cylinder wall not draining away from the piston when the car sits at a cockeyed angle. What Rolling Art describes is very likely.

My memory insists that when it was functioning better, it had a dim record of flat aircraft engines requiring special attention to avoid problems related to this. Not that anyone but a bush pilot is likely to park an aircraft as many degrees off level as the OP describes.

Gary
Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen this happen 1st person before as well.

my understanding is that if the piston in the engine stops at TDC - and the car is in the right position - oil can get into the engine and cause a significant amount of smoke to come out. As in - I can't see anything at all behind this car at all and it's like the 2x3 times the size of the car itself kind of thing.

something to do with the flat 6 design.

the car I saw it do this on did not have problems that I know of.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

I am pretty sure it was in this forum that this issue was canvassed and P cars were compared to Subarus, both having exhibited this behavior with oil getting past the rings on a boxer engine parked at an angle. Might search "subaru" in here or 6speed forum.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:45 PM
kev_song
Instructor

It happens to me from time to time, but its usually when I don't bring the engine to operating temp. Usually when I have to move the cars around at the house I have it running for all of one minute from cold. The next time I started I get the blue puff. I don't think its anything to worry about.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:13 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Agree- common on boxer engines. My old BMW bikes used to do this when parked on the side stand(leaning over) but not when parked on the center stand (perfectly upright).
Old 11-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Poly
5th Gear

Default 997.1 Blue Smoke

My 2007 C2 blows blue smoke upon startup too, when I previously ran car for less than minute, this sometimes happens when I move the car around to get another car out of driveway.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:26 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 204 Posts

This past weekend my wife and I drove out to Pittsburgh for the Vintage Grand Prix, and my 2011 C2S (997.2) was part of the Patron's parade lap of the track right before the racing started. They had us stage the cars just off track, and my car was parked at a slight downward incline for about 90 minutes (I'd estimate it was only 5-10 degrees, with the front facing downward). When I started the car after sitting like that for 90+ minutes, there was an enormous oil cloud! My car has never emitted even a puff of blue smoke prior to this, so at first I assumed it was coming from another car in line for the parade. But when we moved up slightly, I realized (in horror) that all the oil smoke I was seeing in my rearview mirror was actually coming from MY CAR?!?! Long story short, the oil smoke was gone after a minute or two, but I'm going to keep a close eye on the oil level for the next few months. And I'm not going to park on any more hills! When I change oil, I always fill to the middle of the fill range (recommended practice for DFI engines), so I know it's not an issue with being over-filled. Sounds like this could be normal behavior for our beloved boxer engines. I have since driven the car 300+ miles, and no sign of oil smoke since.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:36 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Great post and knowledge ! - I would have leaned towards overfill initially but now believe it's the incline. Thanks !
Old 07-23-2019, 11:02 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

It could be over-filled or tilt parking. In the case of post #24 there was rear-to-front tilt only and it was moderate and I would bet his issue is overfilling.

Many 911 owners strive to fill oil to the top line - that is a major problem, especially if the oil was filled at 68F and next they drive the car on a 100F day.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

This is an almost 8 year old thread. That said, if anyone is interested, do an advanced search using the key words oil smoke, and the author Macster - and choose the 997 Forum only. He has a number of interesting posts on oil smoke.
The following users liked this post:
mikes70 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 11:41 PM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrians
OP here. Responding to oil change sequence - yes, I had both the drain plug and the oil filter housing out at the same time. Here's a curiosity - it happened again though not as much blue smoke as the first time. I had driven 10 mins to a park where I run - and I parked in the exact same spot on the side of the road. The shoulder is sloped enough for the R wheels to be 8-10" lower than the L wheels. And there it sat for an hour until I restarted and saw the smoke. I park in this exact spot every time - and the smoke happened twice out of 6 times. Any reason why parking on a side hill would have anything to do with blowing blue smoke upon start-up?
A while back I parallel parked on a road with a fairly significant angle and it smoked a bit when I started. I think it was due to the angle, it’s the only time I’ve had it happen. When it did happen it was startling and a little embarrassing.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:05 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I just had the funniest thought - you're out 911 shopping and come across a widow selling her husband's 911. You take it for a test drive with her and talk about how it's critical that these engines don't smoke or burn oil because it cost 10s of $$$ to replace the engines, you park on an incline and stop the car - get out to look about and talk more - maybe even go have a coffee while you 'negotiate'. Get back in the car start it up and a giant plume of smoke comes out. Your price just improved greatly. Especially if you play it up and say you're willing to buy the car but will have to have a flatbed come pick it up. Don't want to risk a kaboom.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I just had the funniest thought - you're out 911 shopping and come across a widow selling her husband's 911. You take it for a test drive with her and talk about how it's critical that these engines don't smoke or burn oil because it cost 10s of $$$ to replace the engines, you park on an incline and stop the car - get out to look about and talk more - maybe even go have a coffee while you 'negotiate'. Get back in the car start it up and a giant plume of smoke comes out. Your price just improved greatly. Especially if you play it up and say you're willing to buy the car but will have to have a flatbed come pick it up. Don't want to risk a kaboom.
And you would be taking advantage of the naive? I would hope not!
The following users liked this post:
MexicoBlueTurboS (07-26-2019)

Quick Reply: 997.2 blew huge amts blue smoke