Sponsored by:

NHTSA IMS registration

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Deathstalker
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHTSA IMS registration

I thougt that I would pass this along to all of you as well. Doing some research for another forum I have found out that from 1998 to date there were only 9 registered IMS failures on the NHTSA website for all 996/997 models, and only 13 for all 986/987 models.

We are encouraging everyone who has had an engine failure to go to the NHTSA's website, and register a complaint with them about the faulty design. The NHTSA needs to have so many complaints on file before they can launch an investigation, and force Porsche to issue a recall for faulty engines. Just fill out the form, and make sure to include the vin number of the vehicle involved.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shocked at the low #s!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where does the NHTSA information source from? It seems that on just this forum alone, I've read of more than the number quoted here....? I work for the govt. and can attest to the fact that reporting agency numbers may not be 100% accurate (WHAT?!) Even anecdotally, we know there are more than this small number of failures. It doesn't appear that there is any way to truly know the number/percentage of failures and what would we really be able to do if we did know? I guess it falls on each owner to decide how best to handle the situation.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathstalker
I thougt that I would pass this along to all of you as well. Doing some research for another forum I have found out that from 1998 to date there were only 9 registered IMS failures on the NHTSA website for all 996/997 models, and only 13 for all 986/987 models.

We are encouraging everyone who has had an engine failure to go to the NHTSA's website, and register a complaint with them about the faulty design. The NHTSA needs to have so many complaints on file before they can launch an investigation, and force Porsche to issue a recall for faulty engines. Just fill out the form, and make sure to include the vin number of the vehicle involved.
post this in 996 forum, on planet9 and 6speedonline. you`ll get plenty of people there who had engine replaced.

Quick Reply: NHTSA IMS registration