Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S use in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the ContiExtremeContact DWS tires on my Boxster, which is my year-round daily driver. Do I like them...yes. Are they as good as a summer tire during summer months? No. Are they as good as a winter tire in the winter? No.

However, in my case, I have put convenience before all other considerations and having one set of wheels/tires as my objective has been satisfactorily achieved. Given the amount of snow we typically get in New Jersey (on average, 20 inches) and the excellent snow removal efforts made on major highways, this solution works for me.

As an aside, I have Michelin Pilot Sports on my 911 which work great until the temperature sinks below 40 degrees.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used my 997S Convertible in the winter with a separate set of wheels and winter tires. As the 997S was sold a year ago I now have a spare set of wheels and tires for sale :-)

PM me if you're interested.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Gizmogirl256
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
Finally, I drove down to Florida and back last year. The ride was comfortable and I did not notice any undue tire wear.
I'm thinking of taking a trip from the Chicago area down to Atlanta this winter. No issues with the drastic change in weather conditions? I wasn't sure how the winters would hold up in the warmer weather in the south.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmogirl256
I'm thinking of taking a trip from the Chicago area down to Atlanta this winter. No issues with the drastic change in weather conditions? I wasn't sure how the winters would hold up in the warmer weather in the south.
I've been "caught" in hot weather with my winter tires on. The tires are obviously more spongy in 70+ degree temps and they'll roll over a bit more during agressive driving. But, they still provide a great ride quality while cruising.

However, since you are traveling from the snow belt and back again, it's safer to leave the winter tires on and put up with a bit of softness and slightly more wear than get caught in snow with the summer tires on (which simply doesn't work at all).
Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 AM
ashbad66
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveled from Wisconsin to Arizona in January with winter tires. No problem with handling. Beware though. If you damage a tire, a winter replacement will not be in stock anywhere local. I had to wait two days to have one shipped in from Denver. Enjoy the trip.

Quick Reply: Carrera S use in the winter